Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100993 times)

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
My new pcm-d50 arrived (yay!!).  Now, I'm looking at what I would need to get a digital signal from my buddy's Tascam DA-P1 to the Sony.  My digital input is labeled optical, his is coax.  Is there a cable I can use to go between the decks or do I need a converter?  The digital cables for the coax look like an RCA.  Mine would probably be the size of a stereo mini plug.  Anybody have any knowledge of what I need?

Thanks.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
Here's a list of SPDIF format converters
http://www.minidisc.org/part_CoaxOptical_Conversion.html

Note that they all require external power.  They ship with
mains power "wall warts," but presunmably can be made to
work with an external battery.

Flintstone

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
Flintstone

Thanks.  It looks like I'll probably be getting an analog signal this weekend if I plug out of him but I'll be doing some investigating this once I get back.

Offline Phiegze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »
Flintstone

Thanks.  It looks like I'll probably be getting an analog signal this weekend if I plug out of him but I'll be doing some investigating this once I get back.

Check out the "Digital Power Pack - PP99" at Amazon (or wherever)
http://www.amazon.com/iConcepts-Digi-Power-Pack-PP99/dp/B0009EXVGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219886108&sr=8-2

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38:51 PM »
I just recently put the money together for a 24 bit recorder with digital-in and I've been strongly leaning towards the PCM-D50 for awhile now.

I've been researching to no avail. Does the PCM-D50 have a clip setting where the LCD will light up if you go over 0dB? Just curious... I really like that about the iriver h120. I run a little more conservative these days but it's a really cool feature.

Are people pretty happy with the metering?
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
Clip and -12db (which I use to set levels on my preamp).  I haven't had much problem since I usually go 24bit and just normalize if I ever need it but generally use the green -12db as my guide. 
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »
Clip and -12db (which I use to set levels on my preamp).  I haven't had much problem since I usually go 24bit and just normalize if I ever need it but generally use the green -12db as my guide. 

That's a good point. I've read that running your levels to hot isn't as big of an issue with 24bit because there's really no need to.

+T
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:43 AM »
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the PCM-D50.  It's a tank and the battery life has been excellent.  As stated before, it has optical input, line input, decent internals that can adjust to true XY or wide pattern (check my archive bookmarks below for at least 2 shows using the internals outside), great menu, 4Gb onboard flash memory, uses non-proprietary battery form (AA x4) and even is a solid mp3/wav music player if you want it to be.  Did I mention the headphone amp and optical/line output?  I have read others post about the HR09/R09 and others but for me, the PCM-D50 was and is worth the price. I got mine from Musician's Friend with the no interest deal for 12 months, of course that was before this economic meltdown.  Good luck with your search!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:50:52 AM by mrsoul »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the PCM-D50.  It's a tank and the battery life has been excellent.  As stated before, it has optical input, line input, decent internals that can adjust to true XY or wide pattern (check my archive bookmarks below for at least 2 shows using the internals outside), great menu, 4Gb onboard flash memory, uses non-proprietary battery form (AA x4) and even is a solid mp3/wav music player if you want it to be.  Did I mention the headphone amp and optical/line output?  I have read others post about the HR09/R09 and others but for me, the PCM-D50 was and is worth the price. I got mine from Musician's Friend with the no interest deal for 12 months, of course that was before this economic meltdown.  Good luck with your search!

Has anyone tested whether the optical digital output is active during recording and whether someone with another D50, or an H120, or a JB3 can get an optical digital patch during the show from a D50?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, I went PC>optical out>D-50>optical out>Hi-MD when I first got the PCM-D50 but can try it again later tonight.

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
Are people pretty happy with the metering?

the meters are great on this unit, very detailed.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
Has anyone tested whether the optical digital output is active during recording and whether someone with another D50, or an H120, or a JB3 can get an optical digital patch during the show from a D50?
Last night, I took the optical out from my Creative digital out>PCM-D50 optical input>Recording Active>Optical Out of PCM-D50>Sony Hi-MD recording. No problems and I get "Digital Recording" on the Sony Hi-MD.  So, yes, if recording with Optical in on PCM-D50, it still passes an optical out. 
Is it exactly the same signal?  I have no way of testing this personally.  Does it convert and then send out a different digital signal than what comes in?  I don't know.  Any way to test?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the testing and the reporting Mr Soul!  That's pretty interesting that we can give out optical digital patches.

I'm not too concerned whether the optical out is bit perfect or not, since I wouldn't use it myself for transfers or anything.  Resampled or not, a digital patch would sound fine to anyone using this method to patch in. 
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2008, 02:04:14 AM »
im thinking about picking a d50 up but have a lingering question... what should i pair it with?
thinking about an external pre --- which ones could i use?

I think the upside to the Sony XLR adapter is that is screws directly to the back of the unit and it probably is actually a good quality unit.  Sony obviously put a lot of thought into the D50 so it's unlikely they'd sell an XLR P48 adapter that's the same price as the recorder if it wasn't good.

the pro's of having an external pre are many, but for a streamilined, compact rig, would the xlr-1 be better.  the point above is a very good one. does anyone have any pics of the d50 in action with the xlr adapter?

thanks for feedback and pics if anyone has them.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 03:37:24 AM »
im thinking about picking a d50 up but have a lingering question... what should i pair it with?
thinking about an external pre --- which ones could i use?

I think the upside to the Sony XLR adapter is that is screws directly to the back of the unit and it probably is actually a good quality unit.  Sony obviously put a lot of thought into the D50 so it's unlikely they'd sell an XLR P48 adapter that's the same price as the recorder if it wasn't good.

the pro's of having an external pre are many, but for a streamilined, compact rig, would the xlr-1 be better.  the point above is a very good one. does anyone have any pics of the d50 in action with the xlr adapter?

I don't think that anybody here has tested it with the XLR-1, but it seems like a quality unit.  A small preamp under $500 that you could use is a used Sound Devices MP-2 / MixPre.  I am sure there are others that can be stealthed.  If you want something larger, you could use virtually anything; it is just a matter of price point and features.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com