Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 115084 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
To follow up with Jeff Townes' review of the Mk3, I'm rather shocked at the monitoring issue he reports (single mic tracking to one track = mono monitor output to one channel only). It's surprising given the monitoring flexibility on the Dr60, 70, 701, etc. And we haven't even started with M/S monitoring (although according to the manual, the relevant options are available).

I thing I'll stick to my D100 (and save up for a USBPre2).

(Btw, this was my first post on TS - Hi, everybody.)

There was also an update re mono recording in Jeff Towne's review:

"UPDATE! Another helpful reader asked if there was a downside to using “MONO-MIX” (set in the FILETYPE menu) when recording with only one microphone. This mode combines the left and right channels into a mono file, and routes sound from each input equally to both channels of the headphones.  In theory, this is bad practice: recording an “empty” track into the mono mix file can add noise. This used to be a real problem on some older recorders.   But in practice, on the DR-100mkIII, any noise created by the unused channel is so low that it’s inconsequential, so using mono-mix mode when recording with one mic is a viable workaround.  Just to be safe, I’d recommend turning the input gain down on the unused channel, the new Input level switch makes that easy to do."
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline flatbroker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
I love the m/s monitoring. The metering is good.
New member with a brand new dr100 mkiii.  My intent was to use the line in to record raw M/S array from a sd302 and monitor as decoded stereo through the dr100 mkiii.  I can'tell get M/S decoding function to work as it should.  It does not work at all if it is selected and set up through the menu system.  It will work as a function if you change either the mid or side level and remain in the function window.  As soon as you exit the function window to monitor recording levels the unit reverts to monitoring the undecoded raw inputs.  It sounds like you have it working.  What am I doing wrong?  My unit arrived with firmware version 1.01, so it is up to date.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »
New member with a brand new dr100 mkiii.  My intent was to use the line in to record raw M/S array from a sd302 and monitor as decoded stereo through the dr100 mkiii.  I can'tell get M/S decoding function to work as it should.  It does not work at all if it is selected and set up through the menu system.  It will work as a function if you change either the mid or side level and remain in the function window.  As soon as you exit the function window to monitor recording levels the unit reverts to monitoring the undecoded raw inputs.  It sounds like you have it working.  What am I doing wrong?  My unit arrived with firmware version 1.01, so it is up to date.
Hello- When you select ms decode in the menu or function menu by pressing the enter button you should be at the top of the ms decode page where it says mode. Press the enter button again and you will have three selections: off, rec and monitor. You can scroll among the three selections by using the scroll wheel. Select rec and press the enter button if you want to record the decoded stereo signal. Select monitor and press the enter button if you want to record the ms signal but want to monitor the decoded stereo signal. You can widen or narrow the recorded or monitored decoded stereo signal by adjusting the mid and side gains below the mode selector.
    Having used this recorder several times now and having owned a multitude of recorders for the past 38 years I can say that this is the best sounding full functioned reasonably priced handheld all in one stereo recorder that I have come across. It is so nice not to have to lug around additional preamps, a/d convertors, batteries etc. I recorded a four hour show the other night using 48v phantom and still had juice left on the built in battery.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:17:35 PM by mepaca »

Offline flatbroker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »
Hello- When you select ms decode in the menu or function menu by pressing the enter button you should be at the top of the ms decode page where it says mode. Press the enter button again and you will have three selections: off, rec and monitor. You can scroll among the three selections by using the scroll wheel. Select rec and press the enter button if you want to record the decoded stereo signal. Select monitor and press the enter button if you want to record the ms signal but want to monitor the decoded stereo signal. You can widen or narrow the recorded or monitored decoded stereo signal by adjusting the mid and side gains below the mode selector.
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.  Mine is set (from the menu) to monitor the decoded signal, but it doesn't work.  I can clearly hear the mid mic on the left channel and the side mic on the right.  I can enter the function menu while recording and select monitor m/s and it still doesn't work unless I select and change the gain level of the mid or side channel.  As soon as I change either of them the signal is decoded, but upon exiting the function menu the monitored sound returns to mid mic on the left and side mic on the right.  Maybe my unit is messed up, since it sounds like you aren't having this issue.

