Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soldering iron recs?  (Read 7289 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: soldering iron recs?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 04:54:45 PM »
There are people that claim silver solder is better maybe they are correct but to my mind if the connector is not silver and the wire is not silver what difference does it make? 
Chris Church

anyone have any decent but not too overly outrageously price soldering guns?

Sonic Studios is a BIG fan of Weller-(now)Cooper soldering tools.

Silver alloyed solder tends to NOT leach out precious metals.  Switches, connectors, PCB traces, and components with gold plated surfaces, and well as some surface mounted components benefit from silver bearing solder.  I tend to use silver alloy solder for these reasons and because lower temp melting eutectic solders mostly come with ~2% silver alloy. 

BTW Silver is a BETTER conductor of electricity than GOLD.  Gold vs. silver is used because of better oxidation/corrosion resistance of gold. 

A discussion of benefits/detractions of various forms of gold plating found on common connectors is found at: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

CHURCH-AUDIO

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
You are still the master of mic building and a fountain of knowlage as usual.

Chris Church
Church Audio

There are people that claim silver solder is better maybe they are correct but to my mind if the connector is not silver and the wire is not silver what difference does it make? 
Chris Church

anyone have any decent but not too overly outrageously price soldering guns?

Sonic Studios is a BIG fan of Weller-(now)Cooper soldering tools.

Silver alloyed solder tends to NOT leach out precious metals.  Switches, connectors, PCB traces, and components with gold plated surfaces, and well as some surface mounted components benefit from silver bearing solder.  I tend to use silver alloy solder for these reasons and because lower temp melting eutectic solders mostly come with ~2% silver alloy. 

BTW Silver is a BETTER conductor of electricity than GOLD.  Gold vs. silver is used because of better oxidation/corrosion resistance of gold. 

A discussion of benefits/detractions of various forms of gold plating found on common connectors is found at: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 01:04:10 AM »
I went with a Metcal ps-800 and like it a Lot.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com