Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Teenage Engineering TP-7 Field Recorder  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Teenage Engineering TP-7 Field Recorder
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 10:45:18 AM »
Looks like it can record all three inputs simultaneously, each configurable as mono, stereo, or balanced.  That's good.  Says nothing about providing PIP, but there is mention of switching between line-in and "headset-in", which may just be a difference in input gain or might include PIP. 

This description is odd:
"TP-7 is an ultra portable digital tape recorder.."   Tape?  I imagine this to be a translation issue.

As is this statement:
"make sure you always have the TP–7 placed so it is level and sure to remain stable."
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 11:07:53 AM »
Teenage Engineering products are so insanely priced. When I've seen the release videos for some of them, I feel like it's satire. But they are serious.

I still have the original OP-1 and can't justify the prices for any of their newer products. I am just curious on those inputs and if you can run multiple inputs at once.

Yep.  Ridiculously overpriced, like this: https://teenage.engineering/store/field-desk

Lmao, exactly. Looks like an erector set.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 11:49:38 AM »
I have a Pocket Operator PO-12.  Just a cool machine to fool around with.  However, it strikes me like all their products do- fragile.

Keep in mind that Teenage Engineer has a crowd of people using their products who DIY cases, sell those and a variety of other products.  I have a nice hard case on my PO-12.  Eventually there will be several kicking around for the TP-7 I would imagine.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »
Wait a minute.. Looks like the scrub wheel on the TP-7, which they refer to as a "tape reel" spins as the machine is recording and/or playing back.  Deal breaker if that cannot be disabled while recording, doubly so if stopping the wheel pauses the recording (same as it does during playback).

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 12:20:44 PM »
Wait a minute.. Looks like the scrub wheel on the TP-7, which they refer to as a "tape reel" spins as the machine is recording and/or playing back.  Deal breaker if that cannot be disabled while recording, doubly so if stopping the wheel pauses the recording (same as it does during playback).

Yes it does rotate, and note the rocker switch that would be a pain in the ass (at a minimum) for the type of recording we do around these parts.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »

Again these are niche products and people eat this shit up. I doubt it.

http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 02:22:51 PM »
Too bad. 

Yeah the rocker switch looks vulnerable to activation or damage, but I envision that being fixed by wedging something under both sides to disable and support it. Maybe a 3d printed insert that would snap into place.

But, if the spinning wheel got to go 'round,
better just ride a painted pony..

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
This is an expensive toy, and not at all practical. I'm sure there will be people who buy it, use it a couple times, and forget about it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2023, 11:14:55 PM »
This is an expensive toy, and not at all practical. I'm sure there will be people who buy it, use it a couple times for Instagram posts, and forget about it.

FTFY  ;)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 05:52:49 PM »
$1500 + NO P48 ?!!!!
Sheeeesh !
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2023, 01:53:25 PM »
Not exactly the TP-7, but I did order the TX-6 to use as a six input interface to record onto a DAW on phone. More details and impressions to come...will be testing it out this weekend. If it holds up I may take it for a field test at the Cure on Monday.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 11:46:55 AM »
Not technically about the TP-7, but figured it would fit with the general Teenage Engineering theme of this thread.

So I have this thread to thank for the missing $2000 in my bank account. Picked up the T.E. TX-6 (not the TP7) as the six stereo channels mini-mixer. It's able to plug into a phone, and then can record multitrack to the phone.

Got the mixer in on Friday. Tried hard to get it to work with two different Android phone, but could only get partial functionality. Ugh. Plugged it into my ipad, and had it working within a few minutes. Plugged into my girlfriends ancient Iphone 6, and had it recording six stereo feeds within two minutes. Guess it's Apple or bust for this. Ordered an Iphone 12 Pro as a dedicated phone for this rig.

Stress tested it at home and seemed to work. Battery life on the TX-6 seems to last about eight hours total. Ordered little usb-c hub that will hopefully allow me to provide external power while it's running.

Took it out for first field test last night with Interrupters at local venue here in Sacramento. Ran six stereo monitor feed inputs to the TX6 (they only had six, so perfect setup). Seemed to work well! Only hiccup was when turning on the phone, it said it needed to connect to the app store before firing up the DAW app (Roland Zentracker). Had to turn on hotspot on my Android phone, and came through.

I made a little 1/8" cord snake. The spacing on the inputs is VERY tight, so you need the very slim cables to fit.

Monitoring was easy. Can adjust monitoring levels easily on the Zentracker program, which then sends the two channel mix back to the main headphone out on the TX-6.

All and all, very intriguing. Need to take out for a stealth pull next.
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2023, 06:11:03 PM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for the report, will stay tuned..

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2023, 10:49:22 AM »
Have you had a chance to try a stealth pull yet?  Specs seem to be line-in only, no plugin powering or mic pres.  On the other hand, firmware upgrade should allow recording to usb card, no phone needed.  Have you tried that?  (TX-6 questions, edit)

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »
Have you had a chance to try a stealth pull yet?  Specs seem to be line-in only, no plugin powering or mic pres.  On the other hand, firmware upgrade should allow recording to usb card, no phone needed.  Have you tried that?  (TX-6 questions, edit)

Yep, I've done couple stealth pulls and doing one more tomorrow.

Recording onto a USB stick is only the matrix output, not each individual channel. That's a no-go for me. It is line-in only.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com