Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Field Recorder" Android app - wow, it's good!  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
"Field Recorder" Android app - wow, it's good!
« on: June 25, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »
Last night I attended a trad jazz gig, and decided to deploy a low profile (in other words, not really stealth) recording system, comprising an Ambeo binaural headset feeding my Android phone via its usb-C socket, using a suitable adapter.  The Ambeo is really only intended for iOS but it's adaptable for Android.

I used the "Field Recorder" app which I bought some years ago but never really tried for an actual gig.  Playing around with it at home I grew increasingly impressed with it, and my overall feeling is that it offers a feature set which probably exceeds any hand held recorder of the conventional type.  And I suspect some additional features have been added since I bought it.  At the end of the three-set gig the phone (Pixel 7a) still had about 60% battery left, and it didn't start totally full.

The pros -

- Highly detailed meters with configurable peak indicators - the meters go from top to bottom of the screen, and there's almost no aspect of their operation that can't be configured.
- Alternative displays for normal GUI, waveform, spectral analysis and "sonogram".
- Readout of either time elapsed, date/time, free space, and remaining time
- The entire setup can be saved as a named preset and quickly recalled.
- Various inputs are available, though naming is slightly enigmatic - "Raw" seems to be the one for the Ambeo
- Stereo or mono can be set with one tap
- Level boost can be set with a slider, or with numeric values
- There a classy configurable limiter, and also a "softclip" option. 
- Prerecord of up to 90 seconds can be set (but that's device dependent).
- Monitoring can be on or off (best off with the Ambeo due to time delay, and it has its own instant monitor anyway)
- Recording EQ, configurable, is available (or off).  OK, youi shouldn't apply EQ when recording, but it's there if you have to.
- Playback can be set to be plus zero db through to +40dB within the app
- Highly configurable auto start / stop
- General settings which cover more stuff than you ever thought of
- All controls can be set to instantly lock when recording starts
- Turning off the screen isn't a problem during recording - you can shove it in your pocket witht the screen either on and locked, or off.
- App can be set to run automatically as soon as the input device is connected

Cons - It's not free.  But something this fully featured can't be expected to be.

Sample from the gig - https://on.soundcloud.com/3YoLn - this is the first item from the gig, and they were louder than expected, so the limiter and soft clipping features came into play, I'm sure.  The upload to Soundcloud was direct from the phone file unmodified.   Because there was a busy dance floor in front of the band I had to sit further back than I would have chosen, but it's not to bad for all that.  The binaural sound on speakers sounds a bit bass shy to me, though nicely stereo, but on headphones or earbuds, it's significantly different.  I believe that's a consequence of the binaural principal. 

Offline jielkade

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: "Field Recorder" Android app - wow, it's good!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 09:44:18 AM »
Hello.
"using a suitable adapter" : any reference easy to find ?

very nice immersive sound, clean live. bravo!

against the wind: https://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/micro-windjammers/?fbclid=IwAR2Ghdt4sOE8QQYsta1uVrQMr3PlOye41ThDCRjkTifHb73f9KEXd4-lUe0
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:39:49 AM by jielkade »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »
Highly detailed meters with configurable peak indicators

To what sensitivity can the meters be set to extend down to at the quiet end of things?
Can it be set low enough to see the noise floor?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 11:36:02 AM »
I 2nd the  motion about this field recorder. I used it last thursday for the first time with the cable that sound professional sells plugged into my samsung 22 with ca 14's recording mikaela davis..very nice fir $4.99!

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
I have looked at their web site and played around with it for a bit, but I can't figure out how to set the levels. Can someone clue me in?

A cool feature of the app is that there are built-in profiles that are optimized for different scenarios. You can create your own profiles and save/share them. It would be cool if some of us shared their favorite configs!

Offline thebigredone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:32:30 PM »
Last night I attended a trad jazz gig, and decided to deploy a low profile (in other words, not really stealth) recording system, comprising an Ambeo binaural headset feeding my Android phone via its usb-C socket, using a suitable adapter.  The Ambeo is really only intended for iOS but it's adaptable for Android.

I used the "Field Recorder" app which I bought some years ago but never really tried for an actual gig.  Playing around with it at home I grew increasingly impressed with it, and my overall feeling is that it offers a feature set which probably exceeds any hand held recorder of the conventional type.  And I suspect some additional features have been added since I bought it.  At the end of the three-set gig the phone (Pixel 7a) still had about 60% battery left, and it didn't start totally full.

