Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon MP3450 for Sony PCM-M10?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Tekkeon MP3450 for Sony PCM-M10?
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
Probably a battery n00b question  ;D, but can you run the Sony PCM-M10 off of the Tekkeon MP3450?  I just got the Tekkeon for my old D50 which died ( :'(). and the lowest voltage setting is 5 volts, while the PCM-M10 calls for 3 volts.  Will this work?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:45:26 PM by Sloan Simpson »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Tekkeon MP3450 for Sony PCM-M10?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
It's possible but the m10 can last HOURS and HOURS on just two batteries.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
"Possible" meaning it won't hurt it, right?

I'd like to just never have to buy AA's again . . .

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:37 PM »
If you hooked a MP3450 to an M10, it would run for years............

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »

With all due respect, I just don't get it. Now instead of a tiny recorder, you'll be lugging around a HUGE one (counting the battery as part of the recorder).

If I were you and didn't want to buy more AA's (which most of us don't), just get a good set of rechargeables and a charger. Better than alkalines because you don't have to worry about when to replace them, plus in most recorders they last longer.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »

With all due respect, I just don't get it. Now instead of a tiny recorder, you'll be lugging around a HUGE one (counting the battery as part of the recorder).

If I were you and didn't want to buy more AA's (which most of us don't), just get a good set of rechargeables and a charger. Better than alkalines because you don't have to worry about when to replace them, plus in most recorders they last longer.

The thing is I already have the Tekkeon sitting here, and size/weight aren't really a concern to me.  There's room for it in my gear bag, and the weight isn't really a noticeable difference with or without it.  So I realize it's not the most ergonomic solution out there.  And if the Tekkeon lasts for weeks without a recharge, that doesn't bother me  ;D

My question is more about whether the Tekkeon's lowest setting of 5volts is too much (damaging?) to the M10, which calls for 3volts.

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »

The thing is I already have the Tekkeon sitting here, and size/weight aren't really a concern to me.  There's room for it in my gear bag, and the weight isn't really a noticeable difference with or without it.  So I realize it's not the most ergonomic solution out there.  And if the Tekkeon lasts for weeks without a recharge, that doesn't bother me  ;D

My question is more about whether the Tekkeon's lowest setting of 5volts is too much (damaging?) to the M10, which calls for 3volts.
I don't think anyone knows/has tried it. The way most devices like this are, it could work and just run hot. Or it could fry the unit. Try contacting Sony and see if you can get a response from an engineer. If not, you could have someone make a regulator box. But for that cost and trouble, you may be better off just selling the Tekkeon and buying new rechargable AAs.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »

I don't think anyone knows/has tried it. The way most devices like this are, it could work and just run hot. Or it could fry the unit. Try contacting Sony and see if you can get a response from an engineer. If not, you could have someone make a regulator box. But for that cost and trouble, you may be better off just selling the Tekkeon and buying new rechargable AAs.

Gotcha.

Thanks everybody

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
Actually I just realized that the older Tekkeon model I run my preamp with will do 3V, so I'll just use that for the M10, and use the MP3450 for my preamp.   :D

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
Sloan,

Like a couple of the other posters, I am curious why you would want to do this.  As you may (or may not, if you have been using a D50) know, the M10 can run for literally over 24hours CONTINUOUSLY one one set of AA batts, probably even rechargeables. 

With mine, I recorded a 3hr show, an entire festival (10 1-hr sets), then a few more shows... and still have three bars left of battery.  Even if you have room, it seems to me you are wasting your time running that thing off a Tekkeon, whether it works or not. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
Sloan,

Like a couple of the other posters, I am curious why you would want to do this.  As you may (or may not, if you have been using a D50) know, the M10 can run for literally over 24hours CONTINUOUSLY one one set of AA batts, probably even rechargeables. 

With mine, I recorded a 3hr show, an entire festival (10 1-hr sets), then a few more shows... and still have three bars left of battery.  Even if you have room, it seems to me you are wasting your time running that thing off a Tekkeon, whether it works or not.

- I already have the Tekkeon
- I carry a large bag that has plenty of room for it
- the Tekkeon is light enough that the weight of it isn't a concern
- I can charge the Tekkeon without removing it from my bag, which means I can't forget it at home  ;D (even rechargeable AA's introduce this risk, and if something can be forgotten, it's a fact that I will eventually forget it)

I agree that it may be overkill, but for my situation there are no negatives.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:19:53 PM by Sloan Simpson »

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
You have the Tekkeon- but you don't need it.  Sell it in the YS- someone else wants and needs it!

buy some MAHA NIMH AA's and a charger and you'll never need to buy any other AA's - the m-10 runs forever (like 40 - 50 hours) on 2 AA's.
check out these:
INCLUDES 12V DC POWER CORD, FOUR DELKIN 2500 MAH AA BATTERIES & FREE STORAGE BAG $25.97  http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc204fdc-aaaaa-smart-battery-chargerbrincludes-12v-dc-power-cord-four-delkin-2500-mah-aa-batteries-free-storage-bag-p-916.html?SP_id=&osCsid=jt7dn9lti2hl1tn3qnsl7kd6o7

or
INCLUDES FOUR MAHA POWEREX 2700 AA NIMH BATTERIES, 12V DC CORD, STORAGE BAG AND BATTERY TESTER $29.97   http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc204fdc-aaaaa-smart-battery-chargerbrincludes-four-maha-powerex-2700-aa-nimh-batteries-12v-dc-cord-storage-bag-and-battery-tester-p-912.html?SP_id=&osCsid=jt7dn9lti2hl1tn3qnsl7kd6o7

you'll have 4 AA's 2 for the m-10 2 for the gear bag as back ups- or to charge when you swap out the batteries.
if four is not enough get 16 AA for all your AA needs
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/16-pack-maha-imedion-2400-aa-low-discharge-batteriesbrsixteen-battery-bundlebrspecial-pricewith-four-battery-holders-p-2245.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

read about MAHA's next-generation nickel metal hydride battery the ‘IMEDION’.
here: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-imedion-aa-2400mah-rechargeable-batteriesbrultra-low-dischargebr4-battery-pack-nimhbr1-free-four-cell-battery-case-p-2096.html?SP_id=

MAHA's are the way to go as I understand

lighten your gear bag you'll be glad you did- someone else will be happy with the tekkeon too!
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
I'm happy with my current solution.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com