Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help w/ echo in recording... sample inside  (Read 3626 times)

Offline andiunfold

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
help w/ echo in recording... sample inside
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:14:33 PM »
Can anyone give me a little help with fixing a recording? We taped a show from the front row in a pretty empty college arena and there's a huge echo, among other things. Obviously I'm new to taping and could use some advice on how to fix this in any way. I'm using WaveLab 5.01 if anyone could help that'd be awesome!!
Thanks!

.... there's also a TON of shrieking throughout most of the tracks... is there anyway to cut back on that?

here's a sample track:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a1sm1q7gs9m

Offline andiunfold

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: help w/ echo in recording... sample inside
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
i know im completely impatient, but... anyone?

:-\

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
There's nothing that can be done to fix an echo IMO that is captured by room mics, and there is also not much that can be done with respect to proximate shrieking. 

If the shrieking is louder than the loudest peaks of the music, you could try a little compression, or a limiter, in post; all that would do, however, is reduce it a little bit relative to the rest of the music.  Screaming/shrieking from a human voice crosses over too many frequencies also corresponding to the instruments, so you cannot really EQ it without also negatively affecting everything else.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:03:29 PM »

Andiunfold,

Just sent you an e-mail ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline andiunfold

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »

Andiunfold,

thank you sooo much! we were able to mess around with wavelab to remove a lot of the echo! not sure how we did it, but it's gone!!
i need a wavelab tutor.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 01:06:30 PM »
we were able to mess around with wavelab to remove a lot of the echo! not sure how we did it, but it's gone!!

Post a sample from the same section as linked in the first post for comparison's sake?  And share how you accomplished the differences?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »

Andiunfold,

thank you sooo much! we were able to mess around with wavelab to remove a lot of the echo! not sure how we did it, but it's gone!!
i need a wavelab tutor.

Andiunfold,
You're welcome. I'm happy to help despite my little knowledge.
Take care ;D

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

easy jim

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »
we were able to mess around with wavelab to remove a lot of the echo! not sure how we did it, but it's gone!!

Post a sample from the same section as linked in the first post for comparison's sake?  And share how you accomplished the differences?

Yes, I'm curious too.  To remove a lot of the echo, it must have been at only a very limited/specific frequency range that you were able to reduce with a notch filter, right?  What frequency range was it, and how did you EQ to reduce it?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:33:27 PM »

Yes, I'm curious too.  To remove a lot of the echo, it must have been at only a very limited/specific frequency range that you were able to reduce with a notch filter, right?  What frequency range was it, and how did you EQ to reduce it?

Hello,

Well, what I did sugest is quite simple, nothing fancy, really. Andiunfold seems to be very happy with the results. I opened his sample with a 10 band equalizer. Then I reduced both 250 hz and 500 hz, just a bit. Also a smaller decrease on the 1kHz and a touch on the 2 upper frequencies to achieve more articulation.It's not perfect, honestly. But it sounds a lot better, more focused and tight. I haven't heard the whole processed file, but I'm sure it sounds OK.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:37:01 PM by Dede2002 »

Offline andiunfold

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:22:23 PM »

honestly, i dont know what we did. i took the advice i was given, about the 10 band equalizer, messed with a couple things on wavelab and reduced the echo. i'll be more specific, but i'll have to take a look at the program. i'll upload some samples too in a little.  (just to re-stress, i'm a COMPLETE and UTTER newbie and really have no clue what i'm doing... hence the "i need a wavelab" tutor.)  ;D

Offline andiunfold

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:24 PM »
here's the new one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2jqucdi1daw

and the old one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a1sm1q7gs9m

*hopefully* i posted the right ones.  can anyone tell a difference? it all starts to sound the same after listening to the same track over and over again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com