Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM  (Read 120419 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I forget whether we've covered this question already - does it have the R-44's ability to handle MS mics?  I guess if not one could use an R-44 feeding the digital inputs... but for me I think lack of MS would be a dealbreaker (and a bit of an oversight by Tascam as it would be very simple to include).

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
From the Tascam site - "Two of the recorders can be connected with a cascade cable for up to 16-track recording on battery power. "  Note however that you can't record 16 separate sources that way, as the digital input of one of the recorders is used for syncing the two recorders.  So the best you can actually do is to record 14 sources plus a stereo mix of 6 of the sources.   I think their claim is a bit misleading as people might think 16 tracks = 16 inputs.

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Someone said that the ability to record mp3 seemed to be missing in the menus.  I notice that "The DR-680 records up to four channels of MP3 audio for web-ready recordings." Maybe you don't get the mp3 option if you have more than four channels enabled??

On the box is says "MP3 recording/playback enabled by a software update"
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
This DR-680 looks very interesting. I'm anxious to hear some comparisons against other all in one recorders. It's great news that it'll work with 9v "DVD" batteries. If the mic pre-amps don't overload easily, this may be the all in one I want. I was recently toying with the idea of getting an R-44. After reading about this, I think I'll wait...

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »
Any pics?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
Max input level for Mic at low gain is +3dBu. For Line is +24dBu. This compares favorably to the SD 722/744/788 which is +10dBu and +24 dBu respectively. Based on these published specs and my tests so far, these inputs should not overload very easily.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2010, 01:25:09 AM »
Did my first preamp comp between the internal pre's and a V2. While the V2 is certainly a better preamp, the differences were not nearly as large as I was expecting and seem more like the sound of the 722 pre's than any other all in one box pre's I have heard from Edirol, Tascam, Marantz, Korg, etc. I did not compare 48V phantom as I used Stewart BPS-1's and xlr splitters to the two different preamps. Source material was played fairly loud through my meyer playback system and only needed 40 db gain from the V2 and +12 gain on the tascam with the low gain setting selected. This leads me to believe that the tascam mic pre's should handle loud shows without need for mods or fear of overloading the inputs. Nice!

Was also glad to learn the gain on each channel can be adjusted quickly on the fly without need to hit the channel solo button for 2 seconds first. Only need to do that if you want to monitor one particular channel.

Liking this thing so far. More impressions to come....

I am liking this even a whole lot more now that I realized the better sounding pre to my ears is NOT the V2!!!!!!  I just assumed the better sounding of the two was the V2. Double checked the cables and wow I can't believe my eyes. I am in total shock over this :o This Tascam is tighter sounding with larger soundstage, more detail and much clearer overall than the V2. A really noticeable difference at all volume levels.

Very cool Matt it sound like the stock pres are very nice.
could you let us know what mics you were using?
It sounds like this might be my next recorder- but I'll have to wait till I can afford one.

I am glad to hear all of these positive reports!
keep 'em comin'

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »

Very cool Matt it sound like the stock pres are very nice.
could you let us know what mics you were using?
It sounds like this might be my next recorder- but I'll have to wait till I can afford one.

I am glad to hear all of these positive reports!
keep 'em comin'

--Ian

Milab VM-44 Links -> Stewart BPS-1's (48V) -> xlr splitter -> V2 (+40 dB gain) -> DR-680 (line in, unity gain)
Milab VM-44 Links -> Stewart BPS-1's (48V) -> xlr splitter -> DR-680 (mic in, no phantom, low gain switch, +14 gain)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:44:10 PM by MattH »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
Does anyone know if there is overlap between the high and low mic gain settings? It would suck to run out of gain in the low setting and have to flip it to high gain during a recording...

I am really considering getting one of these. At this point I'd have to sell my V3 to afford it though :(

This box looks like it has everything I need.

If the mic inputs aren't the greatest on the DR-680, I could use my Naiant box for the microphone pre-amp and run it line in. How are the meters? I don't suppose you can run 16 bit into the SPDIF input and run 24 bit on the mic inputs at the same time?

I have so many questions. I can't wait to hear some reviews and comparisons.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »
I see about 10dB overlap between the low and high gain settings if that helps. 20dB difference at the switch and 30dB gain from the trim.

Was interesting that I had to turn the Littlebox gain all the way up and it had to be at +7 on the DR-680 line trim to match the same recording level as mic in, high gain setting and unity trim on just the DR-680. Both were extremely quiet using a Milab LC-25 with the Tascam pre's being noticeably cleaner than the Littlebox.

Meters leave a lot to be desired but the REC TRIM increments are .5dB to make adjusting levels fairly smooth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the input, Matt.

Generally, I use around 30db to 35db of gain on the V3 with C-481's for concert recording.
So, it sounds like that range is covered with the Low Gain setting and Trim control on the DR-680.

When you adjust recording levels can you link the stereo pairs to adjust them up or down together rather than just L then R individually?

Do you see any downside to using the DR-680 as an all-in-one multi-channel pre-amp/recorder so far?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
I contacted some of the regular retailers today and found that it is generally in stock and can be bought for around $852 shipped.

I'm going to start selling some stuff... :)

I just wonder if it's fool-hardy to sell the V3 to fund buying this? The V3 is so perfect... but I'm starting to think that it's maybe not worth carrying the V3 when I like to record four tracks every time I record now? It would be so nice to have an all-in-one and not have to mess with all the various devices and their cables and power supplies I use and maintain to record with now.

Matt, I was surprised to hear that you thought the DR-680's mic pre-amps were not as noisy as the littlebox pre-amp. That may be the deciding factor for me, because I really like the littlebox pre-amp. I don't find it to be noisy at all.

I may end up buying a DR-680 and running it along side the V3 for a little while to determine if I'd be compromising anything by replacing the V3 with it.

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Matt, I was surprised to hear that you thought the DR-680's mic pre-amps were not as noisy as the littlebox pre-amp. That may be the deciding factor for me, because I really like the littlebox pre-amp. I don't find it to be noisy at all.

Well, thought they were both extremely quiet and low noise. I really didn't think one was noisier but just cleaner in tonal quality. The Littlebox has its own slight color where I find this Tascam to be more colorless and neutral.

I have generally never liked using stock all in one boxes and always find an external preamp to be beneficial. I know the mod boxes do pretty well without. But I don't see how this box will benefit from a mod when sounding this good stock. No preamp needed!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:03:45 PM by MattH »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

Well, thought they were both extremely quiet and low noise. I really didn't think one was noisier but just cleaner in tonal quality. The Littlebox has its own slight color where I find this Tascam to be more colorless and neutral.

I have genarally never liked using stock all in one boxes and always find an external preamp to be beneficial. I know the mod boxes do pretty well without. But I don't see how this box will benefit from a mod when sounding this good stock. No preamp needed!!

Very, very good news. Thanks again for the input.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2010, 01:06:57 PM »
Posting on the Yahoo Naturerecordists list, Raimund Specht said,
"...the preamplifiers of the DR-680 exhibit the same good noise
performance as the HD-P2." 

That's good news indeed, and confirm Chuck's report.

Flintstone

edit:  Here's the link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/40218
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:09:50 PM by flintstone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.387 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com