Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cat 5 speaker cable  (Read 4523 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
cat 5 speaker cable
« on: January 15, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »
anyone ever try it? looks good to me, when we close on the house in feb. I think Im gonna wire it for sound with this stuff

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/star.html
the show is over go home please.

jpschust

Re:cat 5 speaker cable
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:41:48 PM »
there's been a lot of talk about this on a number of sites, however the thing im most worried about is shielding.  the other thing to be concerned with when you are working this with a house is where the nails go.  i am building snakes for someone right now whose sub-contractors drove nails straight through their snakes.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 04:46:24 PM »
I'd be far more worried about contactors driving nails through electrical wires :P.   Most contractors pay special care around wires and they should also be affixed to the center of the stud.  If the wires are where they are supposed to be the fasteners being used won't touch them.

I just took a quick look and it looks like people are using cat 5 phone/data wire for speakers????   Why not just run some 16ga speaker wire when building??  My sister and bro in law just re modeled their kitchen/living room and while the walls were open I ran speaker wire.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 04:59:36 PM »
I'm with jonny on the shielding issues.  Also you might want to check to see what code is for wired surrounds in your area.  Some townships require wire rated for inwall installation.....

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I am apprenticing as an electrician and wonder why there would be any "code" for wiring audio cables?  They would fall into the "low voltage" category (24v or less) am I correct?   I have yet to see any inspecter get too concearned about low voltage wires as they pose very little fire risk.

If you can point me to some kind of code somewhere about this I'd appreciate it!!  
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »
i would doubt there is code for audio cabling, but shielding is a definite issue just in terms of quality of signal.  also dont forget that over really long lengths you need to make sure that you have a way of keeping the same voltage all the way through the cable

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 06:35:31 PM »
I agree that they pose very little risk, but I have heard about it before somewhere.  Folks needed to run inwall rated cable for some reason.  I tok a class that was all the NEC and I can't remember there being anything in there about it.  I guess it was more a question that might want to be asked.  I know in our township they are a-holes so I look into everything before building.
Jst make sure you give a fair amount of clearance from the Romex.  I've heard a good 6" is all that is needed.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 07:12:46 PM »
Yup...definatly keep all low volatge cables (coax, phone, audio) away from 120v circuits to not introduce noise.  I'll second that 6" should be adequate.

I am curious about "in wall" cable.  I'll have to ask my boss and other more "seasoned" (read crusty, old) electricians.  I don't think there is any distinction between cables as being "in wall" and "outside of wall"...but it's always better to know for sure!

While on the subject...............I bought a staple gun for running low voltage cable last weekend.  If anyone is thinking of running lots of speaker wire in the walls.....GET ONE!!   For $25 you'll be very happy you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »
For anyone that owns a house I think a staple gun is a must!  Please check it out as they do make such a thing.
SC

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 07:46:10 PM »
In Wall speaker wire  s UL CL3 rated.  Has double insulation and flame retardent cover.  Blocks noise and other interference.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 07:56:38 PM »
In Wall speaker wire  s UL CL3 rated.  Has double insulation and flame retardent cover.  Blocks noise and other interference.

Thanks for the info!   And +T for your 500th post!

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 08:13:41 PM »
yah owning a staple gun is something tremedously overlooked.  though i used to work for a frame shop so i couldn't even consider working a day without one (you need them not only to finish frames lots of times, but also to streatch canvas)

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 09:48:47 PM »
the gun for cable is the t-25 from arrow which shoots round crown staples.  it takes 3/8(for phone/data), 7/16, and 9/16(for rg6 coax and 16 ga spkr cable)

i run my low volt wire at least a foot from ac wire where possible, and always through my own drill holes.  if you drill through the center of the stud, no drywall screw should ever reach it.  if you are close to the edge, there are protective plates to nail up.  

unless you're running the surround runs, always try to run through a volume control location.  always pull home runs.  use at least 16 ga. wire for speakers.  

for me, i'd rather run 12 ga. wire than go through the braiding routine of the cat. 5.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 12:40:32 PM »
wow, cool to see all the responses on this. be sure to check out the home page for that site there are a ton of DIY projects on it
http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html

I wasnt going to go nuts with in wall wiring  probably will be going through the floor and in the celler and back up.
the show is over go home please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com