Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16418 times)

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 11:27:16 PM »
When you say, "backed up", do you mean they run routine backups of your system, or do you have the files stored on their server, independent of your own system?
That's the big thing I keep running into with a lot of these places; when I talk to them, they make it sound as though they only do system backups, not offline data storage.
Somewhere in between the questions I'm asking, and the answers I'm getting from these places, there might be some confusion over terminologies or something, perhaps.

I have 24tb backed up to Hightail.  $16 a month and I share any file with any person in seconds.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:49:08 AM by GroundHog420 »
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »
I have 24tb backed up to Hightail.  $16 a month and I share any file with any person in seconds.

Is there a bandwidth limit on hightail for when you share?
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

Is there a bandwidth limit on hightail for when you share?

Nope.  I use it too.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »
Wow, I use the same stuff the Spy uses.  Amazing.  Great minds think alike. 

Next thing you'll tell me is that you like Schoeps, Eric Clapton, and BBQ. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »
I have 19TBs backed up with BackBlaze.  It seems to be good for backups and storage, but not for sharing.  But my main goal was simply to have unlimited backups for a reasonable price (I'm paying $60/yr).

I thought they charged $0.005/GB/Month?  I have looked at B2 which would be over $200/month for me.  No thanks.  It's even more expensive to pull data back down.  They also do not allow mapped drives or NAS connections although I think FreeNAS (my OS) has a feature that defeats it.

It's a flat fee for unlimited backup:  $6/mth --- $60/yr --- $110 for two years.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »
Umm... help a brother out here, please....?  A lot of this conversation seems to be related to "backing up" data, which isn't exactly the same thing as storing 20+ TB on a dedicated server.

Like I tried to say earlier, I've been talking to reps from some of the companies, and they keep making a clear distinction between providing "backups", which it seems most of these places do provide, and "offline data storage", which it seems most of them either don't provide, or only offer for much smaller amounts of data, such as "5TB is the maximum storage space we offer", etc.

- - - -

When you say, "backed up", do you mean they run routine backups of your system, or do you have the files stored on their server, independent of your own system?
That's the big thing I keep running into with a lot of these places; when I talk to them, they make it sound as though they only do system backups, not offline data storage.
Somewhere in between the questions I'm asking, and the answers I'm getting from these places, there might be some confusion over terminologies or something, perhaps.

Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Define the terms.

Backup to me means software + cloud storage. To my knowledge, there are no economical and practical options for the 15tb range.

Cloud Storage to me means storage in the cloud which can be mere storage of a bunch of files or one can store an entire data set in the cloud. That can act as a backup but it has to be manually uploaded.  Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Just a quick note - Backblaze allows files over 25 GB. This probably isn’t all that important to many here, but since the Panasonic  ZS100 camera’s recording time limit can be hacked to allow unlimited recording, I regularly film shows and have single video files over 50 GB.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
Exactly. Our definitions are the same.

Personally, I have no need for backups.

I *do* have a need for cloud storage, but a lot more than the limit most places seem to offer.

Possibly I connected with the wrong person at hightail? The response I received from indicated that my need for cloud storage wasn't exactly what they were designed for.

Did you sign up with their "Pro" plan? That's what looked right for my needs. but their response indicated otherwise....??

- - - -

Define the terms.

Backup to me means software + cloud storage. To my knowledge, there are no economical and practical options for the 15tb range.

Cloud Storage to me means storage in the cloud which can be mere storage of a bunch of files or one can store an entire data set in the cloud. That can act as a backup but it has to be manually uploaded.  Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Just a quick note - Backblaze allows files over 25 GB. This probably isn’t all that important to many here, but since the Panasonic  ZS100 camera’s recording time limit can be hacked to allow unlimited recording, I regularly film shows and have single video files over 50 GB.

Do you  compress the files before backup?  When you zip the files how much do they compress? 

Offline guitard

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »

Do you  compress the files before backup?  When you zip the files how much do they compress?

I don't do anything with the files; except of course, load them onto a hard drive.  So no compression on the user end.  Basically, Backblaze just runs in the background and backs everything up.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
In a couple of trials I have made so far after I signed up for a Guite account.

I created a couple of backup scripts from my FreeNAS server to GDrive but it will ONLY go into "My Drive" shared folders which counts against my quota.  There is currently 9.2TB there. (Video & FLAC)

Anything that I drag and drop into "Shared Drive" folders (unshared) does not show up in my quota.

One thing that I have yet to try is to add users to the Shared Drive folders to see if I can see them populate through the backup API. 

I have yet to see a bill for anything from Google.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Yes it is their pro plan.  Unlimited storage, upload limit of 25 gigs per file.  About $16 a months

Some of my multi-track recordings and the accompanying mix files easily reach 50gb, so I have to break down the fileset to something like TracksRaw01-12, Tracks Raw 13-24, Mix Tracks 01-12, etc.  You get the general idea.  I then zip the files into a single file and upload that. 

I have onsite and offsite backups, so these are really for the house burned down and I've lost all my tapes storage.  Cheap insurance for me. 

The other thing I did was zip every show I've recorded and the split files, so I can send them to anyone via email with a link.  It takes about 30 seconds to find the link and email it, so it is super convenient for me. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
Some of my multi-track recordings and the accompanying mix files easily reach 50gb

50GBs is a shit ton of audio.  Just curious - how many tracks are in these multi-track recordings?

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
16 to 24 tracks, maybe even up to 30 if I have audience and/or ALD feeds or wireless mikes.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com