Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DMIC-20 hacks: added optical out, replace SSM chips, added continuous gain pot  (Read 2358 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
I've done some mods on my DMIC20.  I think this is a really good rig if people are willing to play with it.

- replaced SSM2017 preamp chips with THAT1512 (samples :)).  Simple plug and play upgrade, just replace chips in sockets.
- added optical output.  Simple mod: Part is TOTX177.  Put +5, ground, and pin #17 of CS8402A to the TOTX and put a 0.1uF between 5V and ground at the TOTX.  Dremmel a square hole in the front, and epoxy the TOTX from the inside.
- replaced gain switches and resistor arrays with a single 5K (dual, stereo) pot.  Mounted on front panel.

If you understood that geek-speak, go ahead and try this, and email me with questions.

Unfortunately I cannot do these mods for others, due to time constraints and shakey hands.  Sorry.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:50:04 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Pictures please!   :)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
Post some pics please.

I've had one loaned out forever in the loner program. Almost forgot about it. Almost  ;) it's in Team bama's hands.

Anyway with a little help I'd like to mod mine.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Post some pics please.

I've had one loaned out forever in the loner program. Almost forgot about it. Almost  ;) it's in Team bama's hands.

Anyway with a little help I'd like to mod mine.

OK, it might take me a few days to get around to this.  I've got three shows coming up this weekend!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
I've done some mods on my DMIC20.  I think this is a really good rig if people are willing to play with it.

- replaced SSM2017 preamp chips with THAT1512 (samples :)).  Simple plug and play upgrade, just replace chips in sockets.
- added optical output.  Simple mod: Part is TOTX177.  Put +5, ground, and pin #17 of CS8402A to the TOTX and put a 0.1uF between 5V and ground at the TOTX.  Dremmel a square hole in the front, and epoxy the TOTX from the inside.
- replaced gain switches and resistor arrays with a single 5K (dual, stereo) pot.  Mounted on front panel.

If you understood that geek-speak, go ahead and try this, and email me with questions.

Unfortunately I cannot do these mods for others, due to time constraints and shakey hands.  Sorry.

Richard

Richard,

My buddy and I may try doing this mod ourselves. I tried googling the part numbers with not much luck (I don't think?). Where would be a good place to look for these parts and what might we be looking at as far as cost?

-B

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)

i got most of that geek-speak. and what i didn't get i think comes from not having one to look at

Raphael

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com