Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I love the JB3 damit  (Read 10423 times)

CHURCH-AUDIO

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I love the JB3 damit
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 11:46:51 PM »
I will take my JB3 apart and see what the model number is and report back. I also think drive cache has somthing to do with it. The whining noise is something to do with grounding on the drive or a bad power supply circuit. I wounder what would happen if a person used copper shielding tape? to isolate the drives electromegnetic and emi field from the JB3 Main board might be worth checking out for the people that do not want to change the drive?. I also like the new firmware with the boost its great still the monitoring section is very noisy. I have learned you can not judge real noise by lisiting to the monitoring fuction while recording. It sounds noisy and then when you listen to it after being copied to your computer the noise is not there.

Chris - do you have model # on the drive you used...?

I've been suspicious of the drives since people started reporting this noise...

Roving Sign

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »

Just remember the split is at the 3 hour mark and that it is NOT seamless. If you hit the 3 hour mark in the middle of a song, you will lose a few seconds of music.

???  I've run over the 3hr mark in continuous mode a couple times and each one there was perhaps a micro sec of gap... certainly not seconds.  YMMV

I think the earlier firmware verisons left a gap -

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 01:46:09 AM »

I would not recommend this for analog recording.  The ADC is reasonable, but not great.  But the problem is that every so often you can hear hard drive noises on the recording.  A high-pitched whine/buzz every 30 seconds or so.  I'm not suprised, since everything is so closely packed in there.  What suprises me is people using really high end gear (Neumann, Scheops, etc) then putting into analog in on a NJB3 or similar.

I have heard 'of' this problem, but I have used my: AT 831's > SP BB > (line-in) JB3, set-up quite a bit...and I have never had one issue with hard drive noise.
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »

Just remember the split is at the 3 hour mark and that it is NOT seamless. If you hit the 3 hour mark in the middle of a song, you will lose a few seconds of music.

???  I've run over the 3hr mark in continuous mode a couple times and each one there was perhaps a micro sec of gap... certainly not seconds.  YMMV

I think the earlier firmware verisons left a gap -

ah ok, my mistake. but I do know it is not seamless, I believe I remember hearing a small pop too at the beginning of a file the jb3 started.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 02:20:18 AM »
Chris - do you have model # on the drive you used...?

I've been suspicious of the drives since people started reporting this noise...

I get hard drive noise when I boost the dB gain.

If I leave it at "0" - all the problems cease to exist.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »
I like my JB3. Definitely a great starter recorder. I definitely want to upgrade to 24 bit soon though.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

RebelRebel

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
I agree about the PA stuff....since i started doing only acoustic/classical recording, all I hear from 24 bit PA tapes is more of what I hate about PA tapes to begin with. the signal that comes out is so destroyed by compression, bad equipment, bad soundmen, etc....what advantage is there in 24 bits of that stuff?and then listening on a multithousand dollar playback system you hear even more ugliness...
now acoustic/classical ...thats where high res is the heat...jb3 is an awesome machine..

16-bit firewire transfers are the SHIT ;D 8)

so true, I've been having the same revelation Nick Pick's had, if I'm making a PA tape, especially in an indoor venue, I almost prefer 16-bit, especially when you factor in transfer time, flac time, dither time, etc. etc.

after hearing v3>modsbm1, my ears definitely might prefer 16-bit most of the time

as much as i wanna go 24-bit, alot of me says WHY? i record in bars/clubs mostly :)

"Why" is the correct question we should all ask ourselves when considering 24-bit. when I finally began to use my ears, all I heard was higher resolution of reverb and crowd noise. however, I need to run these comparisons on a high-end audiophile system, maybe I'll regret it when I'm old enough to get my own and house and listening room...

anyway, so yeah, the jb3 is cool.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 06:42:28 PM »
The jb3 brings home the bacon!

Funny how it seemed like the jb3 market would be history once the MT hit. I had to buy 3 jb3's on ebay before I got a good one (and for only $105). Fortunately I got my money back on the two problem units.

Hard drive noise is also known to vary between units on Archos recorders. My archos has a noisy hard drive.  My jb3 is quiet.. It is great for grabbing boards.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »
I agree about the PA stuff....since i started doing only acoustic/classical recording, all I hear from 24 bit PA tapes is more of what I hate about PA tapes to begin with. the signal that comes out is so destroyed by compression, bad equipment, bad soundmen, etc....what advantage is there in 24 bits of that stuff?and then listening on a multithousand dollar playback system you hear even more ugliness...
now acoustic/classical ...thats where high res is the heat...jb3 is an awesome machine..

so true, I've been having the same revelation Nick Pick's had, if I'm making a PA tape, especially in an indoor venue, I almost prefer 16-bit, especially when you factor in transfer time, flac time, dither time, etc. etc.

