Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with recent recordings  (Read 2070 times)

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Problems with recent recordings
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »
I noticed tonight on a couple of my recent shows I am getting strange drop outs and volume spike in my tapes. I have been unable to isolate the problem. I am always stealthing so I am unable to check my gear while taping. I have played around at home with my gear but I have been unable to isolate the problem.

Gear used:AT853A >Beyer MV100>M1

If you listen to the sample I never lose complete sound. The show tonight I was fine for about 12 minutes, and then the sound spiked up for about a minute before returning to normal. I have Rush coming up this week so I have to get this isolated.

I have checked the obvious things like battery cable etc. I just been unable to recreate the problem at home.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 06:44:19 AM by LEDZEPZOSO »

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Problems with recent recordings
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
1/8" jack plug?

the sample sounds kind of like what I'd expect if the plug wasn't pushed in fully... try pulling the plug out a fraction, very slowly, you should be able to hear the effect.

(this is a common problem with the jb3... dunno about the m1 though)

hope this helps, good luck figuring it out!

best regards,
stephen

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:36:15 PM »
Mic output to input jack connection is THE MOST SENSITIVE to dirt, movement, and if ministereo type, to being unplugged if not secured.  Tips page on my site give cleaning and securing suggestions so this doesn't happen. See www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm#maintain
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the input, I think it might be my cable between my Pre and DAT. I have been able to recreate it about half the time. I just have been so short on free time lately that I have not been able to test with another cable. Hopefully this is the cause since it is the least expensive item to replace.

Thanks again, +T

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »
Check Guysonic's  tip page for a brush and do the cleaning before you buy a cable.....

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
If possible, use an interconnect with a right-angle mini-in into the m1. And use electical tape to tape it down so it doesn't move.

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice. It was the cable between the Beyer and M1. It was never a constant problem. i would test it one time and t was fine then the next time I would get the problem.

George, I have never liked the 90 degree angle. Though I never used electrical tape to hold it down. I might have to try to give it a try. unfortantly my cable guy is no longer available.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »
Just my .02... I saw this every once and a while.  I use the cleaning instructions that guy sonic has on his site every 6 months or so which help alot.  Then I also made a contraption between a wrist sweat band, a few peices of home depot super velcro, (Something like $3 for a roll of around 50 pieces), and the gear.  The wrist band secures a path for the cables and the super velcro holds the plugs securely in place.  Found a small somewhat tight camera bag that fits the R9 and PA3SX that is crochable.   The combination keeps every thing clean and connected very well.  Before the makeshift packaging the main problem was the inputs moving in my pockets which is almost 100% eliminated now.

(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com