Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EAC experts, please step inside....  (Read 2335 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
EAC experts, please step inside....
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:26:05 AM »
I have a number of cdr discs that are causing me problems. My home decks will not play them, nor will either of my computer drives extract them without a number of “synch errors” and/or “timing errors”. The extracted files have a bunch of really awful glitches on them, sufficient to the number that they are not repairable files. However, I can take most of these discs to my work pc and extract them using eac to make a good wav file. A couple of them report “timing errors”, but the files are totally Ok to listen to, no problem areas that I can hear at all.....

so, are these new wav files good to be put on a new cdr? I could either burn them here at work or transfer them to a flash card, then take them home and burn them.

I went to the EAC faq and to any other pages I could find to research this, but have not had a lot of luck finding info. Really happy that I could get listenable files, but don’t know how to proceed to make sure they don’t go weird on me again......they are fairly irreplaceable discs....

Another quick question, does this sound like a good time to replace my home pc drives, reinstall EAC or?

ta

ildu

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: EAC experts, please step inside....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
Which EAC are you using?  EAC extracts so well because it has a good error checking routine.  This also causes it to take a long time to rip a bad CD.  Use the EAC Yahoo group to help with setting your parameters for ripping.  There are links from www.exactaudiocopy.org and instruction there for setting up, also.  If you use the automated "wizard" you will do just fine.

Try the EAC Yahoo group and www.hydrogenaudio.org for further help.

Happy ripping.
Nov schmoz kapop.

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »
thanks, I'll try the new version!

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:13:12 AM »
The arguements about the best release are a constant topic in the EAC users group.  Kind of like recording hardware here.  ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
it's working! a bunch of discs I thought were bad, are in fact, not bad! ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »
Definitely use the error-checking if it works.  But FWIW, I've had a couple badly scratched CDs in the past that even EAC with error-checking engaged wouldn't rip without audible artifacts.  When I switched to Burst mode (no error-checking), they either ripped fine (though sometimes it took several attempts) or included a few errors, to which I listened, that were inaudible.  YMMV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »
it they are really 'irreplaceable', encode it to flac, make an md5 for the fileset, and burn it to 2 separate HQ data CDs (TY is good for at least 10 years). also keep a fileset somewhere on your hard drive
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

ilduclo

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »
yeah, they're unique all right.  :-* I collect the weirdest stuff that you'll find, strictly strange......

thanks for all the help, looks like I do need a new burner, I can work with the other decks using EAC now, but the old HPee still screws up on maybe 1 out of 10....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com