Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)

<< < (18/18)

BonoBeats:

--- Quote from: roffels on November 06, 2021, 11:33:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: BonoBeats on April 22, 2021, 08:42:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gutbucket on April 22, 2021, 10:55:09 AM ---Yeah the cables on the earlier version were beige and very thin/lightweight, like the cables on cheap in-ear headphones.

--- End quote ---

Just arrived.

These are similarly thin, compared to my Naiant XX. Surprisingly so; I have durability concerns, especially given their price.

--- End quote ---

Will these handle louder shows ok? I have an older set of the standard binaural mics from Sound Professionals and have been at risk of overloading them. The higher sensitivity of these concern me, but it also says it handles louder sound pressure levels.

--- End quote ---

I ran them FOB Dick's with no issues. That's probably not the best scenario for these mics- with the big stacks, the only (or "best") example of sound localization is the crowd noise, moreso than the music. They'd excel better either on stage/stage lip, or for unamplified music, IMO.

prepschoolalumniblues:

--- Quote from: BonoBeats on January 18, 2022, 10:28:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Gutbucket on April 22, 2021, 10:55:09 AM ---Yeah the cables on the earlier version were beige and very thin/lightweight, like the cables on cheap in-ear headphones.

--- End quote ---

Just arrived.

These are similarly thin, compared to my Naiant XX. Surprisingly so; I have durability concerns, especially given their price.

--- End quote ---

Will these handle louder shows ok? I have an older set of the standard binaural mics from Sound Professionals and have been at risk of overloading them. The higher sensitivity of these concern me, but it also says it handles louder sound pressure levels.

--- End quote ---

I ran them FOB Dick's with no issues. That's probably not the best scenario for these mics- with the big stacks, the only (or "best") example of sound localization is the crowd noise, moreso than the music. They'd excel better either on stage/stage lip, or for unamplified music, IMO.

--- End quote ---

If you’re able to share the recording, I’d love to hear it!!

My first mics were the Sound Professionals Ear-Hook Binaurals (MS-EHB-2-PREM). They sounded fantastic for unamplified music but got overloaded for anything amplified. I liked the ear-hook format because it allowed me to still wear earplugs and they were, surprisingly, pretty secure.

I think that because I started out with binaural recording that approach still feels like the best to me — I really love the feeling of being enveloped in the concert space, and I like some crowd noise because that adds to the verisimilitude. I also primarily listen to music on headphones, so that colors my feelings.

BonoBeats:

--- Quote from: prepschoolalumniblues on January 18, 2022, 05:29:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: BonoBeats on January 18, 2022, 10:28:49 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Just arrived.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If you’re able to share the recording, I’d love to hear it!!

My first mics were the Sound Professionals Ear-Hook Binaurals (MS-EHB-2-PREM). They sounded fantastic for unamplified music but got overloaded for anything amplified. I liked the ear-hook format because it allowed me to still wear earplugs and they were, surprisingly, pretty secure.

I think that because I started out with binaural recording that approach still feels like the best to me — I really love the feeling of being enveloped in the concert space, and I like some crowd noise because that adds to the verisimilitude. I also primarily listen to music on headphones, so that colors my feelings.

--- End quote ---

Here's a sample:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGSnC0XI9-A6a7HNlpu62PedAU29JKgQ/view?usp=sharing

There's a bit of EQ on these, mostly low end roll off and a high end shelf (+4.5 around 5kHz up; maybe a bit excessive, upon relisten) to compensate for distance. I could have done more, but didn't want to get too far from the original sound.

jimjazzdad:

--- Quote from: BonoBeats on January 19, 2022, 10:26:10 PM ---Here's a sample:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGSnC0XI9-A6a7HNlpu62PedAU29JKgQ/view?usp=sharing

There's a bit of EQ on these, mostly low end roll off and a high end shelf (+4.5 around 5kHz up) to compensate for distance. I could have done more, but didn't want to get too far from the original sound.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting that. I'm hoping the MS-TFB-2 MkII will be similar and suitable for more acoustic performances - mostly jazz and classical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version