Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100988 times)

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
MS Pro Duo sticks work fine.  I have an 8GB stick that I bought for my PSP.  It comes up with an "Unknown Media" screen at startup but writes to the stick with no problems.

Thanks much!  I'd give you a ticket but as this is only my second post, I don't have any to offer.  I ordered the deck from B&H tonight and plan on using it at the Delaware Valley Bluegrass Festival in Southern New Jersey next week.  I'll probably just be plugging into a friend but I may see how it works with the built-in mics for a little bit.  I'll have access to a DAT backup if I'm not satisfied.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
I just picked up the Sandisk Ultra II from Newegg, $40 for a 4GB card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171351

I've only done a little bit of testing, but so far it seems to be working perfectly.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
MS Pro Duo sticks work fine.  I have an 8GB stick that I bought for my PSP.  It comes up with an "Unknown Media" screen at startup but writes to the stick with no problems.

Thanks much!  I'd give you a ticket but as this is only my second post, I don't have any to offer.  I ordered the deck from B&H tonight and plan on using it at the Delaware Valley Bluegrass Festival in Southern New Jersey next week.  I'll probably just be plugging into a friend but I may see how it works with the built-in mics for a little bit.  I'll have access to a DAT backup if I'm not satisfied.

BTW you can directly power any DSM mic (without powering module) just by plugging into D50's mic input and turning on the mic powering feature. 

If your older model DSM mic has hardwired battery module, then mic is powered regardless with AA cell inside the module, but if desiring a simpler setup, then have your mic refurbished with replacing the powering module with simple molded right-angle gold plated mini-plug so direct connection to the D50 is possible and you'd have the simplest two-piece configuration using the deck.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »

I've only done a little bit of testing, but so far it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks, I just ordered 2 of them.  I'll let you know next week how it all went.

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »
BTW you can directly power any DSM mic (without powering module) just by plugging into D50's mic input and turning on the mic powering feature. 

If your older model DSM mic has hardwired battery module, then mic is powered regardless with AA cell inside the module, but if desiring a simpler setup, then have your mic refurbished with replacing the powering module with simple molded right-angle gold plated mini-plug so direct connection to the D50 is possible and you'd have the simplest two-piece configuration using the deck.

Thanks.  My older DSM mic does indeed have the hardwired powering module.  The mic may have gone bad, I tried it a year or 2 ago (at some very loud shows) and I got a bunch of distortion.  The mic gave me a decade or more of fantastic service and the battery may have been low but I'll have to try it at home recording from my stereo.  If it works I might look into having it refurbished.

Thanks to everybody for sharing your knowledge.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
Just recieved the Complete Service Manual from SONY. Chips are

Mikinput  =  ADA 4841 - 2YRZ-R7

Lineinput =  ADA 8662    2ARZ-REEL

AD Chip   =  AK 5358 AET-EZ

Offline Phiegze

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
Where'd you get the service manual?
Is if very big?
Did it take long to arrive? 
I want one but I am moving across country soon and don't want it chasing me.

Thanks

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
Hello,

I just received mine today, but when I'm using it with an external microphone (AT-922, SoundProfessionnals binaural), I've got a ground noise.. I'm selecting the option "power on" when I plug the microphones, this should be ok..
Did somebody have this issue?

I think my unit might go back to the shop..  >:(

here's a link of a wav recorded when I plug my AT-822, I'm just moving it or the cable near the D50...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jxnt0g
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:57:20 PM by JM Charcot »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
I've never heard of the AT922 -- got a link for it? 

If you made a typo and it's the AT822, you shouldn't run the D50 with the mic power on option since the 822 since the 822 operates off an internal battery. Otherwise, I've got nothing. :-\
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline JM Charcot

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
Oops my mistake, that's indeed the AT-822, and even with plugin power set to OFF I've got the background noise..

Offline nolonemo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
Oops my mistake, that's indeed the AT-822, and even with plugin power set to OFF I've got the background noise..

There's something wrong somewhere.  I have use the AT-822 with the D50, and they play together very nicely.  I do have to turn the gain up with the AT-822, 3 on the dial with the internals gives me the same levels as 4 on the dial with the AT-822 when recording.  The self-noise with the AT-822 is lower than using the D50's internal mics even taking into account the higher gain required by the 822.  BTW, I lost the connector cable that came with the mic and am using a replacement I got from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160633-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVS_101F_Mini_Stereo_Male_to.html) but I don't think that should make a difference. 

I'd try a different mic with the D50 and a different recorder with the 822 to see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
Just recieved the Complete Service Manual from SONY. Chips are

Mikinput  =  ADA 4841 - 2YRZ-R7

Lineinput =  ADA 8662    2ARZ-REEL

AD Chip   =  AK 5358 AET-EZ

Thanks for the info.

I looked up ADA4841, this might be a useful chip for modders too, it comes in TSSOP/MSSOP, ie., the smaller size surface mount.  Might be interesting for R4 mods, for example.

So, do you have any more information, like a schematic?  I'm interested how the regular and -20dB mic in are handled.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »
"Service Manual"

I have to make a dealer Account by Sony Switzerland and have to wait a month bevore I got the Service Manual, cost 50 $

And I can make an scan from that mik section will put it here later...

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »

Just checking in to say I also have this same card and so far so good. I bought it at Best Buy for around $60 earlier in the summer.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline JM Charcot

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

There's something wrong somewhere.  I have use the AT-822 with the D50, and they play together very nicely.  I do have to turn the gain up with the AT-822, 3 on the dial with the internals gives me the same levels as 4 on the dial with the AT-822 when recording.  The self-noise with the AT-822 is lower than using the D50's internal mics even taking into account the higher gain required by the 822.  BTW, I lost the connector cable that came with the mic and am using a replacement I got from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160633-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVS_101F_Mini_Stereo_Male_to.html) but I don't think that should make a difference. 

I'd try a different mic with the D50 and a different recorder with the 822 to see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck.

I checked with my RH-10 hi-MD, no noise at all.. and with another microphone (Sound Professionnals binaural) in the D50 : there is still the ground noise.

That's definitely the D50 who's Dead On Arrival.. I'll ask for an exchange.

Kind regards,

JM.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com