Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NBox Users ~  (Read 10603 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
NBox Users ~
« on: May 26, 2005, 11:49:55 PM »
What kind of batteries do you use and how much run time do you get out of them?
(I was also curious as to how many NBox users we have here at TS.)
Thanks.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline robertd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: NBox Users ~
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:25:13 AM »
I use plain old Duracell or Energizer batteries.
I 'd like to move to a more earth friendly solution but all of the rechargables I've seen are expensive and low capacity.
does anyone use 9V lithiums?
how much are they and what kind of runtime do you get?

the longest I have run the box without swapping batteries was almost 5 hours straight at the Ropeadope New Music Seminar last fall.
I swap out the every show batteries after 4-5 hours and the every other show set every 9-10 hours.

Offline Josephine

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:59:10 AM »
I ran Energizer lithiums this weekend for the festival I attended. 
I can tell you, they're really expensive -- over five bucks a piece.
I only ran them for a few hours before switching them out, so I really can't say much about their run time.

I bought some rechargeables a little while back, but didn't have much luck with them; however, after reading in another thread about how new rechargeable batteries need to be cycled a few times, I'm thinking about giving them another try.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
I ran Energizer lithiums this weekend for the festival I attended.
I can tell you, they're really expensive -- over five bucks a piece.
I only ran them for a few hours before switching them out, so I really can't say much about their run time.

I bought some rechargeables a little while back, but didn't have much luck with them; however, after reading in another thread about how new rechargeable batteries need to be cycled a few times, I'm thinking about giving them another try.

except that you shouldn't use rechargeable 9vs! there has been a bunch of posts about this in the last month or two. :)

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:41:05 AM »
Although I don't have much to add here, I'd thought I chime is as an nbox "user" myself. As recommended, I do swap out the one pair of 9 volt every show and the second pair every other show. I don't push the batteries that much as most shows I tape are under the two hour mark and I have an endless work supply of nine volt batteries and a use for used batteries in other devices. Until we hear of a reliable nine volt rechargeable I would suggest sticking to the alkaline's. If we can all afford an nbox and a schoeps system, then we can surely afford a couple bucks in batteries for every show and learn how to save the planet in other ways. ;)
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 11:56:11 AM »
If we can all afford an nbox and a schoeps system, then we can surely afford a couple bucks in batteries for every show and learn how to save the planet in other ways. ;)
dB-

I just used similar rationale the other day - "If I can afford to lay down over 4k in mics in the last month, I can afford..."

+T
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
I do swap out the one pair of 9 volt every show and the second pair every other show.

I swap out the every show batteries after 4-5 hours and the every other show set every 9-10 hours.

Am I reading this right? Does the NBox take 4 9 volts?

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 01:12:43 PM »
I do swap out the one pair of 9 volt every show and the second pair every other show.

Yes, But what I did was move the "change every show" batteries to the "change every other show" part and replaced the "change every show" with new ones, so it really was only adding two batteries at one time... Same as the Sax

makes sense?  :-\
Retired Taper

Offline Josephine

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 02:45:14 AM »

Yes, But what I did was move the "change every show" batteries to the "change every other show" part and replaced the "change every show" with new ones, so it really was only adding two batteries at one time... Same as the Sax

makes sense?  :-\

Since reading this post, I've been using this approach -- moving the "change every show" batts to the "every other show."  I've probably recorded a dozen or so shows this way and everything has gone great.  Great tip, Rick.  Thanks ~ :)

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 01:36:59 PM »
Have any of you tried to switch the 9V from one set of connectors to the other?  I run them fresh for about 3.5 to 4hrs.  Then I switch the batts from one side to the other.  One of your battery connectors on the Nbox is for the phantom power and the other is for the pre amp functions.  The phantom side uses very little juice when switched you will notice another 3.5 to 4hrs. of usage for a total of up to 8 hrs on Duracell Ultras.   

dd

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 10:56:28 PM »
it is actually different because I use 4 batteries for 8 hours, not 6 batteries. :)

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:16:27 AM »
i think he means something like

original setup:
battery 1 battery 3
battery 2 battery 4

switching to:
battery 2 battery 3
battery 1 battery 4

as opposed to switching to:
battery 3 battery 1
battery 4 battery 2
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:03:57 AM »
No, no, no... I think he means:

Pre / Phantom    4 hours >   Pre / Phantom   4 more hours >  Toss the batteries away!
 1  / 3                                3   /  1
 2  / 4                                4   /  2

Offline Josephine

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 01:13:36 AM »
Before each show, I toss two batteries, move two batteries, then add two new batteries.  I'm only adding two new batteries per taping session.  In other words, I'm using four batteries for up to eight hours' taping time.   You guys all make it sound so complicated. ;)

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 03:15:33 AM »
No, no, no... I think he means:

Pre / Phantom    4 hours >   Pre / Phantom   4 more hours >  Toss the batteries away!
 1  / 3                                3   /  1
 2  / 4                                4   /  2

perhaps...that could really hurt you though if you go long the show before with the switch every show'ers
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com