Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recharging US equipment in the Uk - help!  (Read 3280 times)

Offline HASHTHRASH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recharging US equipment in the Uk - help!
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:55:20 AM »
Hello everyone! 

I'm going to the UK in less than three weeks, to record an 8 show tour for 3 bands on audio and video.  Thats a lot of recording, so there will be a lot of recharging my equipment in the hotel room (I hope) every night.  I don't know anything really about this, but someone mentioned UK outlets running 230 volts vs 110/115v in the US. 

I know I need adapters to plug in, but would plugging into a wall with that much juice ruin any equipment?  I will be charging an M Audio MicroTrack, 4 Panasonic video camera batteries, and probably 4-6 Sony videocamera batteries.   We are bringing 2 Panasonic AG-DVX100As and 2 Sony DCR-HC40 handycams.  I shouldnt have to charge the cameras every night, but the MicroTrack I will for sure. 

Any help from you international tapers is appreciated!  Thanks!

- Dan

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Recharging US equipment in the Uk - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
Well you're not putting 230V into the Mictrotrack..it gets stepped down by the transformer thingy. Most transformers say what voltage / current they are rated at, whats on the back of yours?

(Wheres Stephen...)
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

sml42

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:07:32 AM »
Not just the voltage, but the frequency also: UK is 230V at 50Hz, compared to your 110V at 60Hz.

All your charging units (the thing you plug into the wall) should have a label saying what voltage they run at. Most chargers accept a wide range of voltage/frequency (typically it will say '110V-250V, 50-60Hz' in which case you're golden).

I travel the other way, UK->US, a lot. I usually carry: laptop (aging IBM thinkpad), jb3, ipod mini with wall charger, cellphone + wall charger. Electrically they all work just fine on both sides of the atlantic, of course you need to physically plug them in! I had to buy a second socket converter.

If you're planning on running several chargers together, bring a US mains strip (into which you plug the individual chargers) and just a single US->UK socket converter. (I used to travel with a UK mains strip, until I found I rarely needed to charge more than one device at a time... so I bought a second socket adapter instead, which is smaller and lighter).

Hope this helps!

best regards,
stephen

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 11:26:10 AM »
reading directly from the transformer that came with my microtrack:

INPUT: 100-240V -50/60Hz MAX 0.2A

I think you will be fine.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 09:38:42 AM »
you can buy your converter's before hand if you have a luggage store or similar
type place or even online I'm sure,but if you get stuck they have them in the
gift and duty free shops @ the airport in the international terminals.

chucky reassures me japan plugs are the same as US w/the exception of the ground
terminal so I need to get A US 3>2 for my stuff and i'll be good to go for new years :)
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

cmoorevt

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 11:52:09 AM »
If you're planning on running several chargers together, bring a US mains strip (into which you plug the individual chargers) and just a single US->UK socket converter.

Gotta second this idea.  I've never done this in the UK but in other parts of Europe I've found that a single socket converter + a regular US power strip works perfect.  Allows for the charging of multiple devices, but not the need for carrying multiple converters.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »
DO NOT rely on a travel store voltage converter for anything.  They are notorious for problems.  Read up on the rated voltages and frequecies on your wall warts.  Like others have said, most will accept 110-240v and 50-60hz.  If yours says it will, all you need is a plug socket adapter and you are golden.  I lived in England for 4 years and knew way too many people who fried electronics by using those luggage travel adapters. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline soomlos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:15:19 PM »
If you're planning on running several chargers together, bring a US mains strip (into which you plug the individual chargers) and just a single US->UK socket converter.

Gotta second this idea.  I've never done this in the UK but in other parts of Europe I've found that a single socket converter + a regular US power strip works perfect.  Allows for the charging of multiple devices, but not the need for carrying multiple converters.

I like the idea of using one socket converter with a US power strip, but before I do it I have one (maybe stupid) question... does the US power strip have to be rated to accept 230v/50Hz?

sml42

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:32:17 PM »
Very good question, and not something I thought of when I posted my original message.

In the interest of safety, I probably shouldn't go and recommend that now, should I? (Or at least, only recommend 230V rated gear... question to the US folk, what is a typical voltage rating of a typical power strip?)

best regards,
stephen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com