Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording a 12 piece string school band  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
Recording a 12 piece string school band
« on: February 20, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »
I was asked to tape a 12 piece string school band in June.
There will be some singing but mostly just string playing.

It will take place in a school gym with an elevated stage about 5 feet up.
There will be a PA on each side of the stage.

My Gear:
SP-CMC-2A  > SP-SPSB-1 w/bass rolloff @ 95 Hz > Nomad JB3
Stand: Bogen 12 foot.
T-Bar: 12 inch flexable arm from Sound Pro’s

I assume the chairs will be set up in row directly in front of the stage.

What would be the best way to capture this event?
Where would be the best place to set up?
I believe there will be a board/mixing area for a direct feed of the audio.

Thanks
Keith
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline Chomps

Re: Recording a 12 piece string school band
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
whats going to be in the pa? everything, or just vocals?

right now I am going to assume everything. I don't see why they would not put both seeing as it is a large room and they are suppose to fill most of it.

+t
Keith
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »
Every spring my company gets a bunch of calls to record this type of event for fundraising for the local county schools. The best results seem to be when we record about 2' behind the conductor, and about 1' over his/her head. We've done this in some horrible sounding rooms (gyms, audituriums, cafeterias), and it seems, to me, at least, that the conductors perspective is usually the best spot. ymmv.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Chomps

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »
Every spring my company gets a bunch of calls to record this type of event for fundraising for the local county schools. The best results seem to be when we record about 2' behind the conductor, and about 1' over his/her head. We've done this in some horrible sounding rooms (gyms, audituriums, cafeterias), and it seems, to me, at least, that the conductors perspective is usually the best spot. ymmv.

well I do not know how far away she will be from the stage. what is the normal distance for such a performance. This is my first time recording something of this type and I want to get it right since they are paying me to do so.

I assume she will be standing about 10-12 feet from the stage center. With that said I think behind her would be a perfect place as long as I am not to close to the stage as Monk said above. I want to avoid the muddy sound and get something crisp and clear.

Keith
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »

well I do not know how far away she will be from the stage. what is the normal distance for such a performance. This is my first time recording something of this type and I want to get it right since they are paying me to do so.

I assume she will be standing about 10-12 feet from the stage center. With that said I think behind her would be a perfect place as long as I am not to close to the stage as Monk said above. I want to avoid the muddy sound and get something crisp and clear.

Keith

Oh, that crazy Monk...
Typically with a string section like you are describing, the conductor sits the players in a semi-circle or arch, with the conductor positioning herself in the center. If I had to guess, I'd say the conductor will stand on stage, 8' or so in front of the group. This has been done for centuries...long before PA systems, due to the fact that the "best" or "most balanced" sound is the conductors spot. If you do it this way you will not be relying on the PA system at all, which is most likely going to yield a better, more natural sounding, result.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Chomps

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »
Ok I understand where you are coming from.
Now how would I position my mic's?

Like I said I have a T-Bar that bends and holes that the mics go through move from left to right.

+tttttt
Keith
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
Ok I understand where you are coming from.
Now how would I position my mic's?

Like I said I have a T-Bar that bends and holes that the mics go through move from left to right.

+tttttt
Keith

My best results for a recording like this have been with a Neumann RSM191 Stereo mic, XY at somewhere between 125 and 160 degrees. You should be able to make the pattern fairly wide using your T-Bar.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.253 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com