Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LP ( Records )>FLAC ( Or Itunes )--Using iPhone?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
LP ( Records )>FLAC ( Or Itunes )--Using iPhone?
« on: July 28, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
So, my daughter has a pretty big collection of LPs and she was hoping there could be a way to digitize them before she goes back to school.  Right now she has a pretty basic turntable setup with a receiver and tape deck.  How can we play back the LPs and create FLAC files or convert to iTunes format?  Any way to do this with an iPhone?  Our MacBooks don't have an input.  She doesn't care about the method, she just wants her LPs converted so she can play them on her iPhone.

Thanks!
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
LP ( Records )>FLAC ( Or Itunes )--Using iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
Is there any way to go tape out or rca out from either the turntable or the tape deck? I'd go out to your recorder. And then transfer from there.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
Re: LP ( Records )>FLAC ( Or Itunes )--Using iPhone?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »
Is there any way to go tape out or rca out from either the turntable or the tape deck? I'd go out to your recorder. And then transfer from there.

Tape out to the cassette deck so there should be the same for a recorder.  I don't have one.  I was hoping to use either the iPhones or maybe one of our MacBooks.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 12:37:00 AM »
I’m surprised you don’t have any kind of a handheld recorder. I thought everyone on the board would have one or a larger recorder. The way I do it is probably not the most elegant but I: use a Y cable male double RCA to male mini -> Roland or Sony or a Tascam device -> take out SD card-> put into my MacBook Air -> Audacity to eliminate or attenuate  rumble below 20Hz -> xAct (free software for Mac)  to make ALAC (the iPhone can’t play FLACs without a special app and ALAC is also lossless) or mp3 -> enjoy

There are other ways of course, but since I am already transferring recordings from my SD cards into my laptop all the time, that seems the easiest for me.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:40:33 AM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »
I quit taping about a year ago or so.  I held onto a couple of recorders just in case but my interest ( and money ) went elsewhere.  I like the website and enjoy reading about taping and related topics.  I might have to pick up a small recorder for this project.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
The R-05 + power adaptor I'm selling is perfect for this.

I use it too to transfer my LPs to FLAC.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187212.0

I am located in the Netherlands but don't worry. I've done MANY inernational shipments (here and on ebay) and never had any troubles.

mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
Not an Apple user anymore, but iTunes cannot read FLAC natively. If she wants to keep things lossless she can use Apple's lossless format instead (ALAC). Otherwise, AAC is an excellent lossy codec for non-critical listening.

When I did use Apple, I liked Amadeus to record and process vinyl. Caution her that it will take longer than she thinks (Fade in/out, normalize, pop/click removal if desired, track cuts and tagging, etc), but Amadeus has some automation options that could potentially make things a little easier. She should record in 24 bit, but after processing, there is no audible benefit and she would save a lot of disk space exporting to 16 bit (16 bit allows up to 90 dB of dynamics which is 20 or 30 dB more than vinyl is capable of).

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »
I know it doesn't really answer the actual question but surely it has to be easier to actually download the albums rather than playing them in, normalizing them, splitting into tracks, converting to whichever format, tagging and then porting over to the Iphone.

I very occasionally convert LPs - OOP stuff/mono pressings/rare bonus tracks etc and it is almost always a nightmare - whether it be the record sticking or jumping, excess clicks, rumble, fluff accumulating on the needle or just forgetting to turn the damn thing over and getting 20mins of music then 40mins of silence... And the last track on each side often sounds crap.

And we haven't even touched on RIAA equalization  :D
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com