Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Room Treatments - sound control (through walls)  (Read 3474 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Room Treatments - sound control (through walls)
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
Any suggestions for cutting down on the level of sound travelling through walls?  In other words, something that would be ideal for apartments?

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Room Treatments - sound control (through walls)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 01:00:41 AM »
Studio Foam
Carpet
Egg cartons
at leat 2" thick foam that you can get at craft or furniture stores

Cover the walls and ceiling with something and you should be good.
Really not very evil at all now...

BobW

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 05:07:27 AM »
staggered studs with 2" fibreglass woven inbetween
turn the volume down    ;D
if the room is big, cardboard boxes covering the walls work miracles.  (don't smoke around them !)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:23:18 AM »
staggered studs with 2" fibreglass woven inbetween
turn the volume down    ;D
if the room is big, cardboard boxes covering the walls work miracles.  (don't smoke around them !)

Staggered studs...yes, but with 2 layers of 3/4" drywall.  Need to build a roo-within-a-room to decouple it. 

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I was actually hoping to find something for finished walls that's somewhat aesthetically pleasing.  Such a thing may not exist!  :)

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 08:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I was actually hoping to find something for finished walls that's somewhat aesthetically pleasing.  Such a thing may not exist!  :)
heavy wall tapestries
the other ideas work better though
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

BobW

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 10:06:32 PM »
 A good Tibetan rug really can make a room.

If you have to take a minimalist approach, then corner traps and at least two walls covered with loosely hung (from the ceiling), heavy Oriental rugs and draperies can make a very big difference.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:07:15 AM »

covering your room with studio foam will make you feel like a real winner!  seriously...you'll want to jam in there all day long cuz it'll feel like you're in a studio.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 06:59:19 AM »
Is the idea to treat the room or prevent the sound from disturbing others?  Simply treating the room will not help in this regard.  Also, covering an entire room with fabrics and foams will make it a very dead space for music.  You may want this in a studio, but not in a playback room.  Playback rooms for music should be of a more "live" type.  Treatments are good to flatten out the room response and may help a little with cutting down the sound outside the room, but it is not the main purpose.  Again, if you can (doubt it seeing it is an apartment) decouple the listening space and make the walls more dense.

sc

BobW

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 08:50:03 AM »
Is the idea to treat the room or prevent the sound from disturbing others?  Simply treating the room will not help in this regard.  Also, covering an entire room with fabrics and foams will make it a very dead space for music.  You may want this in a studio, but not in a playback room.  Playback rooms for music should be of a more "live" type.  Treatments are good to flatten out the room response and may help a little with cutting down the sound outside the room, but it is not the main purpose.  Again, if you can (doubt it seeing it is an apartment) decouple the listening space and make the walls more dense.

sc

I like a fairly dead playback room.
I listen to alot of material with mucho spacial information in it from two-mic live recording.

Putting sound absorbing materiel on the walls, floor and ceiling will do just that. It will help, not stop, sound reflection and transmission.
The problem with sound abosorbing materials is that they aren't effective for low frequency sounds, espeially sub-sonics.
These get re-radiated as walls, studs, furniture, and such as they resonate from them. (even in adjoining spaces)

scervin is dead on, you must decouple bass to keep neighbors or 'rents happy.

Speaker spikes or a plinth with spikes and spacing from the walls is a very first step.
Dissimilar materials of varying densities is another good way to decouple.

Sandwich and glue high-density foam, styrofoam, plywood, etc. together to make sturdy decouplers

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 01:16:28 PM »
Great reference ! 
Thanks

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 02:50:09 PM »
No problem.  That's more of a DIY room treatment refrence.  If you guys would like me to post more $$ commercial links, I am happy to do that as well next time I stop in.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
So when you post references that are appreciated, do you want a +T or are you at the point where you want more -Ts for dilution?  I wasn't sure.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »
Doesn't matter.

A great reference for this stuff, and I admit, I haven't had the time to read All of the site is

http://www.realtraps.com

I also have a source for rather cheap but extremely astetically(sp?) pleasing room treatments that I found on ebay.  I can post a picture of what mine look like if anyone would like me to.  They are designed to hang on the walls, but using a link I found for tweaking MMG's I built an extremely solid steel support to hold them upright that isn't ugly.  They are 4x2, 6 inch thick panels, and were less than 150 clams shipped.  Very well built and more importantly, they did wonders for my first reflection points!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com