Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help: I am in need of a new set-up and Looking for Suggestions and Help!!..  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Nonfiction8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am in need of a new set-up and looking for some help and advice..... I am trying to stay as basic as possible..... I am more of a high end guy than a low end guy..... Usually use Hypers but I am feeling the loss of the low end more and more....and want to address this.....

I am running R-44  > MBHO' s 603a KA 500......

Looking at Neumann KM 150'S ........

BUT ....... Not sure....... Any help or abuse is appreciated...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11

The MBHO hypers have a nice tight low end but it is little more lacking than some other hypers. I like the Schoeps MK41 for hypercards - I think they are the best on the market - especially with the Nbox they have the thump.

Not a big fan of the KM150 but I really like the AK40 cardioid caps. Since you have a 4 channel recorder maybe try switching up your game and run both cards and hypers from the same position for a few shows and see what you like more.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Nonfiction8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Goodcooker,
Thanks so much for reaching out..... Been afraid of the Nbox due to the change in sound..... The low end is almost too much for me at times if that makes sense..... I liked the old analog sound and dynamics.... and try to stay away from the boxiness of digital even though it sounds better and is cleaner....... So I am looking for something with a little more low end response..... or a different way to enhance the MBHO's ..... ..or I will take mic suggestions.... lol...

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
+1 on MK41s and NBox setup.  My go to rig for stadiums, arenas and festivals.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
im on team schoeps but have always liked the sound of the km150s
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN

Microtech Gefell M21 or Milab VM-44 Link (supercard) are both great sounding options!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Microtech Gefell M21 or Milab VM-44 Link (supercard) are both great sounding options!

Agreed as the Gefells.  I have both Gefells and Schoeps and I prefer the Gefells for rock recording.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I find the Gefell M21 has nice low end extension for a supercard, benefits at times from a bit of EQ to properly balance it, but the bottom is there to be mined.

You mention keeping things basic so this is probably out, but I'll mention it as an alternate approach- Since you are running a 4 channel recorder, have you any interest in running two pairs of microphones with the intent of mixing them?  If you like what the KA500 do above the bass region you could retain them and add a pair of omnis or subcards to flesh out the bottom.  Subcards will be easier to run than omnis setup-wise, in that they can be setup with less spacing and still work well as long as they are angled widely, where as omnis require more spacing making them harder to setup, yet either should provide what your currently setup is deficient in.  This provides a great deal of flexibility by allowing you to find the best sounding balance of the two pairs after the recording was made, although comes with the burden of managing an extra pair of mics, files, and the mixing.

Totally understood if that unwanted complexity rules out that option, in which case I'd suggest checking out the MG M21's.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com