Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 external power  (Read 94000 times)

Offline Robby Grossman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • 17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D
    • http://www.robbygrossman.com
Re: JB3 external power
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2004, 12:07:13 AM »
recordista--I'm looking at the pt7ht205 you alluded to for my jb3.  On a seperate note, do you think if I got the 8V version I could power mu ua5 with it?  Or should I better stick to 9V for that?  Just curious, I'm trying to plan out how I want to run everything.  I'm thinking

12V, 7.2Ah > split

split 1 > 5.0 VR > Adaptaplug B > JB3
split 2 > 8.0 or 9.0 VR > Adaptaplug M > UA5

What does everyone think?
--Robby
AIM: RobbyPlaysGuitar

17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D

Offline recordista

• Taperssection Newbie
  • WTF?
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2004, 01:51:29 AM »
I'm looking at the pt7ht205 you alluded to for my jb3.  On a seperate note, do you think if I got the 8V version I could power mu ua5 with it?  Or should I better stick to 9V for that?

Dunno--what are the current requirements for your UA5?

TI (Power Trends) offers 1A, 1.5A, and 2A variants in the same series of switching regulators.  The lower power versions tend to tolerate wider input voltages and cost less.  See PT5100 series and PT78HT100 series

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2004, 11:41:32 AM »
it pulls just under 400mA with phantom on.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2004, 11:47:55 AM »
the ua5 runs fine off of 12v, why put a regulator inline for it?

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: JB3 external power -- 9volt lithium ion>?>jb3
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2004, 12:01:56 PM »
Changing thread direction -- I've tried to keep up with this thread, but don't believe I've seen this answered clearly and succintly.  I really like my 9volt lithium ion battery/ua5 combination and would like to use a 9volt lithium ion battery to power the ua5 as well. 

Looking for an easy, straightforward solution.

Will the previously-mentioned wallmart cigarette lighter adaptor work to do this if fed 9 volts (instead of 12)?

If not, I have enough soldiering experience to hack a voltage regulator together myself.  What parts should I buy and where can I get them -- links are fine?

Finally, anybody running a ua5/jb3 off of a single wallmart 9volt lithium ion battery?  If so, what are your runtimes?

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2004, 02:14:10 PM »
Is that really safe though in the long haul?  (Excuse my ignorance)..
--Robby

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: JB3 external power -- 9volt lithium ion>?>jb3
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2004, 02:17:25 PM »
If not, I have enough soldiering experience to hack a voltage regulator together myself.  What parts should I buy and where can I get them -- links are fine?
I don't think that would work, as the mathematics behind wall worts and other adapters is not linear.  VR's are easy as cake, too.  I would recommend looking at www.jameco.com.  Look under Semiconductors, then "Analog" and you should see a bunch of VRs.  Just find a 3-pin (Vin, Vout and Gnd) with the voltage and amperage you need!
--Robby

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2004, 02:18:25 PM »
I believe the wall wart puts out 12 volts.  Check this thread: http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&topic_id=1146&mesg_id=1149&page=

Doug Oade states the UA5 will "work fine" with 12v.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2004, 02:20:55 PM »
thanks for the VR info -- should be simple to hack together and test out.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2004, 02:21:47 PM »
Is that really safe though in the long haul?  (Excuse my ignorance)..

If memory serves, the UA5 specs say 9v but the wallwart puts out 12v.  What DNSacks said.  I imagine if they're shipping it with a 12v wallwart, you're probably okay running it on 12v all the time in the field.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline recordista

• Taperssection Newbie
  • WTF?
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2004, 02:22:12 PM »
What is he trying to accomplish?

I'm not familiar with the UA5, but if the goal is to make it run on a higher voltage than it was originally deisgned for while maximizing battery life, the correct way to accomplish it would be to replace the internal voltage regulator(s) with something that has a wider supply tolerance or better efficiency.

e.g. if it has a 7805 inside you could start by putting a heatsink on it (allowing it to tolerate the higher supply voltages for which the device is already rated but might not endure in its current location.)  Getting fancier, you could replace it with a PT5105 or PT78ST105 depending on the actual +5 load current.  Be careful of switching noise, however.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2004, 02:36:15 PM »
I believe the issue is that the ua5's back panel states that it needs 9 volts dc.  The wallwart states that it puts out 9 volts, but hooking it up to a voltmeter shows it actually puts out 12.  Further, Doug Oade, who has a fair bit of experience with the intricacies of these (performing digital mods, line stage mods, etc.) has indicated that no problems are caused by powering the ua5 @ 12volts.

Offline recordista

• Taperssection Newbie
  • WTF?
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2004, 02:51:13 PM »
I believe the issue is that the ua5's back panel states that it needs 9 volts dc.  The wallwart states that it puts out 9 volts, but hooking it up to a voltmeter shows it actually puts out 12.

This is not unusual when measuring without a load.  Does it still read 9V when the UA5 is operating off it?

Doug Oade, who has a fair bit of experience with the intricacies of these (performing digital mods, line stage mods, etc.) has indicated that no problems are caused by powering the ua5 @ 12volts.

Doug knows his stuff so I guess the OP is fine.

Still might be able to up the efficiency by either replacing internal regulators or adding an efficient switcher to reduce the 12V current draw.

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2004, 01:16:56 AM »
hi...forgive me for only reading 4 pages of this and then posting, but i dont even own a JB3 yet, but was considering getting a refurbished one (as i understand thats all that is available anyway...) as my D8 isnt being as reliable as it should...

the thing is, i use those EC-90 6v/12v batteries to run my D8 and my minime at the same time. ive seen that you can use the 12v side to power the JB3 but i need that for the minime's power...so im wondering is there any way to use the 6v side to power the JB3? i dont want to let my purchase of 3 of those monsters go to waste...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2004, 03:11:56 AM »
not realistically jacob, unfortunately :'(

you could prolly run both the jb3 and mme off of the same 12v side, but as you know that would drastically reduce the 12v sides power :'(

so if i were you i may just buy an extra set of batteries or just build a somewhat small 12v setup just for the jb3 + internals :)so a small 12v 4.5 amp + internals would get ya great runtime for the size/price IMO :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com