Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100848 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:09 PM »
I recorded with the SBM turned on.  Definitely made my recording more shiny in the mids and highs than I wanted.  I suggest leaving it off like Mark Nelson recommends.

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »
I've read straight through all the posts on these two threads and Brad Linder's review, O'Reilly site etc.

Linder notes that Graham Riches reports a comparison of The Marantz 620, Fostex FR2LE, PCM-D50 and Zoom H4 puts the Sony down third on the list with only a 4.5/10 score for external mics.  (10/10 for the FR2LE)

http://www.bradlinder.net

He was using the Rode NTG-2 shotgun condenser to test.

I want a recorder that will work well with EV-635/RE-50 and Sennheiser ME66/K6.  I've got a Zoom H2 and that's just not cutting it for use with external mics.

Anyone able to test those mics or have an opinion about whether this may be specific to the Rode NTG-2?  Linder gives the Sony good marks with his dynamic RE-50.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »
I just got in my PCM D50, and immediately tried the digital-in to see what data points I could add to this confused picture.  I fed it with a 24/96 signal from a Core Sound Mic2496 optical out.  The D50 read 48/24 but the second hand was racing, and sure enough on playback I heard my test speech played back at 1/2 speed (and down an octave, of course).  I have not yet tried editing the wave header, but my guess is that I will have an okay 24/96 recording.  This is a kludgy work-around for something that should function correctly out of the box.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'd be very interested to know how you feel the D50 compares to the D1. Are the mics and pre's a whole lot better on the D1? I have an opportunity to buy a D1 at a discounted price ($1200.00) and wonder if it's worth it over the $500 D50.

Thanks,
Phil
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »
I recorded with the SBM turned on.  Definitely made my recording more shiny in the mids and highs than I wanted.  I suggest leaving it off like Mark Nelson recommends.

:hmmm:

I'm not sure he suggest turning it off.  I recorded with it and found it pretty good but haven't done any comps to be able to say one way or the other yet.

>>>>>>>>
Got a Map?

The D50 shares something called Super Bit Mapping (SBM) with its more expensive sibling. Here's the scoop: when you select 16-bit recording, the D50 records at 20-bit resolution in order to increase the dynamic range. Normally, the extra four bits are discarded.
Sony PCM-D50 Side Panels
The side-mounted analog input and output jacks also work with mini-TOSLINK digital optical cables.

Engaging SBM recodes the data to squeeze 20 bits of information into a 16-bit word. The idea is to use a higher bit rate to reduce quantization noise and then employ noise shaping to move any grunge away from frequencies we can hear. To test this, I recorded two short clips of my guitar at 16/44.1 — one without SBM, one with. To my ears, there is a difference: the SBM track is more detailed and has less grit.

Here's an uncompressed WAV file so you can hear it for yourself. Pay attention as the guitar trails off into silence — it's smooth as silk.

* Acoustic Guitar with SBM (7.3MB WAV)

Super Bit Mapping is a great addition to the D50, but it makes one wonder: why not use it for all 16-bit files? According to Sony, it's best to turn SBM off if you'll be editing the recording in your computer. The manual doesn't explicitly state why, but it stands to reason that reprocessing the processed signal could create unwelcome artifacts as the computer wrestles with the complex math, accumulating rounding errors. SBM is a shaped dithering process, and digital gurus like Bob Katz (who is very good at math) assert it is best to not dither at each stage, but to wait until the file is ready to be mastered. In practical terms, though, I doubt most folks could hear the difference caused by this extra step.

Super Bit Mapping is disabled when you select 24-bit recording.

>>>>>
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
I should also state that 24bit ROCKS!!!      ;D

And with 8Gb of memory, 24bit is the only way to go.  I have been listening to 24bit WMA Pro 5.1 with my Creative Soundblaster Audigy setup of my New Year's show and it sounds very shweet.  16bit with SBM is not something I will be doing much anyways.  24/44.1 seems like the only logical way for me.  24/48 seems like too much trouble...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:53:23 PM by mrsoul »

Offline Mike Rivera

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Company
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »
Has anyone measured the microphone plug in power (2v, 3v, 9v, etc.)?

- Mike

Offline dathead2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
I should also state that 24bit ROCKS!!!      ;D

And with 8Gb of memory, 24bit is the only way to go.  I have been listening to 24bit WMA Pro 5.1 with my Creative Soundblaster Audigy setup of my New Year's show and it sounds very shweet.  16bit with SBM is not something I will be doing much anyways.  24/44.1 seems like the only logical way for me.  24/48 seems like too much trouble...

yea, i'ld rather pay less and not have SBM in it, then it would cost like $399

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
I just put my D50 in the yard sale if anyone's interested...

It's in like-new condition.  I am really sold on it, but got a great opportunity at buying a sound devices recorder...so this needs to go for now.  I'm asking $425 for it.

If anyone needs one, please help me out instead of buying new.

thanks all.

/james

Offline cl516

• Taperssection Newbie
    • cl516 blog
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »
does anyone know if there's been any recent update that ensures 24/96 digital input will work flawlessly?

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »
I ran the internal mics last night with limiter and bass roll-off for Victor Wooten at the Handlebar in Greenville.  I got in late during the first tune and didn't have the energy to go through a fast setup in the dark. So, I decided to give the internals a run. I am impressed, really.  I will be considering running these again for some shows.  You can't beat the setup.  I sat it on the soundboard with the XY config and let'er rip.  Limiter worked beautifully.  I ran 24/44.1 and it turned out fantastic.  I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good.  Just my .02 but thought I would share.  I will be putting some samples online soon.  See ya!

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
Victor "Victa" Wooten samples:

24/44.1, limiter ON, Attenuator ON, Bass Roll-off ON (75Hz), INTERNAL Mics X/Y, sitting on the front of soundboard, center at 6 1/2 feet up
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:03:50 AM by mrsoul »

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
Victor "Victa" Wooten samples:

24/44.1, limiter ON, Attenuator ON, Bass Roll-off ON, INTERNAL Mics X/Y, sitting on the front of soundboard

Nice recording--thanks.  How high did you have the D50?  I assume you had the mics at 90 degrees XY rather than 120 or somewhere inbetween?  Didn't notice the limiter kicking in anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:26:49 PM by Outrageous »

Offline auroboros

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »
what level was the bass roleoff on? 75hz or 150hz? :)
OKM II R, CA-14 cards, Marantz EM-8
E.A.A. PSP-2, CA-9100
Sony PCM-D50

Jesu medela vulnerum spes una poenitentium per Magdalenae lacrymas peccata nostra diluas.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 07:02:36 AM »
The mics were XY at about 6 1/2 feet up, dead center on the front of the soundboard.  LCF set to 75Hz.  I may post another tune today.  I really think it turned out very enjoyable and given all I had to do to setup, the ratio of energy in setup to results is very low to high.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
The mics were XY at about 6 1/2 feet up, dead center on the front of the soundboard.  LCF set to 75Hz.

How big is this place and how far back were you?

+T for the samples....really appreciate the effort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com