Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Greetings... my new mic preamp.  (Read 93233 times)

Offline fivefishdiy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
Re: Greetings... my new mic preamp.
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
Okay... been busy this afternoon... :)   

... trying to rack a 1-channel SC-1 Solo version.... so if you want to imagine the 2-channel TS-2 version, well just double what you see here.

Designed the front and rear panels, setup hole dimensions and locations... then created the CNC Gcodes.

This is the front panel layout. You can see the holes for the brackets, gain, trim, switch and LED.

Before I can even mill the aluminum panel, I need to create a jig out of MDF. Then I drop the panel inside the pocket I created and screw it to the board.

If you want to see how my panels are milled, see this related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0xwIE4xdI

And this is the finished CNC-milled panel.

Just look at that XLR hole... it's perfect! :)

I told you the fit is perfecto-mundo! :)

[skip the boring stuff, screwing holes, etc...]

And here's the finished 1-channel preamp... powered by a Tekkeon battery.

Closeup shots of the back.

And here's another beauty shot...

That's all folks.

Next.... I'll try to finish the (2) channel prototype... but I need to wait first on the VU meter boards from the factory. I need to verify clearances on the switchboard PCB. If everything's good, we send out the switchboard PCB for manufacturing while we start design on the main motherboard.

SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2008, 11:15:40 PM »

Awesome stuff.  Love the progress, keep up the good work.  We really do appreciate it.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
my only other suggestion is some sort of locking switchraft power connector (ala v3), or a retainer clip for the power cable (ala minime)

Awesome stuff.  Love the progress, keep up the good work.  We really do appreciate it.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
my only other suggestion is some sort of locking switchraft power connector (ala v3), or a retainer clip for the power cable (ala minime)

Hey jerry, I do have the locking switchcraft jack. I just didn't use it for this prototype. (I don't have a corresponding power source to use with that jack.)
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

Hey jerry, I do have the locking switchcraft jack. I just didn't use it for this prototype. (I don't have a corresponding power source to use with that jack.)

FWIW, I've had great luck just using a hot melt glue gun and some gaffer's tape and putting at the point where the (right angle) power connector meets the wire.  I've done this on any rig I've used, Edirol UA5, R4, R09, and lots of other stuff.  More or less permanently attaches the plug.  Not elegant, but works with any gear.

By the way, will those locking connectors work with standard power supply connectors?  Are they like the ones on the Dmic20?  If so, putting a locking jack on the gear would satisfy all of us.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
Not sure what the Dmic20 looks like.... but the ones I got are the Switchcraft DC jacks 2.5mm with nut.

Yes, they work with plain-vanilla, normal DC jacks.

These are panel mount so it's easy to add it anytime, or even do it as a mod by the user.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:47:22 PM by fivefishdiy »

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
That's the stuff.
The Sound Devices MP-2 has that same jack/plug combo.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »

How about a four-pin XLR for power?
Cheap, bomber, and easy to get:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:22:16 PM by Paddle Surfer »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
I think that 4-pin XLR jack will be overkill. Since we only need 12V and a ground.  The locking Switchcraft DC jack does the job.

Now, if you're building a remote PSU that needs to supply +18, -18, +48 and GND... that 4-pin XLR jack is perfect. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
Not sure what the Dmic20 looks like.... but the ones I got are the Switchcraft DC jacks 2.5mm with nut.

Yes, they work with plain-vanilla, normal DC jacks.

These are panel mount so it's easy to add it anytime, or even do it as a mod by the user.

That Switchcraft DC jack is a good screw-on, locking connection, but the problem for our applications is that it is not available as a right angle connection.  That's the one used on the V3 which ends up sticking out the back farther than anything else and can end up crushing the power cable entry to the connector.  Again, not as big a problem if used on the side of the unit, but even on the side, many would prefer a connector that has a right angle option.  That's the only real advantage of the 4-pin xlr that I can see.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
might i suggest the poss of putting some of those black "U" on the back too
it would give people something to rest on instead of the cables when running upright

looks good
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »
I love this thread!

Thank you all.

Offline drpro

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
Actually right angle Switchcraft locking type connectors are available from Remote audio and nonlocking right angle are available from Mouser.

David

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »
might i suggest the poss of putting some of those black "U" on the back too
it would give people something to rest on instead of the cables when running upright

looks good

I tried the above suggestion.  Photo here:

You can also see the locking Switchcraft DC jack that I installed.

Re: the brackets at the back. I find that they interfere with right-angle XLR jacks. Not unless you turn the jacks so the cable come out of the top or bottom, instead of the side.

Plus, beside... if you use a right-angle XLR jack, the depth of the XLR jack already provides protection to the DC jack.

Now, if you use a straight XLR jack, the jack is longer than the brackets anyway so the brackets at the back are really of no practical use.

So I'm not sure if I'm going to go for that on the final product. Good suggestion though, and I did gave it a try... but I'm not fully convinced it's useful.

Added LED panel mount indicator for the front panel and replaced all bracket screws with Stainless steel ones. The PCB is also attached to the case with spacers and screwed to the bottom with recessed stainless head screws. This PCB ain't going anywhere... considering the fact it's also bolted to the front panel via the Gain and Trim pots screws.

It's solidly built.

Tekkeon Battery:
On a different matter, I've been playing with this Tekkeon Battery with the adjustable outputs and I find that they give a fairly good amount of RF interference.... I noticed this when I laid the battery on top of the input mic cables, with volume set at max and gain at max 72db. I can hear RF noise.  It's not noticeable though at lower gains, 60dB and below.

The RF noise is not there if I use a DC wall wart adapter or plain 9V battery. It's definitely coming from the Tekkeon battery pack.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
I noticed this when I laid the battery on top of the input mic cables, with volume set at max and gain at max 72db. I can hear RF noise.  It's not noticeable though at lower gains, 60dB and below.

Can you describe the noise?  A ticking or something with a regular period of repetition?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com