Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ambisonic mics --- has anyone here recorded any shows?  (Read 9138 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Ambisonic mics --- has anyone here recorded any shows?
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
Has anyone got any recordings recorded with a soundfield or the core sound mic?

I am putting together an full-sphere decoding setup and would like to hear them. I would be interested in the raw format (A-format?) or b-format. Thanks!

Gordon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:43:29 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Ambisonic mics --- has anyone here recorded any shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »
Hi Gordon...
i've never used the raw B format from the soundfield when I had one.  Try Focker ?

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »

I am putting together an full-sphere decoding setup and would like to hear them. I would be interested in the raw format (A-format?) or b-format. Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon I'ev got lots of B Format recordings saved....fromt he Soundfield 350.  Let me know what you'd like and I can send it your way.  I have about 15 complete B Format recordings saved....and a shitload of partial recordings. :-\
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
Jim Pollock has circulated hundreds of his B-format recordings.  They're all over archive.org  ;)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »

Gordon

I've always wanted to hear an ambisonic playback setup, can I come over?

I've come across various b-format material on the web from various ambisonic sites, some of it soundfield sourced, some home brewed Nimbus-rig type recordings and some synthesized.  The synthesized stuff also included some higher order encodes.  Never downloaded any of it since I couldn't do anything with it, but I may be able to find some links if you like.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »

Gordon

Gordon I'ev got lots of B Format recordings saved....fromt he Soundfield 350.  Let me know what you'd like and I can send it your way.  I have about 15 complete B Format recordings saved....and a shitload of partial recordings. :-\

P.M. me with the names of the bands you have. I would sure like to get some shows in B-format.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »
I've always wanted to hear an ambisonic playback setup, can I come over?

I've come across various b-format material on the web from various ambisonic sites, some of it soundfield sourced, some home brewed Nimbus-rig type recordings and some synthesized.  The synthesized stuff also included some higher order encodes.  Never downloaded any of it since I couldn't do anything with it, but I may be able to find some links if you like.

You would be welcome to listen of course. Still there are a few pieces to put in place.

Here's what's going to be in this setup. Four powered/bi-amped Yamaha HS50M's. An HS10W subwoofer. Some piece of software for decoding. An RME multiface to provide a line level output to the speakers. There won't be height information with four speakers, but it should give me a flat listening plane.

I have been studying ambisonics for less than two years, so kind of new at it.
There have been some new developments on the [sursound] list that will interest the forum. They plan to use VLC (www.videolan.org's media player) to decode b-format to surround sound for anyone with a 5.1 home entertainment system. Fons Adriaenson, the guy who wrote AmbDec is going to provide the decoding piece for this. Details are sketchy. Nothing is set in stone yet, but the basic idea is there.

One of the setbacks to ambisonics, of course is very few people have listening setups. This is an attempt to deliver b-format files to people's homes. It's a compromise, of course, but it's what's needed to jump start the technology. Content should drive the technology, but the hardware is too complicated and expensive and so no one wants files in this format. So it's Catch-22.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »
As ancient as I am I can remember the grumbling when stereo came in: two of everything.  Granted, stereo was a quantum leap forward.  Most in-home receivers today are set up for 5.1, which means that it should be able to hand AS OK: just feed four channels.  The decoder is the key.  Does not AS offer one?  There has to be some reasonable way to get that sound into four or 5 or 5.1 channels.  Otherwise, as you intimate, what's the point? 

On another board a fellow has said that SF, and I guess AS, make the best Blumlein pairs as the angles are always a perfect 90 degrees.  As an emulation of standard stereo setups it should be great.  I will have enough grief making the Schoeps DMS setup work.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »
I will have enough grief making the Schoeps DMS setup work.

So, what plans do you have to handle the recording and playback of this? ---Just curious.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:32 AM »
I will have enough grief making the Schoeps DMS setup work.

You'll see it's easier than you think. I'm using it with a Behringer LD and two cheap SD cardiods for outside atmospheres and soundscapes and it works nicely.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Kewl

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Ambisonic Studio
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »

There are numerous B-Format recordings from different Soundfield models and the TetraMic on Ambisonia.
http://www.ambisonia.com/

There's also electronic music mixed with analog and digital B-Format panners/encoders on Ambisonia.

- Daniel

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
There are numerous B-Format recordings from different Soundfield models and the TetraMic on Ambisonia.
http://www.ambisonia.com/

There's also electronic music mixed with analog and digital B-Format panners/encoders on Ambisonia.

- Daniel

Thanks Daniel. Yes, I am aware of ambisonia. (Actually I have been working with Etienne a bit on a tool for his site.)
That is a good source of samples ready to download in b-format. I was hoping to get some longer shows here and various genres for additional listening at home.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
I was hoping to get some longer shows here and various genres for additional listening at home.

Not exactly ambisonics but probably interesting nonetheless: Dutch Concertzender is streaming surround in high quality (386 kbps) on the web with all kinds of music, including 'historic' quadraphonic material. I listen to their program via a 4-speaker setup somewhat similar to yours.

http://www.concertzender.eu/sr.php

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
Project Verdi (in german, here's the Google english translation) has some interesting info on comparing multiple surround techniques all simultaneously recorded for orchestra and chorus back in '02.  The download page has AC3 encoded samples of multiple 5.0 techniques as well as a link to the Soundfield B-format (without height) files.  The zipped B-format files required contacting the webmaster for download.

Not B-format, but I've had fun recently playing with 4 channel surround recording and the results are quite promising.  I don't have a 4-track recorder so all recordings are made to two R-09's which actually keep sync amazingly well.  I'm basically adding two additional channels to my primary existing L/R stereo recording so I can always default to stereo. The additional two tracks are either a Ls/Rs pair or a center/back pair. Playback is through the analog inputs to a 7.1 receiver using 4 or 5 of the amplifier channels and good quality but unmatched speakers.  L/R+Ls/Rs playback ignores the center speaker and uses two rear speakers.  The L/R+C/B instead uses the center speaker and a single central rear, or splits the mono rear signal to two rear speakers which used all 5 speakers and produces a more diffuse an enveloping rear.  I'd like to play with decorrelating the the split mono signal between the rears.

The recordings are either 4 omnis (DPA 4060's) spaced in a square for L/R+Ls/Rs, closer spaced baffled omnis for L/R+C/B, or a Blumlein pair for L/R + spaced omnis for LS,Rs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Kewl

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Ambisonic Studio
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
Project Verdi (in german, here's the Google english translation) has some interesting info on comparing multiple surround techniques all simultaneously recorded for orchestra and chorus back in '02.

There's actually an English version here http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~proverdi/indexen.html

- Daniel

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com