Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need your help folks :-)  (Read 8084 times)

Offline macmini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Need your help folks :-)
« on: March 26, 2003, 12:19:40 PM »
hi there!

i got round about 3500$ to spend on a nice rig here ;-) !

i taped with okmII r mics for the last 2 years and want to get some nice schoeps or neumann cards for taping mainly in arenas (loud situations) now.

first of all: what kind of schoeps or neumanns would u recommend now ? i know that its a very difficult question but due to the large amount of gazillion schoeps and neumann mics you all might have a favorite one ??

second: i also know that i gotta get a phantompower unit. sd mp2 or sx m2 seem to be very good ?!. anyone wants to sell his mint mp2 or m2 in the near future :) ?

third: where do i get this stuff (mics, active cables and p-power ?) for a good price ? i live in germany by the way (and i am proud of being half american these days :) !)

any help would be great :) !

cheers

alex

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Need your help folks :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 12:38:38 PM »
ahh....you are set if you are in germany!!!!!!!   ;)
check out www.musiciansgear.com
are planning on stealth taping?  
if so, i would look at the schoeps ccm series.
good luck,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 01:22:53 PM »
hmmmmm....if you want to stealth get the active cables, the ORTF bar and the mk4 caps, super easy config, very stealthy.

If you want bodies the cmc5/6 will do you fine.

As far as caps go the mk4 is a nice card cap, but I have really fallen in love with the mk41 hyper caps. I am learning you can use these up close, far back and they always sound good. The mk4 has a warmer low end, but the mk41 is super tight.

I wish I had gotten the mk5 off the start, gives you omni and cards switchable in one cap. Also has a high frequencey empahsis so the omni can be used farther back, which would come in big during the summer outdoors in the TS section.

You will learn quickly that the schoeps line has an incredible line of accessories and options. More caps than you can shake a stick at, tubes, etc, etc, etc

As far as pre amps go the mp-2 is good, but I think a V2 or V3 would better compliment the schoeps. The schoeps have a fantastic bottom end, but when you use them with pre that also color the bottom end like the mp2 or mini-me you tend to get a bloated bottom end.  I find the V2 and V3 to really be nice with the schoeps since they don't color the sound any more.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline macmini

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 02:13:25 PM »
As far as caps go the mk4 is a nice card cap, but I have really fallen in love with the mk41 hyper caps. I am learning you can use these up close, far back and they always sound good. The mk4 has a warmer low end, but the mk41 is super tight.

I wish I had gotten the mk5 off the start, gives you omni and cards switchable in one cap. Also has a high frequencey empahsis so the omni can be used farther back, which would come in big during the summer outdoors in the TS section.

You will learn quickly that the schoeps line has an incredible line of accessories and options. More caps than you can shake a stick at, tubes, etc, etc, etc

As far as pre amps go the mp-2 is good, but I think a V2 or V3 would better compliment the schoeps. The schoeps have a fantastic bottom end, but when you use them with pre that also color the bottom end like the mp2 or mini-me you tend to get a bloated bottom end.  I find the V2 and V3 to really be nice with the schoeps since they don't color the sound any more.

thanx so much for your ideas!

V2 ? V3 ? who makes them ?  ???

i think i'll go with with those mk5 then  ;) !

by the way: where do you put all that stuff and how do u sneak it into arenas ?! most of the times i'll be going alone and when i imagine the size of my sony d-100, those active cables (which ones should i buy ? any differences ? ), the mics + the phantomunit ?? gee....thats quite some stuff ;)

what a great forum this is :) !

alex

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 02:46:10 PM »
hey don't let these schoeps users deceive you, neumanns are good too, they sell and active setup as well. Their active km100 series is less than schoeps cmc6 series (with or without active cables). A good start with the neumann mics is the neumann km140s with the lc3 active cables. While I do agree on going the all in one unit I must say that scott cervin's v2 and mod sbm-1 is an excellent start to any rig. I believe he has them priced down to around $1300 for both pieces leaving you plenty for nice NEUMANN mics and perhaps two sets of caps. Feel free to drop me a line or give me a call at work 601-898-4858 if you have any further questions, and yes the schoeps are good mics too, I prefer neumanns and still others prefer akgs and others microtech geffells anyways good luck and use this forum as we al have excellent resources and know of some great deals on new and used inventory and how to put it in your hands, thats half the fun for me.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 03:14:56 PM »
I am not trying to deceive anyone, I just have schoeps so I can't speak to Nuemanns  ;D

The V2/V3 is made in the US by Grace designs.

Are you taping a lot of bands that don't allow taping?

And I would agree that the V2, MODSBM-1 is a great combo to start with. Ran it with my schoeps for awhile before getting the mini-me.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 03:26:25 PM »
 yeah I was kidding ;) ;) ;), trying to give the neumann run down, email johnny or contact jpschust on this board about getting a logon to his server to decide you sounds best to you, I m sure he has plenty of shows with many different sources.

T
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 03:28:12 PM »
I know....wish I could own them all......when used right they all sound good to my ears!!! 8)
In Tyler we Trust

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 03:40:41 PM »
Nuemann's/DPA/Schoeps are three brands you can't go wrong with!

"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 03:53:20 PM »
nice avatar phil
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline macmini

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 04:14:35 PM »
damn.....you guys dont make it easier for me to decide :) !

so its gotta be either schoeps or those nice neumann km140s :) ?!

how much would be a full set up then (mics, cables and phantompower) ?

thanx again!

alex

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 08:57:38 PM »
Not sure on the Neumann prices because I know they went up some.

For schoeps you are looking at about $900 for the cmc6 bodies
mk4 caps are about $850 for matched pairs
mk5 caps are about $1400-1500 for matched pais
mk41 are about $1100 for matched pairs

Now if you want to stealth you will need to pick between using regular colette cables which require you to still use bodies. The colette cable allows you to seperate the cap and the body, run the cap up on the stand and the body in your bag. A pair of the colette cables will run you around $600 new.

You can also use the KCY active cable which allows you to run the caps with out bodies, but you will need a VMS 5U Schoeps preamp to power the cables, the cable runs about $500 and the VMS is around $1300 new.

Using the collette cables or the KCY cables will let you change caps for stealthing.

If you want fixed caps you can look into the ccm series, they are straight up bodiless mics but you have to pick one cap and they ain't cheap. Fixed cards will run you close to $2200 new.

The V2 I talked about you can get used for around $650-$750, V3 is close to $1500.

Hope this helps, schoeps are not cheap, I active Neumann set up is cheaper, so it depends on what your ears like. Since you live in Germany you will probably pay about 10% less.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 06:26:05 PM »
Definately will find some better pricing in Germany.

Offline macmini

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2003, 05:52:49 PM »
hi there!

what do u think about this offer:

Recording Equipment:
neumann ak40s
neumann lc-3 active cables
neumann km100s  
++++++++++++

all for round about 2000$ !

thanx for your help!

alex
« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 05:53:16 PM by macmini »

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2003, 06:55:07 PM »
very nice package if these are the mics you like.  i happen to run this exact combo.  let me know if you'd like some samples.

however, i believe you can do better on the price if you shop around.  where were you quoted this price from?  

hope this helps.

~Scott
« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 06:59:09 PM by hippies »

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2003, 06:55:50 PM »
Not a bad offer for new... fyi new goes for about 1900-2100 used goes for 1400-1600.

Jonny

PS- that's for the SKM set (should include the mount, the ac cables, the 40 caps, the bodies, a nice wooden case, and a Neumann waranty)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com