Gear / Technical Help > TS Knowledge Base / Archive

You do have INSURANCE, don't you?

(1/3) > >>

Brian Skalinder:
Depending on how much you have invested in your gear, you may want to consider insurance (it's cheap!).  You may currently have a policy which covers your gear.  You may not.  Best to find out!

The most common forms of insurance for covering our precious recording gear (and DATs, and CDs, and home stereo equipment, and...well, you get the idea):

Home owners
Personal property
Renters

I have renters/personal property insurance with Travelers Insurance Co.  I have a $30,000 policy which covers replacement value, not depreciated value, with a $250 deductible.  Insuring for replacement value is key!  Costs me a whopping ~$100 a year.  BFD.

The policy covers my gear in my home.  It covers my gear on my motorcycle or in my car, in planes and trains, in a submarine, etc. - wherever my gear is, it's covered.  It also covers my home stereo/theater, all my media (not an insignificant amount of $$$!), everything I own except my vehicles proper.

Coverage includes natural disasters, fire, theft, etc.  Not sure if it covers someone frying all my gear at a show by spilling a beer into it, but I'm gonna check on that one.

wboswell:
Great idea Brian.  I'd like to throw a couple cents in on buying the extended repair warranty for your new gear.  I purchased a DA-P1 from Dave Bigham last year and he had purchased the Repair Master Extended Warranty.  I have had to send the unit in twice, for repair of the same problem.  There was a faulty on/off switch which wasn't repaired properly the first time I sent it in.  Both times I sent it to Prodigital, it got the clean and lube treatment, free!  It works perfectly now and hasn't cost me anything but shipping.  Definately worth the $100 bucks Dave paid :)

creekfreak:
just called my agent, going to be moving on this soon for my gear, my damn car is insured and is worth less than my taping gear :-X

mirth:
Yeah, for as much as people invest in their rigs its almost scary to think that some don't have any/adequate insurance!

I would assume a personal property or applicable insurance product would cover liquid simply because its a type of damage. Additionally, many extended warranties that exist cover liquid damage. I paid an additional $25 (renewable annually after its activated) for an extended warranty on my UA-5 from Musician's Friend simply for that reason.

Simp-Dawg:
+T for a great idea!!!  getting ready to call my insurance agent right now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version