Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Studio Projects LSD2, version 3

(1/6) > >>

Nick's Picks:
Picked up the "new" version of this fantastic club.  There has been some refinements, a new shockmount, a new layout to the POS stock cable (still the same, btw).

Internaly, there are supposed to be some upgrades to the parts in there to affect the sonics.  (this mic is BEGGING to be tweaked by someone who knows better than I do).
The cable now has "upper" and "lower" designation on the Y ends.  I'll test it to see if its accurate.
Pinout on the cable is the same, so custom cables will work for each rev of this mic.

the shockmount....Jury is still out on this.
It looks cool....and its built great on first inspection.  Sturdy aluminum construction.  There is a custom little right angled mount on the bottom, and this is the weak link.  It is held together by a single screw, a small one...and it bears the entire weight of the mic/mount.  Due to the setup and strain on this, it WILL FAIL.  absolutely.
On a good note, it looks cool.  Did I say that?  The mic actually screws into the shockmounts bottom piece and then slides through weave of elastics (ala Sabra).  The problem is that the elastics are too loose to hold it well and too tight to cross the bands for a tighter fit.  Unless the mic is 100% verticle , it will rest against the elastics/metal housing.
Booo!  It looked so cool.
It is modular, so you can unscrew the weak link knuckle and then screw the rest of the mount directly on a stand/clamp with its 3/8th" female ends.  Hopefully, these pictures will show what I've discussed.

thegreatgumbino:
Great pics, Nick.  I think if anyone is worried about strain on the joint it is best to unscrew it and run directly on your stand as shown in your last pic.  IMO, the mount is really nice.

Nick's Picks:
you dont find the top part basically useless?

thegreatgumbino:

--- Quote from: Nick's Picks on February 07, 2007, 09:19:49 AM ---you dont find the top part basically useless?

--- End quote ---

Not really.  I understand your point though.  But, when aren't you going to be running the mic vertical?  IME, it's worked fine.  Yes it could be better, but for the price of this setup & the corresponding quality & output, I think it's more than adequate.  My $0.02.

I think the mount is really better suited for running the LSD2 upside down vertically for vocals / instruments.  That's why the mic is made to screw into the mount now.  Then the top portion of the mount is really only absorbing impacts and not holding it in place. 

Nick's Picks:
yea, upside down it will be fine..unless yo have to tilt it.
the old mount worked better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version