Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Denon 2910 issues

(1/2) > >>

ts:
This used to be popular around here. Years ago. It was a great 2 channel universal audio playback machine. Still use mine, however lately it's hit or miss with CD's. Some load, some don't. Still plays DVDA and SACD fine.

audBall:
Is it hit or miss with both commercial CDs and burned CDRs, or are you noticing a preference towards commercial discs? If so, it could signal a degradation of CDRs. However, given the age of the unit and its ability to play the other types, it suggests the CD lens may have debris or buildup on it. The way the lens sit horizontally facing up basically acts as a collective trap for dust and debris over time. Can you open it to access the CD lens for a wipe/cleaning? This has worked for me in the past on other models, but it also signaled the near-end of the player's life, your mileage may vary, of course.

ts:
It will play commercial CD's occasionally. If the player sits dormant for a few days, it won't play any commercial CD's. If I run a few SACD's thru it, it will play some commercial CD's, but not all. It will play any CDR or DVDR of any age, no problem. Weird, I know. I sprayed some air in thru the open door and that didn't help. I really don't want to take it apart to get at the lens. Most of the forums say the cd lens needs to be replaced, not the SACD lens. I guess the SACD lens is playing the burned stuff? I'll replace the whole thing before I start messing around with a laser. It's pretty old.

Melanie:

--- Quote from: ts on October 24, 2021, 08:13:56 AM ---It will play commercial CD's occasionally. If the player sits dormant for a few days, it won't play any CD's. If I run a few SACD's thru it, it will play some commercial CD's, but not all. Weird, I know. I sprayed some air in thru the open door and that didn't help. I reeally don't want to take it apart to get at the lens. Most of the forums say the cd lens needs to be replaced. I'll replace it before I do that. It's pretty old.

--- End quote ---
I don't think you will be able to find that part, but good luck.

Chilly Brioschi:
Dried lubricant in the spindle drive chain or "laser rot" ?

Troubleshoot mechanicals first...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version