Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Back Up Your Stuff! 3 instances of every file makes me sleep better!

(1/12) > >>

morst:
Most backup strategies rely on three total instances of any file, such that when a drive fails, you don't have to run to your nearest outlet as soon as they open, to get a new empty drive, and immediately back up your remaining (fragile) version.

If you have a DVD or Blu-Ray data disc burned, or have saved the original SD card files intact, like some do, then that does count as three.
I hate to hear about folks losing precious files, and am overly cautious about risky scenarios.
If you share everything with others and could get it back if you needed it, I suppose that counts too.
Call me alarmist, but an oz of prevention ...

GLouie:
I tend to agree, and note that any media can fail or be lost at any time. For large amounts of data, hard drives are the only practical media for me, but people should realize they can fail at any time. In additional, I'm a believer in an off site copy as well; I keep a  large HDD copy of my home data at the office, and rotate the drive with one kept at home, along with the primary drives with my data. Cloud storage seems too expensive and slow for me, despite the cost of several large HDs. I dislike optical media now, nor leaving things on memory cards which seems inefficient to me, along with longevity questions.

Ask yourself at any time, what do I do if my primary computer died, the house burned down, a pipe bursts, etc. I was burglarized once, and they took my main computer at the time, a laptop. I had a clone of the drive at work, and was back in business a day later after merely buying a new computer, with only minimal loss of a few emails (POP) due to not cloning for a week. I have only had a few HDs fail, but it does happen. There are systems to automatically do backups, which could be great for most people.

nulldogmas:
Also agreed — I keep one local backup via Time Machine, and one cloud backup via Backblaze. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

voltronic:
I have long been a big fan of BD-R as part of a backup strategy. It is more long-term stable than HDD or other magnetic storage media as long as you use quality HTL media (not LTH) and store it carefully.

You can find a list of the different media types here:

https://blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/discmanuid-licenseelist.php

aaronji:
I have my recordings on my internal hard drives, in RAID on my NAS server, and backed up in a cloud storage system (iDrive). Sometimes I will back things up to my workstation at the office, as well (please don't tell the boss). A little paranoid, perhaps, but experience is a harsh master: when my son was about 6 or 8 months old, our hard drive crashed with all of the baby photos (including sonograms). My wife was crushed. Luckily, I had a colleague who was a real computer guru and he helped me recover everything. Learned my lesson, though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version