Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S onstage?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline JaL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
M/S onstage?
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:26:42 PM »
I have a (or more probably several) recording opportunities coming up at a small place. I will have the possiblity to do soundboard and four mics. Two of them are cards and the other two SP C4's (having both omnis and cards). I have recorded at this place before and the soundboard feed is usually not too good, both in terms of instruments not being present (I can solve this with direct outs->behringer mixer) and the sound tech not being the best and loving to touch everything throughout the sets. I can, if I want to, record six channels at once. The C4's are a new addition to the arsenal and I'm thinking about putting them onstage, and I've been reading up on the M/S technique (never tried it). Would this be a good choice? Would I use one omni and one card capsule? I should add I guess that this is a rock club. Any input appreciated.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: M/S onstage?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:35:19 PM »
you would need a figure 8 cap, and a card cap to do M/S.  but yes, M/S would be great for on stage if you have the gear.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:55:05 PM »
So, a figure 8 cap is a must? I think I remember reading somewhere that it can be done with an omni cap as well, in that special situation (onstage)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
So, a figure 8 cap is a must? I think I remember reading somewhere that it can be done with an omni cap as well, in that special situation (onstage)

yes, but to replace the mid mic.  not the side mic.  M/S is a directional mic for mid coupled with a figure 8 mic for side.  The variation substitutes an omni for the directional (card, hyper).

Otherwise there's no point.  You won't get true left and right from anything but a figure 8, which is the whole idea.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »

yes, but to replace the mid mic.  not the side mic.  M/S is a directional mic for mid coupled with a figure 8 mic for side.  The variation substitutes an omni for the directional (card, hyper).

Otherwise there's no point.  You won't get true left and right from anything but a figure 8, which is the whole idea.
isnt it the other way around..? you can use anything for the mid, but the side must be fig 8, otherwise it wont work - only a fig 8 is symmetrical like that when rotated 90 degrees...

two fig 8's is blumlein, but i forget which way the mics need to be oriented...

but you can use a card or an omni for the mid channel...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:24:10 PM »
Ok, so I've learned something then. :) Any other suggestions for a possible setup onstage? I guess it depends a lot on the band and how they are situated.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 06:32:56 PM »
two fig 8's is blumlein, but i forget which way the mics need to be oriented...

The mics need to be in an "X" pattern with the + lobes pointing toward the source.
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com