Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable needed for connecting digimod UA-5 to JB3 What is best?  (Read 8359 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: cable needed for connecting digimod UA-5 to JB3 What is best?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 08:08:14 PM »
hey how was tuna?    hoping to get a ride next weekend for them in tampa. no worries about the snow, but wondering if fedex can get my ua-5 to me by then. i was promised delivery by 7:00 last night, not here yet
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »
<<<Yes, I've searched through the forum,  and most references I've found point to the SoundPro and readily available EBay cables.  Not what I'm looking for.  Here's what I am looking for in an optical cable:

[1] robust, thick cabling so I can coil it without fear of kinking - something where the cable is as thick as the body of the toslink connector
[2] solid, meaty connectors
[3] right-angle toslink on one end (optional)
[4] right-angle mini on other end (optional)

Does such a thing exist?  I've searched online with poor results (but that's not surprising b/c I suck at the internet).>>>

From Dec '03..  I guess you were once in my shoes and posted a question too......
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 08:14:45 PM »
The show was good.  The opening accoustic set was really great.  The electric set was also good.  I have not seen electric Tuna in 20 years.  I am more a fan of accoustic than I am the electric Tuna though so you might want to get other opinions.  Sound quality was first rate, the boys were on thier game.  Barry played no less than 7 different instruments and the drummer they have (forgot his name) was reaaaally good.  The whole show was two sets and one encore and lasted about 3 hours begining to end with a 1/2 hour  break to take down the accoustic stuff and get the electric show rolling.
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 09:05:59 PM »
sounds cool,   knew this was an electric tour, but didn't think they'd do acustic also. sounds like i'll need to switch tapes at an opertune time ;) instead of trying to get it all on 1.  hoping their not all shitty 'bout taping still, never got an answer to my email.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 12:37:11 AM »
[1] robust, thick cabling so I can coil it without fear of kinking - something where the cable is as thick as the body of the toslink connector
[2] solid, meaty connectors
[3] right-angle toslink on one end (optional)
[4] right-angle mini on other end (optional)

Does such a thing exist?

Heh.  I once sought the exact same thing - check out my first post in this thread (looks like you found this thread already).  AFAIK, no such thing exists.  There are cables that satisfy [1-2], but none that also satisfy [3-4].  If they do satisfy [3-4], they no longer satisfy [1-2].

After getting the SonicWave cable [1-2], I wasn't happy using adapters [3-4] - adapters are just two more links in the chain that could go wrong - so I got the Sound Pros cable and have used it ever since.  While not as robust, it's been bullet-proof for me.  I still carry my SonicWave + adapters as a backup, though, just in case.

IME, the SP cable is plenty robust as long as you're reasonably careful with your gear.  I don't baby mine, but I don't abuse it, either.  And so far, so good.  FYI, you can often find on EBay a cable identical to the SP one, but for < $10 + s/h.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 12:43:04 AM »
sounds cool,   knew this was an electric tour, but didn't think they'd do acustic also. sounds like i'll need to switch tapes at an opertune time ;) instead of trying to get it all on 1.  hoping their not all shitty 'bout taping still, never got an answer to my email.

Off topic, but did Tuna let you tape?
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 02:49:09 AM »
i like the sound professionals rt angle toslink> rt angle mini, it is the only cable you should need and is prolly one of the more rugged ones

just do a search for sound professionals, and find their optical cabnles
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »

<<<Off topic, but did Tuna let you tape?>>>

Yes,  Tuna allows taping.  I was not taping.  (My UA-5 arrived about two hours after I left town for the trip to Boulder and, as it turns out, I would have been short a cable)  There were several tapers there.  Tuna's taping policy is no downloads, bit torrents etc.  Person to person trading is fine.  That is direct from Vanessa last week.  (see the thread on Tuna in Atlanta where I cut and paste her response) I know them personally and sent them an email to get clarification when the Tuna question kept arising on this board.

If people will respect the request about not posting the shows there should be no problems coming up.  They did say a few weeks ago that if the issues of shows going up on the internet does not get under control they will review the policy.

If you end up needing to switch tapes, there is a pretty long break (20-30 minutes) while they clear out the chairs and stuff when they go from accoustic to electric.  Should not be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 09:32:22 AM by bodegahwy »

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 06:50:54 PM »
Thanks everybody,  I ordered the sound pro angle to angle version today and went to walmart for a cheap cable to mess with in the mean time.  They had a 6' cable that comes with two adaptors for about $12.  I'll keep it as a backup once the SP cable arrives.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks everybody, I ordered the sound pro angle to angle version today and went to walmart for a cheap cable to mess with in the mean time. They had a 6' cable that comes with two adaptors for about $12. I'll keep it as a backup once the SP cable arrives.

+T, smart move
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »
i like the sound professionals rt angle toslink> rt angle mini, it is the only cable you should need and is prolly one of the more rugged ones
qft. This one hasn't let me down yet...
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com