Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK4(1)v users q  (Read 11168 times)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Schoeps MK4(1)v users q
« on: April 09, 2003, 03:17:25 PM »
Hey all...I have a question for you 4(1)v users:
Have you guys run them horizontal in the ORTF position and liked the results?  I haven't heard any tapes from this positioning and am wondering how the results are compared to running them in the standard vertical position.  
I am assuming the pickup pattern is the same either way because the mic itself doesn't know what direction it's facing, but would the shell do anything to it?  
Do you guys prefer the horizontal pattern over the vertical pattern in the setup?  I just am interested in hearing what you have to say.  peace
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Re:Schoeps MK4(1)v users q
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 04:08:19 PM »
when I run the fours, I usually run them XY, emulating the XY4V thing. I figure if schoeps does it that way, it's good enough for me!

Bri

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 04:49:08 PM »
i ran the 4v's for summer tour 99 and was less than satisfied with the results.  at the time i was running into the old vms box.  when i ran them i ran them both vertically and ortf.  there is definitely a difference in the sound depending on which way you run them.  i liked them more when i ran them ortf.  i used the schoeps stc bar.  to do this it looks like the mics are facing the back of the room.  for my tastes, though, i just could not see me taping the majority of shows with them.  i thought the bass was a little muddy and the highs were too brittle.  kinda overexaggerated and electronic sounding to my ears.  

now, having said that, i have heard MANY nice tapes bri and others have pulled with these mics.  usually the tapes i like with them are in small venues up front.  that is where i believe they tend to shine.  anyway, i got the 41's after that tour and have never been happier.    the highs on the 41's are so sweet!!!!!   imo, it is the best all around cap schoeps makes.

have fun,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 05:00:08 PM »
so, so far you think they are best to run em like they look like they are facing backwards when you are close up?  
I thought that maybe the pickup pattern would change as well, as it sounds like it may have when you ran em in that position.
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 05:06:22 PM »
I agree, the mk41 is a great cap and can be used in almost any situation.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »
the ONLY way you can configure the 4v's or 41v's in ortf is to run them backwards.
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

JasonGreen

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 06:58:50 PM »
Where'd you guys buy your Schoeps?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 08:21:59 PM »
I got a great package deal on a pair of cmc5 with mk41 caps from Soundpure.com. Not sure what the prices are with the increase, I got that set for $1800
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 09:15:53 PM »
the ONLY way you can configure the 4v's or 41v's in ortf is to run them backwards.
dave
Interesting!  That answers it...+T peace
Phil

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 11:41:52 AM »
dave

Not necessarily true.  I have seen several folks run them on a sliding bar using the mini clips that schoeps sells.  Not as easy to set up as using the stcg bar and running it backwards, but for the purists, this is the way to go.  Also, Robert Kwon was telling me that he is producing a vertical bar for the v series w/ actives.  Just like the stcg bar, but the holes allow them to stand straight up.  You adjust the degree of orientation to suit your needs.  He also makes a DIN bar(one 17cm/90deg and another 20cm/90deg).  They are machined to perfection just like the stcg bar, except it is black.

-William

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 11:51:32 AM »
i believe those bars are available at cascademedia if not straight from robert himself, do you have his email william and would he mind you posting it?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline wboswell

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 02:00:25 PM »
Email me if interested and I will email Robert.  I doubt that he would care, but cosidering that he always posts anon on other boards, he might want to deal with it.  As far as cascade goes, they have pictures on their site.  DIN, DIN-A, and NOS...  and no, I am not affiliated with either.  I just hate seeing sources with people running 41's with the stcg bar just because they have active cables.  Yes, there is a better way  ::)

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2003, 02:20:02 PM »
I love the 4V's and generally run them backwards on the STC bar (because I'm lazy like that).  The thing is though, it's not really ortf.  It's just about 17cm of spacing (probably closer to 15cm, in reality) and 70* included angle, not 110* like the ortf spec.

I'd be interested in a bar that would do multiple configs easy though :)

Offline wboswell

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2003, 02:26:17 PM »
I don't run the 4v's but I have compared them the the 4's and the diaphragms looked to me like the line up correctly.  I could be wrong.  Anybody else tried this?  

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 02:54:23 PM »
thanks for the info william!!!  +T  ;D
there's always another way....
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com