Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

MBHO....what's the deal?

<< < (2/3) > >>

creekfreak:
I will also agree with Brian, the V2 into a modsbm-1 sounds very nice with the MBHO's

Joe w.:
well, i have only run them a few times but you wont find another active setup in this price range. They are a bright mic, which i prefer......And the bottom end could stand to be tighter....but i found it handles it pretty decent. I really like the KA200N > W mod UA-5 sound....really brings the sound up and out of the crowd....an up-front sound. I agree that the cards are poop when you move back from the source.....but that's why they make hypers! and the KA500N's (hypers) are some of the best hyper caps out there, IMO. I have yet to put my rig through the schools zone (wsp) so that will tell the tale.

DaryanLenz:
I think (my opinion)...is that they were overhyped originally as the schoeps replacement if you will, and quite simply, they just are not.  I think they lack the low end detail, have comparable mids (unless you count that collapse thing, but when I used them, they certainly never did such a thing), and sweet highs.  They are fantastic up close, producing some of the sweetest highs known to man!  Back farther, they lack prsence to me, which was my one and only complaint.  I wonder if the hyper caps would help this problem?  That said, if low pro is your thing, you can';t really come that close without forking over another 800 bucks to step up to the schoeps...which seems to be the natural progression these mics make (whether I agree with it or not is a different story ;)!)  All kidding aside, I think they are great mics, and for lowepro, really the only option unless you go up to the skm140's or active schoeps, which is a lot more money.  I liked em!
Oh yeah, if you think the v2->moidsbm combo sounds good, you should check out the mini-me as well!  I might be able to provide some wsp red rocks tapes next week done with mbho 200->v2->mini-me if you are interested from Eric Folske's rig using my mini-me!

Daryan
Daryan

Rick:
I ran MBHO ka200n/actives/603a > MP-2 > SBM-1 for a little bit and they were great. I really had no complaints, I just seemed to like the Neumann sound much more so I made the switch. If you like the Schoeps sound, but you can't afford them, then the MBHOs are a good alternative.

A guy I know ran CCM4s (FOB) at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, while I ran  603a/ka200n in the TS behind the board. After listening to both recordings I couldn't tell that much of a difference other then the low end. The CCM4s did have a nicer low end. but overall the highs, mids and vocal clarity sounded a like.

Rick

busknuckle:
thanks guys...+T to all :coolguy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version