after hearing v3>modsbm1, my ears definitely might prefer 16-bit most of the time

as much as i wanna go 24-bit, alot of me says WHY? i record in bars/clubs mostly :)

"Why" is the correct question we should all ask ourselves when considering 24-bit. when I finally began to use my ears, all I heard was higher resolution of reverb and crowd noise. however, I need to run these comparisons on a high-end audiophile system, maybe I'll regret it when I'm old enough to get my own and house and listening room...

thats about what my opinions are at the moment w/ 24-bit teddy, and w/ sweet boxes ala the modsbm1 and a slew of others at 16-bit, why upgrade?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RebelRebel

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 06:46:58 PM »
The ModSBM is a nice sounding piece of equipment for sure....I used one only once unfortunately  but I really liked it.

thats about what my opinions are at the moment w/ 24-bit teddy, and w/ sweet boxes ala the modsbm1 and a slew of others at 16-bit, why upgrade?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:10 AM »
My jb3 was a workhorse too.... it worked flawlessly for a long time.... like over 2 years, until finally one day it started to have problems when I was taping Duo... Ed showed me how to reformat, and that made it work well again, but I had to reformat regularly after that.   Before that show, I had not ever reformatted or defragged the drive.

Since then I've gotten a whole new rig, w/ an R-1, and I also tape in small shithole bars w/ terrible sound, and I still like the sound of my 24-bit recordings more.  However, since every aspect of my rig changed all at once, its difficult for me to single out the change from 16bit to 24bit as the most significant upgrade.

I do believe that the modSBM-1 may not have been the right peice of gear *for me*....
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline TheWildKindness

• Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
My jb3 was a workhorse too.... it worked flawlessly for a long time.... like over 2 years, until finally one day it started to have problems when I was taping Duo... Ed showed me how to reformat, and that made it work well again, but I had to reformat regularly after that.   Before that show, I had not ever reformatted or defragged the drive.

I've been curious to know how important it is to defrag and/or reformat the drive on the JB3? I have been using mine for a year and have never done so. I just upload the recordings onto my computer, do all the editing and burn them on cd's. Once I feel that I have a flawless copy archived on cd, I then erase the recordings off of the JB3. Seems to be working fine....so how important is the defrag/reformat? And when you reformat it, do you have to reload the the firmware? And how do you defrag/reformat this thing anyway? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't really thought much about it and have been wondering what the significance is lately.

Thanks for your help.
 - Shawn
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »

I've been curious to know how important it is to defrag and/or reformat the drive on the JB3? I have been using mine for a year and have never done so. I just upload the recordings onto my computer, do all the editing and burn them on cd's. Once I feel that I have a flawless copy archived on cd, I then erase the recordings off of the JB3. Seems to be working fine....so how important is the defrag/reformat? And when you reformat it, do you have to reload the the firmware? And how do you defrag/reformat this thing anyway? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't really thought much about it and have been wondering what the significance is lately.

Thanks for your help.
 - Shawn

some people format each time they remove a show from the drive - to keep the drive free from errors. it may not be necessary that often (or it may) but you should at least get into the habit of doing it every so often. i try to reformat mine every couple weeks or at the very least once a month if i've been taping a decent bit. you need to access the startup menu by holding down the stop key and inserting a paperclip or some other similar object into the reset hole in the back, when the 1st creative screen pops up release the stop key and press the play button.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline TheWildKindness

• Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »

Thanks for your help.
 - Shawn

some people format each time they remove a show from the drive - to keep the drive free from errors. it may not be necessary that often (or it may) but you should at least get into the habit of doing it every so often. i try to reformat mine every couple weeks or at the very least once a month if i've been taping a decent bit. you need to access the startup menu by holding down the stop key and inserting a paperclip or some other similar object into the reset hole in the back, when the 1st creative screen pops up release the stop key and press the play button.

Thanks for the info. When I re-format the drive, will it still keep the latest firmware on the drive? or will I have to reload it? Do you know anything about defragging the drive? Or is it better/easier to just reformat on occasion? Thanks again for the response TerrapinJ +T for your help.

- Shawn

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

Thanks for your help.
 - Shawn

Thanks for the info. When I re-format the drive, will it still keep the latest firmware on the drive? or will I have to reload it? Do you know anything about defragging the drive? Or is it better/easier to just reformat on occasion? Thanks again for the response TerrapinJ +T for your help.

- Shawn

the firmware will stay on there, but you will have to reset all your settings (backlight time, date, name etc)

the two functions you can use are format and disk cleanup - the disk cleanup is like a defrag I guess, i usually use the two at the same time, format, then do a disk cleanup. if you search around some of the older JB3 threads there should be some specifics as to what each does exactly and how frequently it should be used. i use them as preventative maintenance.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com