Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Do these mogami snakes look OK?

(1/3) > >>

SMsound:
I just got these new Mogami 2930  2ch snakes (custom).

The fanout section towards the ends are supposed to have added black heatshrink tubing on top.

Do these look like they have heatshrink (the thin cables that have 1 and 2 written on them)?  I have never taken apart a 2930 cable and don't know if this is what they already look like inside, or if these have the added heatshrink on top.

https://ibb.co/Cn9VN3K

Edit: the pic isn't embedding for some reason, so here's the link and also the pic as an attachment

hipporu:
What exactly is bothering you?
I am using a Mogami 2931 from proaudiola, it is marked directly on the inner conductors 1 2 3 4, no heatshrink.
As pictured here:
https://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/4-m2931-xlrf-xlrm-2-s.htm

Gutbucket:
There is a section of heat-shrink covering the termination of the outer jacket - "over the cut" as it were.  There is not additional heat shrink completely covering the inner cables that extend out to the XLRs.

It's presence would make them stiffer and potentially can make them fold and wrinkle when coiled, at least with typical heat shrink.  There are more flexible versions of heat shrink, but typically when looking for additional protection one would use woven Techflex or its equivalent, with the ends secured by short sections of heat-shrink that also serve as strain-relief.

If you really need that or not is one question.  What was promised is another.

FWIW, my snakes don't use additional protection past the fan-out and I have no problem with them.

relefunt:
I’m afraid those are no good and you’ll have to give them to me.

SMsound:
I see---so if I were to take some new Mogami 2930 and remove the outer jacket, I would see the same two inner jacketed conductors marked "1" and "2" that I see on my cables pictured in the 1st post?

My order was for snakes made like the ones pictured below, but all black instead of black/red. The ones pictured here (which are Mogami 2930 like mine) have red/black heatshrink over the inner leads I think---can anyone confirm?

The cable builder mentioned on the phone that getting the extra-flexible heatshrink to lay down nicely w/no bubbles was the hardest part of the build since I needed a longer 18" fanback at the ends.

What's the consensus about the durability of the inner leads without heatshrink or techflex? These were ordered to be my "air travel/remote" cables...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version