Offline flatbroker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:36 AM »
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.  Mine is set (from the menu) to monitor the decoded signal, but it doesn't work.  I can clearly hear the mid mic on the left channel and the side mic on the right.  I can enter the function menu while recording and select monitor m/s and it still doesn't work unless I select and change the gain level of the mid or side channel.  As soon as I change either of them the signal is decoded, but upon exiting the function menu the monitored sound returns to mid mic on the left and side mic on the right.  Maybe my unit is messed up, since it sounds like you aren't having this issue.
I just figured it out what my problem is.  It only works with input set to mic.  It does not work with input set to line.  Hopefully Tascam will add m/s decoding for line inputs in a firmware update.  Thanks for your help.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »
Having used this recorder several times now and having owned a multitude of recorders for the past 38 years I can say that this is the best sounding full functioned reasonably priced handheld all in one stereo recorder that I have come across. It is so nice not to have to lug around additional preamps, a/d convertors, batteries etc. I recorded a four hour show the other night using 48v phantom and still had juice left on the built in battery.

Would you say it is in the same league as a Marantz or a Sound Devices or even a DR680?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »
Would you say it is in the same league as a Marantz or a Sound Devices or even a DR680?
[/quote]
I have never had the Marantz but I recently sold My DR-680mkII after I bought the Zoom F8 and yes it easily is in that league. I also have
a mixpre  and a usbpre2. I would sell the mixpre but they sell for so little these days. I certainly don't feel the need to use the mixpre in
front of the DR-100 mkII. I am also toying with the idea of selling the usbpre2 but I like the idea of making two identical recordings using
digi coax out to the Tascam and optical out to my Sony D50. The usbpre2 can also be used as an interface. It really is a fine box. If I didn't
already own the usbpre2 I wouldn't run out and buy one just to put in front of the Tascam.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:21:55 AM by mepaca »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
I have never had the Marantz but I recently sold My DR-680mkII after I bought the Zoom F8 and yes it easily is in that league. I also have
a mixpre  and a usbpre2. I would sell the mixpre but they sell for so little these days. I certainly don't feel the need to use the mixpre in
front of the DR-100 mkII. I am also toying with the idea of selling the usbpre2 but I like the idea of making two identical recordings using
digi coax out to the Tascam and optical out to my Sony D50. The usbpre2 can also be used as an interface. It really is a fine box. If I didn't
already own the usbpre2 I wouldn't run out and buy one just to put in front of the Tascam.

Thanks for that assessment. There has been so little written about the DR-100mkIII (I assume that when you wrote "mkII" in your reply it was a typo).

How does it compare to your F8?

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
 Typo indeed. Sorry. It is DR100mkiii. Love the F8. The pres are also squeaky clean. I am actually using it as a back up Wednesday and Thursday nights for a paid multi track recording. I'll be coming out of a true systems 8 channel preamp. This preamp has two sets of outputs for each channel.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:27:17 PM by mepaca »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »
Typo indeed. Sorry. It is DR100mkiii. Love the F8. The pres are also squeaky clean. I am actually using it as a back up Wednesday and Thursday nights for a paid multi track recording. I'll be coming out of a true systems 8 channel preamp. This preamp has two sets of outputs for each channel.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a comparison.

Did you mean that the pres on the DR100mkiii are as squeaky clean as the F8?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:55:16 PM by dogmusic »

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »

Sounds like a great opportunity for a comparison.

Did you mean that the pres on the DR100mkiii are as squeaky clean as the F8?
They're clean. I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison nor am I that concerned. Every so often I get to work
with a classical guitarist in a good hall. Maybe I'll try then.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:25:33 AM by mepaca »

Offline KenP

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
I bought a Tascam DR 100 Mk 3 for £306 a week ago and have just noticed it is now £401 from the same store.

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »
I bought a Tascam DR 100 Mk 3 for £306 a week ago and have just noticed it is now £401 from the same store.

Perhaps you can thank your Brexit for that.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »

Perhaps you can thank your Brexit for that.

Brexit or not, it's still £306.00 here [no affiliation]:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/tascam-dr-100mkiii-professional-handheld-recorder-24bit-192khz-dual-recording-4x-built-in-hq-condens

Soon they'll be blaming the weather on Brexit.

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Soon they'll be blaming the weather on Brexit.

After Brexit the value of the pound sterling declined against other currencies. This means that all goods coming into the UK will now be more expensive. The price of portable recorders, none of which are made in the UK, will all go up. However, some dealers will still have stock purchased before the currency devaluation. Some dealers will sell them as before, while others might hike the price for extra profit. This is why prices will be different at different dealers. (Besides all the other factors.)

I wouldn't think I'd have to explain such basic matters here. Brexit does indeed negatively effect the UK economy and the price of good. Sorry, but it has nothing to do with the weather.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com