Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100884 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
also, has anyone run tests with Lithiums? just curious if those would net 6-7 hours solid or more. ok, great thread, love this deck other than battery life.

Yes, over 11 hours with Energizer Ultimate Lithiums (deck set to alkaline).  Not what I'd like to do in general, but seems to be the safest option for one venue where I pretty much have to set the deck rolling during sound check and not access it again until the end of the night.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
New v1.02 firmware available:
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/downloads/

No release notes though. Anyone want to be the guinea pig?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
This may have been covered, but I just ran through the thread and didn't find a clue:

If you are essentially making TWO 24/96 recordings, how much recording time fits on a 4 GB card.
Yes, certainly I'd like a 16 GB card, but you know... what can you fit on a 4?

Thanks!

j
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
If you are essentially making TWO 24/96 recordings, how much recording time fits on a 4 GB card.

Half as much as a single stereo 24/96 recording, or a quarter as much as a single stereo 24/48 recording.   

A simple rule of thumb- stereo 24/48 recording = almost exactly 1GB of data per hour
So..
24/48 stereo = 1GB/hr
24/48 dual mode = 2GB/hr

24/96 stereo = 2GB/hr
24/96 dual mode = 4 GB/hr

Recording 24/48 in dual mode I end up with somewhere around 4-5Gb of recorded data for a typical two set show, so you'd need double that amount of space for 24/96. Remember that all memory cards hold somewhat less than their nominal size ratings.  My 32GB cards hold about 30GB of actual data, my 16GB cards hold about 15GB.

I don't use the 96kHz rate and have not tested dual mode at that setting.. you'll be moving and storing twice as much data so do a test and make sure your card is up to it without problems.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dain45yl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »
I wonder what that means for recording capacity?  How big of card does this thing accept?  Pretty cool feature if it's practical.

Offline expatCanuck

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
A couple things-

Got 5.5 hrs out of the same 2000 mAh precharged NiMHs I was getting 4.5 hours out of, even in my first try after the firmware update.  Maybe the batteries just needed a deep discharge, or maybe dual/-12 takes less battery juice than dual/line for some reason.

Also, my autosplits are now at 2.15 gigabytes (running 24/44.1).  ???
Greetings.  New to this board.

Will - I'm having a bit of trouble following the thread.

Can you advise *which* NiMHs you're getting 4-6 hours out of on the DR-2D, and what charger you're using?
And is it your feeling that the new firmware better handles slightly lower voltage?

Based primarily on the feature set and the sound samples (at AudioTranskription),
I suspect that I'll shortly be getting a DR-2D, less than stellar battery life nothwithstanding.

For me, it'll be for recording acoustic guitar/mando & vocal sessions with my musical colleagues,
nights out at the open mike, and the ability to overdub a harmony.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »
Can you advise *which* NiMHs you're getting 4-6 hours out of on the DR-2D, and what charger you're using?
And is it your feeling that the new firmware better handles slightly lower voltage?

I've been using 2000 mah "pre-charged" Duracell NiMHs and a LaCrosse charger.  2700 mah batteries would presumably do better, but not store as well.

On balance, it seems like I am getting better battery life since updating the firmware to 1.01, but it is odd that I didn't see a big increase until my second attempt with the new firmware.  I wish I had kept better records on exactly which battery (out of my 8 or so identically branded but not identical age/capacity remaining) I used in each test to be more definitive, but things were hectic at the time.  I have not yet installed 1.02.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:14:54 PM by Will_S »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
Couple things:
Be careful with what you put into the power jack.  I was working on an external battery option and accidentally applied 9v from a DVD battery without stepping it down first as was the plan. Recorder now will not power on and needs to be sent to Tascam for repair.

Got a replacement deck ASAP from B&H before last weekend's BearCreek fest along with a couple Trancend 32GB class 10 cards and an [edit] EverReady Energizer (XP8000) LiIon power pack which is about the same size as the recorder.  The power pack has outputs for 5VDC, 9-12VDC and 18VDC.  It includes 5V adapters that fit but stick straight out the side about 3" so I took a trip to Radio Shack and soldered up a stubby cable with a right angle adapta-plug.  If I had time to figure out another cable I could have powered both preamps from the same pack using its 9V port, but instead used a regular LiIon DVD battery for them.

