Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: normalize vs eq soundforge  (Read 5382 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: normalize vs eq soundforge
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 11:01:12 AM »
To continue this discussion I have a question:

Let's say you were going to do some compression on a track and it peaks at -5 dB.  My software allows me to add gain after it compresses to boost the signal.  Should I do this now to get the track to - 0 dB?

Or should I compress (we'll say anything over -20 dB at a 2.5:1 ratio for arguements sake), adding no gain and then normalize the recording to - 0 dB.

If I did it the first way there is really no need to normalize because the track is now peaked at -0 dB.  Or is it better to just compress with no added gain and then normalize?

Thanks.

why bring things up to 0???  As long as your peaks are reasonably set, you are golden.....leave the dynamic range preserved instead of trying to squeeze all the volume out...UNLESS you are trying to be commercially competitive...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:03:49 AM by Teddy »

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »
No not trying to be commercially competitive but I just assummed almost everyone normalized to 0 or a hair under.  Especially if your uploading your source for e-sharing.

For example, I just taped a Black Crowes show (16-bit) that I plan to share.  Because of this thread I decided not to stress over levels and just dialed it in and let it ride instead of getting it just right so it hit 0.  It sure was a lot stressful and easier to do and I ended up with a nice show and it looks like my highest peak was about -4.5.

Normally, I would just fade-in the beginning, fade-out the end, normalize (each channel seperately) to 0 and be done with it.  Because of this thread I thought I would try an across the board compression on the whole show and make two copies for myself.  One copy made using my normal method and a second copy where I tried some compression.  Then I would listen to them both mainly just to learn what it does, how it sounds and to learn something for myself.

However, if I leave the copy that I plan to distribute at -4.5 w/o normalizing, I have a feeling my friends will immediately notice and make comemnts like "hey, this show has low levels compared to other stuff you've given me..."

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »
No not trying to be commercially competitive but I just assummed almost everyone normalized to 0 or a hair under.  Especially if your uploading your source for e-sharing.

<snip>

Normally, I would just fade-in the beginning, fade-out the end, normalize (each channel seperately) to 0 and be done with it.  Because of this thread I thought I would try an across the board compression on the whole show and make two copies for myself.  One copy made using my normal method and a second copy where I tried some compression.  Then I would listen to them both mainly just to learn what it does, how it sounds and to learn something for myself.

However, if I leave the copy that I plan to distribute at -4.5 w/o normalizing, I have a feeling my friends will immediately notice and make comemnts like "hey, this show has low levels compared to other stuff you've given me..."

Hey Morningdew,  I am running into the exact same concerns as you.  I have a bunch of old DAT masters, and I feel uncomfortable putting them out there with the levels so low.

General question to people... Do you care if the volumes are low-ish?  Or would you rather
have something normalized +/- compressed so it sounds a little more reasonable?  I'm not talking commercial-level in-your-face volumes, just something a bit above -30/-20 db.  I didn't deliberately
set the gain so low, I usually tried to get the peaks at about -12 db and that's just where things
leveled out.

Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »
I dont normalize at all really..if I do, it is to about -8 to 10 with the highest peaks. I use a very light compression ratio..1:17 to 1 and set the Limiter threshold at -.30

<snip>

Hey Morningdew,  I am running into the exact same concerns as you.  I have a bunch of old DAT masters, and I feel uncomfortable putting them out there with the levels so low.

General question to people... Do you care if the volumes are low-ish?  Or would you rather
have something normalized +/- compressed so it sounds a little more reasonable?  I'm not talking commercial-level in-your-face volumes, just something a bit above -30/-20 db.  I didn't deliberately
set the gain so low, I usually tried to get the peaks at about -12 db and that's just where things
leveled out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com