Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If you currently use, or previously used, CD-Wave beyond the 31-day trial period, did you buy / register the software?

Yes, it's a small price to pay ($15) for such a useful app
20 (23.5%)
No, I'm a cheapskate
25 (29.4%)
No, I didn't realize its license required payment
26 (30.6%)
Now that I know its license requires payment, I'm buying my license now
9 (10.6%)
Who cares
5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: CD-Wave registration poll  (Read 12832 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
CD-Wave registration poll
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:04:47 PM »
Another thread piqued my interest about how many people have registered their versions of CD-Wave.  While I don't have high hopes for broad participation in the poll, remember:  this poll is anonymous, so please respond honestly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Wiggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
Re: CD-Wave registration poll
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
For the use I've gotten out of it, to kick in $15 was nothing. I've paid far more for much shittier apps.

While I'm thinking about good use, I've haven't put anything in the TS.com collection plate in a while.  :-\ I hope to remedy that soon.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »
I've got a question, but first:

I purchased my license for the software a long time ago. And yes, it is a great piece of software, still use it to cut tracks. Since then I've built a whole new computer and have reinstalled everything including CD Wave. BUT now it says that it isn't licensed. So my question is this: Should I pay again for a license I've already payed for? I still have my receipt of payment. What do you guys think?
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:31:02 PM »
the fifteen bucks was a pleasure considering how many tracks I've split with this great lil program..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »

I purchased my license for the software a long time ago. And yes, it is a great piece of software, still use it to cut tracks. Since then I've built a whole new computer and have reinstalled everything including CD Wave. BUT now it says that it isn't licensed. So my question is this: Should I pay again for a license I've already payed for? I still have my receipt of payment. What do you guys think?

Aren't you able to just input your serial-number again to re-register it?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »

From CDWave's FAQ
Registration
I lost my registered version, how can I get it back?

Donwload the shareware version of CD Wave, it won't expire or so. Contact me, and mention your name and city where you live (or lived, if you moved after registering). It may take a few weeks to process your request. You will receive a registration key.

Didn't realize the price had gone up to $15. Even at that it is a bargain and money well spent. Way back when (version 1.40 when I frst downloaded it) it was only $10. Wonder what it will run to upgrade once v2.0 arrives?

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 11:00:53 PM »
one of those things i keep meaning to do, but never get around to. it's in my never ending, things to do list. maybe it'll be $20 by the time i get to it,  but i will someday.

i know that sounds like a cop-out, but that's the best i can do atm.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
I wont lie, for years I never knew a license reg was required, but Im a cheapskate about programs and have never paid a dime for it......
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »
I wont lie, for years I never knew a license reg was required, but Im a cheapskate about programs and have never paid a dime for it......
Has it always needed licensing?  I honestly don't remember seeing anything about fees.  I'm in the same boat, I suppose.  I've gotten as much or more use out of the software than other apps.
Socks are overrated.

janka

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »
CDWav was a savior when I started using it in 98. It wasn't until 05 when I was still using it for everthing I tracked that I coughed up some money. Now I'm tracking 24bit and CDWav is still the way to go. Best $15 dollars I've ever spent on software, even better knowing it was voluntary after 7 years of 'trial' use.

Offline Carrera2

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »

Registering software is similar to buying in the Yard Sale.  A certain faith and integrity is propelled into the "universe" at both ends of the transaction, and we all attempt to do the right thing.  Sometimes, I sense that shareware is a bit easier to let slide......

We all must choose our integrity in the moment.

Not long ago, I told one of our sisters here on ts.com that she could consider a small item I sent to her as having been paid if she said or did something unexpectedly nice for someone that day.  She agreed. I trust that she did.

A chap who has written some great CareWare and freeware writes about it here: http://www.arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html and here: http://www.arachnoid.com/careware/index.html

I registered my copy of CD Wave.  I hope you will too.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:25:35 AM »
Has it always needed licensing?  I honestly don't remember seeing anything about fees.  I'm in the same boat, I suppose.  I've gotten as much or more use out of the software than other apps.

afaik, yes, it's always had the licensing request/requirement. I know it was there back in version 1.40 and assume it was in earlier versions. Just checked the internet archive and can not find any pages archived before version 1.92 so can't tell you when it was first included.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
Best $15 dollars I've ever spent on software, even better knowing it was voluntary after 7 years of 'trial' use.

I think this is part of the reason many people haven't purchased their CD-Wave license (and one of the reasons I started this thread):  misunderstanding of the license requirements.  Purchasing a license if using the program beyond the 31-day trial period is not voluntary - it's compulsory to satisfy the terms of the license.  The author simply chose not to implement software mechanisms (like crippling the software after 31-days, or providing a limited-functionality demo) to compel people to purchase the license.  Nonetheless, users are obligated to purchase the license if they continue to use the software beyond the trial period.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
how many have kicked-down for their BT software?

Depends on the software.  AFAICT, BitTorrent itself doesn't require payment, per the BitTorrent Open Source license.  A quick scan of the license reveals it does not preclude others from charging a fee for the software, so some re-packaged versions may require payment.  My version (1.6.1) of uTorrent states:

Thank you for using this FREE program.  I hope you like it.  If you paid for it, get a refund!
Roland R-05

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

I personally dont see how anyone can use a program beyond the "free" usage period and not pay for it.. it's fifteen dollars!   in one sentence you say you're not lying and didnt know the license registration was required, and then you say you're a cheapskate and won't pay for it anyway.  so what does it matter whether you knew you had to register it at all?   

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."   franklin
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com