Loaded the latest 1.02 firmware on the new recorder and tested with one of the new 32GB cards, recording 24/48 in dual mode overnight.  Filled the card with 30GB of data (15 hrs recording time) and only used one bar of four on the external battery.

I ran it 3 days at Bear Creek and probably could have gone the full weekend without re-charging, but topped off the battery once for a few hours (while simultaneously using it to power the deck, listening to some fresh recorded tracks at camp).  The 9V DVD batt powering the preamps had no problem going all weekend, only depleting one light.  Even with the two batteries the whole 4 channel rig still fit easily in a small shaving kit bag along with some gaffer tape, some uneeded extra AA's and other odds and ends.  The combination of massive storage space and battery power makes recording fests simpler, funner, better, faster, stronger..

[edit- I can't recommend running the CA-UGLY(s) off a DVD battery at this time.  Had power related distortion issues I did not notice until listening back to the recordings later.  I've gone back to using the excellent Powerex 9.6V batteries.  Now the higher capacity 230mAh low-self dischage Imedeon version]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:53:07 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
What were you using for mics and preamps?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
Four DPA 4060 into two Church Audio CA-UGLYs as part of a rather odd but effective DIY 4-channel surround recording contraption.  The ability to record 4 synced channels on a small recorder make the DR2d invaluable for this rig. I wish it could do 5.

Details on the mic array are here if interested in the details- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.msg1713305#msg1713305.  I plan to update that thread with the DR2d & powering info soon.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Four DPA 4060 into two Church Audio CA-UGLYs as part of a rather odd but effective DIY 4-channel surround recording contraption.  The ability to record 4 synced channels on a small recorder make the DR2d invaluable for this rig. I wish it could do 5.

Details on the mic array are here if interested in the details- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.msg1713305#msg1713305.  I plan to update that thread with the DR2d & powering info soon.

Very interesting set-up. I really like that mic array.

Is there any problem using the mic input of the DR-2d to record from a preamp? Any difference in quality from the line-in?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »
I'd prefer two lines-in.
Actually I'd like three. ;)

As expected, the mic-in is hotter, even on the 'low' setting.  Line-in @ 100 approximately = mic in (low) @ something like 67.  Although I haven't really done a head to head comp of the two, in general the sound seems pretty much the same although the mic in may saturate a bit differently when approaching 0dBfs, at least from the visual movement of the meters.  But I don't hear any difference at reasonable levels.

My main complaint is that the gains aren't gangable across both line and mic inputs, which would allow for a single gain adjustment in dual mode that would keep the relative levels between inputs the same.  As it is line-in level can only be adjusted seperately form mic in, and only when not in rec or rec/pause.  Still it's currently the only game in town for 4 (outboard mic) channels in a pocket.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
I'd prefer two lines-in.
Actually I'd like three. ;)

As expected, the mic-in is hotter, even on the 'low' setting.  Line-in @ 100 approximately = mic in (low) @ something like 67.  Although I haven't really done a head to head comp of the two, in general the sound seems pretty much the same although the mic in may saturate a bit differently when approaching 0dBfs, at least from the visual movement of the meters.  But I don't hear any difference at reasonable levels.

My main complaint is that the gains aren't gangable across both line and mic inputs, which would allow for a single gain adjustment in dual mode that would keep the relative levels between inputs the same.  As it is line-in level can only be adjusted seperately form mic in, and only when not in rec or rec/pause.  Still it's currently the only game in town for 4 (outboard mic) channels in a pocket.

Thanks for that info.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for fooling around with surround ambient recordings.

I might just go straight into the mic-in with one pair of mics (since the sound levels will be fairly tame), and use the preamp for the second pair going line-in.

Offline expatCanuck

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
New v1.02 firmware available:
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/downloads/

No release notes though. Anyone want to be the guinea pig?
Here's what Tascam said:

There won't be any release notes for this version.
It's simply a running change to correct a "Can't Save Date" message that appeared in a limited number of units.

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
For those using 16GB and 32GB cards, which ones are working well for you?
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com