Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 with optical mod by Grace (update)  (Read 11157 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
Re: V3 with optical mod by Grace
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2005, 01:27:42 AM »
and on top of all this, frank sent me a female/female toslink cable  :'(

Do those even exist?  I've never seen one.  The link you provided to Cascade is a male>male toslink.

maybe it is, but it doesnt have the miniplug that goes INTO the jb

all is right with the world  8)

Very true...sure doesn't have a mini plug.  Just FYI, here's a link to an adapter.  I used to use one of these w/ my JB3 and liked that it was rt. angle and would swivel.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=102&sku=40017

that cablestogo site has some awesome plugs, like a toslink splitter, and a coax to toslink converter
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2005, 01:52:04 AM »
that cablestogo site has some awesome plugs, like a toslink splitter, and a coax to toslink converter

A few quick notes:

<1>  According to casual tests by some TSers a while ago, some passive toslink splitters do not work with the JB3.  Since they're passive, they're not amplifying the signal, and the split signal is too weak for the JB3 to lock onto reliably.  I would not recommend using a passive splitter with your JB3, but if you really need it, try it and see if it works for you.  It may, it may not.

<2>  Not all digital format converters (coax to toslink converters) are created equal.  The one CablesToGo offers looks to me like the infamous "grey box" DFC with which some users encountered problems - namely dropped samples or artifacts - during informal testing.  The Hosa ODL-276 coax <--> optical converter has proven completely reliable with the JB3 and commonly used ADCs.  I think there's even one for sale in the Yard Sale forum.  FWIW, it's sister DFC, the ODL-312 AES <--> optical also has proven completely reliable.  Both are available new at Full Compass for ~$60 shipped if you call (higher if you order direct from their webpage).  So if you dig the CTG DFC, go for it, but know that it may or may not work reliably.

<3>  Some have encountered problems with optical adapters, especially right-angle adapters.  Others have not.  I always liked the integrated right-angle toslink to right-angle mini cable.  No adapters necessary, right-angles for compactness.  Best price I've found is MCM, old thread about it here.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005, 04:48:26 AM »

<3>  Some have encountered problems with optical adapters, especially right-angle adapters.  Others have not.  I always liked the integrated right-angle toslink to right-angle mini cable.  No adapters necessary, right-angles for compactness.  Best price I've found is MCM, old thread about it here.

I tried to buy one from MCM, but they are out of stock till feb. thanks for the tip on the converter stuff!  ;D
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: V3 with optical mod by Grace (update)
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2005, 02:26:50 PM »
i see jamie from the workshop out at shows pretty often too.

He runs a Mini-Me, right?  ;)

Offline mm-pro

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Studio Mole
    • Michael McInnis Productions
Re: V3 with optical mod by Grace (update)
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005, 08:43:17 AM »
Just a heads up.

Most Sears stores with an electronics department carry Toshiba optical cables with included mini format adapters.

In smaller towns, it may be the only place you have a chance to find them in stock, in a hurry.

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions

KM-183; KM-184; Pearl MSH10; MKH30-40; 460B > FR-2; FR2-LE; DA-P1; MicrotrackII; Traveller; UltraLite

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.161 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com