Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

clamps

(1/8) > >>

Brian Skalinder:
CLAMPS

IMO, no taper should ever be without a clamp.  I get just as much use out of my clamp as I do out of my stand, maybe more.  Here are some commonly used clamps:

Signal Flex MH-10 - this is the one I use and I think it's great (aka Windtech Multi-Position C-Type Clamp)
Rowi ENG
Rowi 76
Rowi 103
Bogen / Manfrotto SuperClamp
Sabrasom SMC
Guitar Center has some plastic clamps that'll work in a fix

or

Check your local musician's store - they often have cheapies and even some of the above on-hand.

tim in jersey:
another clamp that's great for clamping to a rail is the cardellini clamp. it's jaws open wider than any other clamp I've seen. a bit pricey but the thing is built like a tank.

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/2mmicmoun.html

Brian Skalinder:
Emailed a version of this off to a local taper recently and thought I'd add it here.  My full clamp setup:

I use a variety of clamping gear depending on the situation.  All in all, I use my clamping gear more often than my mic stand.  Here's what I use (almost all available at B&H Photo - www.bhphotovideo.com - best source I've found, though not always super cheap for little stuff like thread adapters):

Windtech Multi-Position "C" Clamp
Mfr # MPC10 | B&H # WIMPC10
I use this one for clamping to other tapers' stands.  Compact, lightweight, flexible with 2 different orientations for the mic thread stud.  I couldn't get by without one.  I have several, and always carry them with me.

Bogen SuperClamp
Mfr # 2900 | B&H # BO2900
This is the clamp I use for latching on to railings, posts, tables, chairs, shelves, pipes, ceiling beams, light fixtures...damn near anything other than a mic stand.  Bigger and heavier than the MPC above, uber-robust, wide jaws.  Comes with standard 1/4"-20 male threaded stud (see below).  For short rises or adjusting orientation (the stud mounts in only one orientation, unlike the MPC above), I use either the Heavy Duty Flex Arm  or Mini-Extension arm (see below).

Bogen SuperClamp Standard Stud (with 1/4"-20 male thread)
Mfr # 2908 | B&H # BO2908
Comes with the Bogen SuperClamp above.  Requires a 1/4"-20 female > 3/8"-16 thread adapter and a 3/8"-20 female > 5/8"-27 male thread adapter before using with standard 5/8"-27 female microphone / stereo bar threads.  See below for adapters.

Bogen Extension Arm for Mini Clamp (works with SuperClamp, too)
Mfr # 203 | B&H # BO203
Great for extending short distances from the SuperClamp, and for adjusting orientation.  I went without one for a looooong time, using only a (non-Bogen) gooseneck extension.  Now, I have both.  I think one or the other will suffice for most purposes.

Bogen Heavy-Duty Flex Arm
Mfr# 237HD | B&H# BO237HD
Basically just a robust gooseneck extension (like the kind available at a local musicians' store - which I originally used - but beefier).  Includes the appropriate bottom end needed to slot it into the SuperClamp.  The mic end of the extension has a 1/4"-20 male thread, just like the SuperClamp's standard stud above, so it, too, requires adapters in order to attach a standard 5/8"-27 mic thread.  I use this mainly with my Schoeps actives, not sure if it's beefy enough to run full-size mics & shockmounts.

Arca-Swiss Thread Adapter (1/4"-20 female > 3/8"-16 male )
Mfr # 809011 | B&H # ARB.2538
This isn't the exact one I bought, but I can't remember the manufacturer / model / retailer of mine.

Windtech Thread Adapter (3/8"-16 female > 5/8"-27 male)
Mfr # M3 | B&H # WIM3C
This isn't the exact one I bought, but I can't remember the manufacturer / model / shop of mine.

A.P.I.C. Custom 3-Section Extension Pole (28"-78", 5/8"-27 male/female threads on appropriate ends)
The piece de resistance.  I use this in conjunction with the SuperClamp all the time.  I use it regularly at at least half a dozen or so local venues to run my mics up/down/out/beside my clamping space in order to achieve a more optimal mic location.  Custom, though, so it's not cheap - ran me around $75 if I recall (had it for years).  Gets more use than my Bogen 3373 mic stand.  Bogen makes a couple extensions like this, but none as long, and I've found them difficult to track down online.  A.P.I.C's phone #:  201-261-2160.  They also make mic stands, but I prefer the Bogen mic stands.  If you order a custom extension from these guys, they'll want specs on number of sections, closed length, open length, and make sure you tell 'em you want 5/8"-27 adapters on each end - female on the bottom, male on the top.  I'm ordering a new 4-section extension soon, so I still get the ~80" of reach but can close it more compactly to fit on my motorcycle.  And I already have 3 people in line for my old one when I sell!

Alternative extension pole:

Bogen / Manfrotto 3-Section Extension Pole (35" - ~92")
Mfr# 099B | B&H# BO099B (thanks to macdaddy for the heads up that the previous referenced mode, 3019, was discontinued and replaced with this one)
Looks like it has a 5/8"-27 female thread on the bottom, according to the specs on B&H.  Has a combination 5/8" stud and 3/8"-16 male thread tip on the top.  Much less expensive than the custom APIC extension (by about half!).  Wish I could fit a 3' pole on my motorcycle more easily, I'd save myself a few bucks.

Chuck:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on March 04, 2006, 10:53:39 PM ---
Windtech Multi-Position "C" Clamp
Mfr # MPC10 | B&H # WIMPC10
I use this one for clamping to other tapers' stands.  Compact, lightweight, flexible with 2 different orientations for the mic thread stud.  I couldn't get by without one.  I have several, and always carry them with me.

--- End quote ---

When you lose or break the bumper piece that is on the end of the threaded part of this clamp, buy some of those screw-on plastic valve stem covers. I like using them better than the original piece that comes with the clamp. (Bean originally turned me on to this)

shaggy:

Yep, this is one clamp to have if you are looking for bang for your buck (and weight considerations).  I like the Manfrotto Superclamp alot....it is a piece of art but if you carry two (if you want all configuations you gotta have two) it is a back breaker.

If you can't see why you'd need two superclamps to do anything....look here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=29789.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version