Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does the UA5 DigiMod disable USB output?  (Read 6348 times)

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:Does the UA5 DigiMod disable USB output?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 10:29:02 PM »
The digi mod effects the usb in that it will not send a signal back through to your usb for monitoring.  For most of us this is a non-issue.  It does become an issue if you are multi-tracking and want to play and record at the same time.  So if you record some tracks into Cubase or Nuendo and want to record and playback at the same time, it won't work.  That is why a switchable digimod is so desireable.  

I really wish Oade put a switch in for it, but they remove the resistor.  I couldn't add a switch if I wanted to :(.
Mike

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 07:43:35 AM »
The digi mod effects the usb in that it will not send a signal back through to your usb for monitoring.  For most of us this is a non-issue.  It does become an issue if you are multi-tracking and want to play and record at the same time.  So if you record some tracks into Cubase or Nuendo and want to record and playback at the same time, it won't work.  That is why a switchable digimod is so desireable.  

I really wish Oade put a switch in for it, but they remove the resistor.  I couldn't add a switch if I wanted to :(.

according to the DIY instructions for the digi-mod, you dont remove any resistor, you just cut 1 trace and a jumper

the water's clean and innocent

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 12:16:59 PM »
You have a choice about removing the resistor or cutting the trace.  Both are effective ways of 'breaking' the signal path.  I opted to cut the trace because it can be repaired easily with a trace pen if you change your mind.  I do not know how to solder SMD resistors back in place with a good old fashioned soldering iron.

Doug Oade had posted emphatically that you should not cut the trace.  His opinion.   Most of the UA-5s that get messed up by DIYers have a problem with the jumper, not the cut trace.  With the jumper, the soldering work is close to some other traces and a little dribble of extra solder in the wrong place will interfere with the s/pdif output.  It's pretty easy to tell because the optical light will not come on.   Nothing permanent - you just have to clean up your work (don't ask...)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 05:11:02 AM »
according to the DIY instructions for the digi-mod, you dont remove any resistor, you just cut 1 trace and a jumper

You completely misread me.  I have an Oade digi-mod... they physically remove something from the board.
Mike

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 07:08:55 PM »
yea, i got a solder pen and lifted the lid only to discover that the resister was removed. Oh well, I prolly would have screwed something up anyhow, it's a LOT smaller then the pictures look. I can hold off another month for this unit. http://www.edirol.com/products/info/fa101.html
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 10:18:09 PM »
yea, i got a solder pen and lifted the lid only to discover that the resister was removed. Oh well, I prolly would have screwed something up anyhow, it's a LOT smaller then the pictures look. I can hold off another month for this unit. http://www.edirol.com/products/info/fa101.html

The portable musician will love that the FA-101 draws its power completely from the Firewire bus - there is no need for an electrical hookup.

My laptop would die in about 30 minutes :-\
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 10:18:41 PM by mgleason007 »
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com