The pros -

- Highly detailed meters with configurable peak indicators - the meters go from top to bottom of the screen, and there's almost no aspect of their operation that can't be configured.
- Alternative displays for normal GUI, waveform, spectral analysis and "sonogram".
- Readout of either time elapsed, date/time, free space, and remaining time
- The entire setup can be saved as a named preset and quickly recalled.
- Various inputs are available, though naming is slightly enigmatic - "Raw" seems to be the one for the Ambeo
- Stereo or mono can be set with one tap
- Level boost can be set with a slider, or with numeric values
- There a classy configurable limiter, and also a "softclip" option. 
- Prerecord of up to 90 seconds can be set (but that's device dependent).
- Monitoring can be on or off (best off with the Ambeo due to time delay, and it has its own instant monitor anyway)
- Recording EQ, configurable, is available (or off).  OK, youi shouldn't apply EQ when recording, but it's there if you have to.
- Playback can be set to be plus zero db through to +40dB within the app
- Highly configurable auto start / stop
- General settings which cover more stuff than you ever thought of
- Turning off the screen isn't a problem during recording - you can shove it in your pocket witht the screen either on and locked, or off.
- App can be set to run automatically as soon as the input device is connected

Cons - It's not free.  But something this fully featured can't be expected to be.

Sample from the gig - https://on.soundcloud.com/3YoLn - this is the first item from the gig, and they were louder than expected, so the limiter and soft clipping features came into play, I'm sure.  The upload to Soundcloud was direct from the phone file unmodified.   Because there was a busy dance floor in front of the band I had to sit further back than I would have chosen, but it's not to bad for all that.  The binaural sound on speakers sounds a bit bass shy to me, though nicely stereo, but on headphones or earbuds, it's significantly different.  I believe that's a consequence of the binaural principal.

Which setting did you have it on and which mic? Thanks.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 07:21:09 PM »
Highly detailed meters with configurable peak indicators

To what sensitivity can the meters be set to extend down to at the quiet end of things?
Can it be set low enough to see the noise floor?
-84dB can be set - or -60 or -40

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 07:30:04 PM »
I have looked at their web site and played around with it for a bit, but I can't figure out how to set the levels. Can someone clue me in?

A cool feature of the app is that there are built-in profiles that are optimized for different scenarios. You can create your own profiles and save/share them. It would be cool if some of us shared their favorite configs!

It seems to assume that you would only want to boost levels.  That's fine with the Ambeo which has an attenuated output setting onboard, which then at this gig needed +10db to give a good result (although I think it would have made no difference to add 10dB in post instead).

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 07:32:07 PM »

Which setting did you have it on and which mic? Thanks.

As stated, I used the Sennheiser Ambeo binaural headset for input and I created my own preset.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 12:37:24 AM »

It seems to assume that you would only want to boost levels.  That's fine with the Ambeo which has an attenuated output setting onboard, which then at this gig needed +10db to give a good result (although I think it would have made no difference to add 10dB in post instead).
But how do you actually change the levels in the user interface?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 07:00:27 AM »
To change levels, tap the boost button.  That either gives you numeric values to choose, or a slider.  Which you get, and how it works, is configurable.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 07:28:36 AM »
Here's the blurb from the app store.  One interesting thing is that the limiter and soft clip feature only work if you are boosting the original signal.  In the sample I posted, I didn't use boost, and the level was enough to trigger the clip indicators a couple of times.  Well, maybe I'm getting too old to hear clipping, but it sounds fine to me nevertheless.

"Turn your Android into a high-quality audio recorder!

Features

Field Recorder provides easy-to-use presets for standard audio recording tasks. However, it is designed for professional use as it provides more than 85 options to customize it to the given device and situation.

Unlock the potential of your microphones: Record music events, phone calls, interviews, meetings, band rehearsals, lectures, voice messages, dictation, eavesdropping…

From high-quality stereo recording to basic wide-band audio. Instantly after recording, send e.g. your interview to your broadcasting team, your concert recording to your friends, a voice dictation to your secretary, or add a speech to the archive.

Field Recorder is only available on Google Play!

Turn your Android into a high-quality audio recorder!

Features

Field Recorder provides easy-to-use presets for standard audio recording tasks. However, it is designed for professional use as it provides more than 85 options to customize it to the given device and situation.

