Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grado rs1/2 vs Senn HD650 Headroom Max/Blockhead  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Grado rs1/2 vs Senn HD650 Headroom Max/Blockhead
« on: May 06, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »
Looking to put together a high-end headphone rig (my house size/config is such that I do not want to invest in other high end playback until I move)... thought I was going to go m902->rs1/2, but am having second thoughts. 

Anybody have the Senn HD650? It seems to me that the high end is not as bright as the rs1s/2s (but I have never been able to compare them in one sitting, side-by-side)?  What do you guys think where the primary music will be, of course, live recordings of amplified rock and roll?

Also, do you have any thoughts on the Headroom headphone amps?  The Blockhead at $3k+ will probably be more than I want to spend, but what about it? What about the headroom max?  FWIW, I heard they will be putting out a new unit with the next few weeks.

Many thanks.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
Re: Grado rs1/2 vs Senn HD650 Headroom Max/Blockhead
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
Also, as an AKG guy, I guess I should ask about the k1000 headphones...never heard them and they look kind of funky, but the reviews I've read are positive..."most transparently organic headphone listening experience we've had"...I like the sound of that! Thoughts anyone?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 03:25:04 PM »
I only got to audition the K1000's twice and i loved them.   I recall them sounding very airy, i'd love to audition them again one day.  I know they need one hell of an amp to power them though.  Grado's and Sennheiser generally have a drastic difference in sound signature.  The Grado's are typically described as being bright and fast, whereas the Sennheisers are often described as darker/smoother and slower, my hd580's remind me of how a speaker sounds (when properly amped) compared to my various Grado models (sr60's, sr80's which were sold off and my sr100's) which sound like a headphone for sure.  I briefly auditioned the HD650's and they had plenty of bass and were quite comfy out of a Headroom maxed out home amp.  Try over at www.head-fi.org where you should find tons of comments and reviews on all three headphones and the blockhead.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 03:35:17 PM »
I have the Sennheiser HD600s. I have not compared to the RS-1/2 but directly to a friend's 125s (I think that was the number - it was one of the middle models). I liked the Senns better. I originally chose to get them for the comfort. I couldn't stand having something ON my ear like the Grados.

Even if the Grados sounded better, I still wouldn't buy them for the fit. The Senns sounded like they were having no trouble throughout the range whereas the Grados lacked a bit in the low end. That may also be a product level difference since I think the HD600s cost more than the 125s.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:44:13 PM »
I have the Sennheiser HD600s. I have not compared to the RS-1/2 but directly to a friend's 125s (I think that was the number - it was one of the middle models). I liked the Senns better. I originally chose to get them for the comfort. I couldn't stand having something ON my ear like the Grados.

Even if the Grados sounded better, I still wouldn't buy them for the fit. The Senns sounded like they were having no trouble throughout the range whereas the Grados lacked a bit in the low end. That may also be a product level difference since I think the HD600s cost more than the 125s.

Those HD600's are a fine headphone, i went with the 580's since it was 95% of the sound (based on reviews and comparisons) and i've enjoyed them immensely up until last year when i finally tracked down the headphones i was looking for for nearly a year. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »
just to provide a little contrasting opinion here, I have grado rs-2 headphones, which I love.  (let me preface by saying, I'm not great at describing in words what I hear).  before I bought the grado's, I did do a head-to-head with Senn HD-600.  to me, the RS-2's made the music jump out and become more real and lively. (and they certainly don't lack anything in the low end.  in fact, the bass extension is wonderful). 

I don't mind at all the way they sit on my ears, so the purchase was a no brainer.  in the end, they are both great headphones.  you should listen to them head-to-head and see which you prefer.  It's definitely a good idea, and it'll ease your mind to know that you bought the headphones that you liked best.

side note - gloco - out of curiousity, which headphones do you now have, that took nearly a year to track down ??

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 06:57:53 PM »
if you are hearing more bass in the senns than the grados it's probably because the senns are hyped in the low end.

i've always thought of the grados as a having a very true sound.

ymmv

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 07:02:49 PM »
side note - gloco - out of curiousity, which headphones do you now have, that took nearly a year to track down ??

Good points you made about both headphones, it's definitely in Charlies best interest to try both headphones.  I'm pretty sure www.headphone.com has a 30 return policy and they carry a wide selection of headphones

Oh, the headphones i own now are a pair of Sennheiser HE60 with their amplifier, the HEV70.  They're electrostatic headphones and their price (when they were available) was $1500 new, i got them for half the price from a seller in England and that in itself was a major headache when the seller vanished for a few weeks after receiving payment (he had good feedback, figures!).  Eventually he got the hint that i was going to go after him with a lawyer (thanks to a phone call my sister made to the seller's father) so he shipped the headphones/amp asap.  Thankfully, they work wonderfully and I plan on building a system around these suckers down the road with a KGSS amp from this site:

http://www.headamp.com/kgss.shtml

I included a picture of my current rig   8)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 07:10:51 PM »
if you are hearing more bass in the senns than the grados it's probably because the senns are hyped in the low end.

i've always thought of the grados as a having a very true sound.

ymmv

The senn's definitely have a bass hump.  I dunno about the Grado's representing a true sound.  I've found the models i own to sound (and their known for these characteristics): bright, forward presentation (often described as aggressive or in your face).  I also consider them a little artificial sounding but they do kick ass with rock music because of their forward presentation which makes them sound "fast" and have a lot of snap/bite to percussion (especially snare drums) and they have a tendency to make higher frequency intruments (like cymbals and electric guitars for instance) have a more "lively" presentation...again, in your face is the best way to describe it. 

I can't speak for the upper models since i briefly auditioned the RS1's and probably the RS2's at one time or another.  I personally own the SR-60's and have owned the SR80's.  I also own the SR100's which are not in production and those have a more laidback presentation compared to the newer SR line.  Although, that shouldn't be taken as if i'm bashing Grado's.  I still think the SR60's are a kick ass headphone and would most definitely give a person the urge to listen to their cd collection again to experience it through a Grado headphone. 

All IMHO naturally.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 07:53:03 AM »
Looking to put together a high-end headphone rig (my house size/config is such that I do not want to invest in other high end playback until I move)... thought I was going to go m902->rs1/2, but am having second thoughts.

Why are you having second thoughts on the m902?

ANDY

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 02:54:49 PM »
I only got to audition the K1000's twice and i loved them.   I recall them sounding very airy, i'd love to audition them again one day.  I know they need one hell of an amp to power them though.  Grado's and Sennheiser generally have a drastic difference in sound signature.  The Grado's are typically described as being bright and fast, whereas the Sennheisers are often described as darker/smoother and slower, my hd580's remind me of how a speaker sounds (when properly amped) compared to my various Grado models (sr60's, sr80's which were sold off and my sr100's) which sound like a headphone for sure.  I briefly auditioned the HD650's and they had plenty of bass and were quite comfy out of a Headroom maxed out home amp.  Try over at www.head-fi.org where you should find tons of comments and reviews on all three headphones and the blockhead.

Thanks, all.  I'm torn between 650s+headroom max or rs-1s+m902.   The shitty thing is that there's nowhere around dc that has all that equipment in stock to do a test...

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 03:53:03 PM »

Thanks, all.  I'm torn between 650s+headroom max or rs-1s+m902.   The shitty thing is that there's nowhere around dc that has all that equipment in stock to do a test...

Try contacting Headroom and let them know you would like to audition some equipment (they don't carry the grace), but if they are willing they'll ask for your cc and ship the cans and their amp for an audition for a few weeks.   I did that a while back with a MOH and then sent it back after 2 weeks.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com