Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 troubles  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Joe DiDia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Home Page
JB3 troubles
« on: July 12, 2004, 04:56:36 PM »
So here's a story that I hope will warn others.  This weekend I ventured out to chicago to catch nathanson/howie/OAR on saturday, and last night there was a howie solo show at schuba's.  Being the doofus I am, I forgot to bring my charger for the JB3.  Taped Nathanson/howie/OAR on saturday night, no problems, sounds great.  Last night at the howie show, I saw my battery meter dwindling down, hoping it would last, ended up to the last song in the encore and it was still running.  At the end of the show, I checked it one last time, noticed it was dead.  Kinda shrugged, said fuck it, I got 95% of the show, patted myself on the back, drove home to Michigan.  Getting home, anxious to listen to my tape, I plug the AC adapter into the JB3, plug it into my computer to transfer the weekends shows to my computer, but something's wrong.

When the battery died, the recording didnt' save, it's gone.  I guess I assumed it would autosave before it shutdown.  Anyway to recover what was recorded like a temp or backup file?  If not, my warning to others, when you see your battery meter dying down, cut your losses and just stop recording.  Don't know if this has been brought up before, but I figured if I didnt' know about it, then others may not as well.  huge kill joy.   :-\

Peace,
Joe

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
Re: JB3 troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 10:16:37 PM »
I was under the assumption that the JB3 had the auto-save feature and there are no settings for it.I have let my JB3 die at the end of the show, accidentally. It gives me a higher pitched tone in one channel for a few ninutes and then saves and shuts itself down. What firmware are you running?
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:35:15 PM »
Auto-save should work if you are running off the internal batteries.  I know for external batteries is the danger of if they run out you lose the recording but for your situation it should have worked.   Never actually tried it myself because I am always better off safe then sorry with regards to batteries being fully charged.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:25:26 AM »
What firmware version do you have?  The auto shutdown is definitely in 1.32 but I don't know about earlier versions.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:23:52 AM »
The auto-save is NOT reliable.  I did a home test recording once with internal batteries, it died without saving the recording.  Other times it died with saving it.  One way or the other, don't trust it.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »
and this is why i use a 7.2 Ah SLA w/ a car plug to power mine.

I keep the batteries in it, too, fully charged, just in case the SLA runs out or somehow gets disconnected.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com