⚫ Built-in and external microphones are supported and also 'class-compliant' USB soundcards with Android 5

⚫ Records and plays mono or stereo wav files

⚫ Supports file overwrite and resume recording

⚫ Convert your recordings to mp3, AAC or FLAC via free helper apps, share or send them

⚫ Up to 90 seconds pre- and 4s post recording. You won't miss any important stuff even if you are too late at the record button

⚫ Auto start, stop, and continue, depending on loudness. The control signal can be additionally filtered to optimize it for voice recording or other sounds

⚫ When recording, automatic stop at 4GB maximum file size and even seamless restart of a new file is available (activate auto start with the minimum threshold)

⚫ High-precision stereo audio recording engine with various low-cut filters, minimum-phase shelving and parametric equalizers, and stereo balance correction e.g. to compensate for flaws of the microphones or optimize for speech. Also with recording booster, configurable limiters, soft clipping, and high-quality monitoring

⚫ Wav player with volume maximizer, silent and audible fast-forward and fast-rewind, and low-latency random access to any play position via progress bar

⚫ Recordings are stored internally or on any chosen SD card. Default is SD card. Recordings are visible to your favorite player

⚫ Almost 10.000 colors available for the metallic-brushed skin. Also, you choose round or rectangular LEDs, left-hand operation, button size, and your favorite color for the display area

First steps and testing

Use the 2 hours refund period to test how audio recording works on your phone. Touch "Factory" in the display area and you probably find a preset in the cloud perfectly adapted to your smartphone!

Or try the different input configurations from "In:MicA" to "In:MicE". If you activate "Monitor", use headphones to avoid a sound feedback loop. Check without creating audio files, just by pressing the pause button which activates the level meters. Then you see a date/time string as the potential file name. It is created only if you press the record button

Hints
⚫ If you modify a preset, its name gets gray in the display area
⚫ Playback can amplify quiet recordings by choosing e.g. "Play +20dB" without distortion due to a 2nd limiter. The Monitor switch affects only recording
⚫ Touch the "time/position/free" label to show the remaining recording duration
⚫ Touch battery symbol to toggle between battery and CPU usage
⚫ Touch "CLP" to reset red LEDs
⚫ The level meter shows peak amplitudes or the start/stop control signal. Touch it to open its configuration menu
⚫ Active auto start overrules pressing the pause button
⚫ The 1.5kHz filter optimizes the auto start/stop control signal for speech. 750Hz better suppresses disturbing sound with high frequencies, 3kHz with low frequencies
⚫ Soft Clipping is active above -3dBFS
⚫ Limiting and Soft Clipping work only if Boost is greater than 0dB
⚫ "Boost 40dB" or more might produce hardware feedback loop if power supply is instable
⚫ Overwrite and Append modify existing recordings (warning can be switched on/off)
⚫ Activate flight mode to reduce noise floor"

The developer's website with comprehensive release notes is at http://www.pfitzingervoicedesign.com/ and there's pages of background info at http://www.pfitzingervoicedesign.com/field_recorder/index.html - you'll need to run it through translation software however.

Hopefully these notes will answer questions both now and in the future but please ask me anything that's unclear.  I may, or may not, be able to answer!

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 02:00:32 PM »
Can you lock the app?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 06:46:06 PM »
Can you lock the app?

If not set to auto-lock, you can simply tap the lock button at any time.

I haven't actually tried doing something else with the phone while recording, but as a general principle to guard against the unexpected I wouldn't push my luck in that respect.  You can choose an option whereby you will get an automatic warning if you start recording with the phone not in airplane mode.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »

Sounds fine on a quick listen!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 01:34:03 AM »
Thanks Morst - it would have been better had I been closer, but at the end of the day it was only really intended for "post mortem" purposes for the musicians, rather than as an example of good audio, and I think they will be able to get an idea of what it sounded like for the audience.

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2023, 10:11:08 AM »
I agree with morst...sounds fine to me on AirPods Pro. This was my first time listening to a tape made with the Ambeo headset and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 12:16:35 PM »
Thanks.  At one time they were being cleared at very low prices - dunno if still available - I bought a white one.  Then I bought a black one.  Well, I view it as a fashion accessory as well as a piece of recording kit.   :banging head:

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2023, 02:59:46 PM »
Looks like they're $50 on amazon (and elsewhere, likely).

Was thinking about grabbing one, but the lightning connector going away soon is giving me pause...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2023, 04:26:26 AM »
If the lightning connector is being replaced on apple devices with a USB-C connector, well, the adapter which I use with my Android phone might well function with a non-lightning apple device??

Offline jielkade

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2023, 04:37:14 AM »
Anker adapter ok with my Huawei mate 20.
EDIT: sorry, only mono because Huawei hardware restriction.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 09:38:54 AM by jielkade »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com