Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

MBHO....what's the deal?

(1/3) > >>

busknuckle:
I don't see a lot of people digging on these mics. I'd like to know why. I'm seriously considering getting these. (the active set up)

These mics seem like they could work in the best of both worlds...in a stealth situation using the active cables or on a stand in a club. (I have yet to "open tape" in an outdoor setting...I don't rule it out but it doesn't happen often for me.)

I'd be mainly taping (god I hate these labels but I feel like I should put it)
indie rock
acoustic/clean/more mellowish
loud rock

I'm not a bass freak but I do want to capture some.

before rambling on too much more....all I really want is some opinions from USERS.

I limit this to users of the MBHO 603a/ka200 for one reason...

There are too many variables to simply judge a tape SOLEY on the mics used. If you've heard a shitty recording done with them it could have had SOME to do with the taper. That's why I want to get feedback mainly from those who have used them and/or are quite familiar with them.

One last note....until I could afford a pre (has to be a sax or psp-2/3) I will be powering the mics with a PS-2.

:help:

rabhan:
joe w runs then and make nice tapes...there is a dude selling his now, GB, he has made nice tapes with his....hrmmm....phishintime i think has them......just left the jerry joseph backyard jam (wooo, i am wasted) and he was there and he said that he really likes his tapes......whose been knockin them?

creekfreak:
I used them for while before upgrading to my schoeps. They are a very bright mic that produce outstanding highs. They are excellent when you can get up close, but I think tend to suffer some when you are stuck farther back. The active set up is very nice.

Brian Skalinder:
I used MBHO KA200/603A for a while with some different configs behind them:  Shure FP24 (SD MixPre), line transformers/modSBM-1, V2/modSBM-1.

I think the V2 helped fill things out a bit, and the modSBM-1 and FP24 warmed them up a bit.  I agree with Creekfreak - they're bright mics (which I happened to like) and are best run relatively near the sound source.

Farther back, they suffer a bit.  Never had a problem with high SPLs causing the mids to collapse as I've seen some folks note in the past.

All in all, I liked 'em a lot, I just wanted a change.  My name is Brian, and I am a gear slut...   :P

marc0789:
I ran them either 603a/200>mp-2>adc-20, >ad1000, or replaced the mp-2 with an eaa. They are nice and bright, with good high end detail, ok mids, poor to average lows, can be boomy up front for Panic, but then anything can. I have experienced the *collapse* of the mids with very high spl's. A very, very forgiving mic in terms of poor acoustics. If you HAVE to have the active setup, there's nothing else in this price range right now. Imo they sound like shit into a v2, they really benefit from the warmth of the mp-2 or eaa psp-2. Never pulled a bad tape, regardless of location. Just never a great one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version