Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 109015 times)

Offline florian.ardelean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My studio's website
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post. I'm a film sound designer based in Eastern Europe and I've been looking into the TASCam DR-680 for more than 3 years now, but all this time I focused on investing in my sound studio. For 2015 I need to get a portable work-horse, a reliable, versatile 12 channel quiet, clean, detailed recorder capable of recording at least 12 tracks, and also 2 tracks in 192Khz for SFX work, and I'm pretty set on buying two DR680's.

So for the last couple of months I've been reading all I can find about it, watching  reviews and videos of comparison tests.

I've read all 2138 posts in this looong thread - feels like a novella :)

However there are still some things which are not clear to me, so I will make a short resume of what I don't understand clearly, while also writing down what I feel is important for me to learn about this recorder.

It will be a long thread I guess and I hope somebody else also benefits from it.

Major issues with these devices are reported to be:

A. File loss/corruption when decks loses power while recording, problem aggravated by not using a supported SD card freshly formatted in the unit itself.

B. Badly designed power source, in more than one way:

B1 Improper voltage regulators, no fuse for over-voltage leading to bricked units with some voltage auto-sensing batteries.

B2 Dual-powering system glitchy, sometimes switching from external battery to internal AA's even if those are almost drained, also leaving the "AC in" icon turned on on the display.

B3 Bad design leading to serious overheating of the power source (lower back side of the unit?) causing random glitches when used with Phantom Power ON in heat (random popping sounds on recording, cyclical volume pumping, channels disappearing, decks freezing) especially if set in a bag (even the recommended CS680). This was reported only with 9V "DVD" external battery as far as I know.

C. With some microphones, the DR680 is reported to have unacceptable amounts of preamp noise (+12dB) when the phantom power is set to ON, there is even a mod indicating how to get rid of this problem - apparently the filtering capacitor of 0.5 uf (2x1uF in series) used to filter the phantom power just at the node before the feeding resistors of 2x3.3 kOhms is much too low to eliminate the audio noise
generated by the internal 48 V converter, so replacing those capacitors is needed for a 12 dB preamp noise improvement with certain mics.

D. Susceptible to electromagnetical interference, some users reported hearing high frequency pop-like spikes overlapping on the recording when certain batteries were close to (not even plugged in) the recorder.

E. "The only unresolvable problem in the DR680, also shared by the DR60 and all other lower priced Tascam recorders, is that the limiter is not in the first stage, as it should be" - quoting
Carlos E. Martinez,  Reply #215

F. Badly designed speaker - hissy, impossible to turn off except with a jack plugged in the auto-sensing Headphone-out jack

G. Badly designed headphone amp - very noisy, digital volume control unresponsive, lags behind and sounds like a zipper file, without zero-crossing detection

H. TRS Jacks 5/6 can cause popping on recording (one unit here had such a problem, was fixed with a contact cleaner called Progold)

I. The level indicators are weird - showing "0" where "-2dB" actually is. Also they don't show the actual value in dB. and only have a single reference point.

J. The unit will drain internal AA-sized batteries even when powered down, which could lead to batteries leaking if forgotten in the recorder for an extended period of time. However, there appear to be two ways of powering down the device: a stand-by mode presumably entered by pressing the power button once, and a turn-off mode which implies pressing and holding the power button for three seconds, waiting for the unit to shut down, and then engaging the lock switch. If properly powered down, the internal batteries should not drain.

K. Support with TASCAM is pretty bad, they apparently want to have 3 tries at repairing the unit before replacing, which could mean up to two months for somebody in the states, but a lot more for someone like me, living in Eastern Europe.

Except for a certain mr. Chang, there's nobody at TASCAM who's willing and knowledgeable to help with troubleshooting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before ending, I'd like to say that I know many people have a love-hate relationship to the 680.

Perhaps some people who spent 4000$ on a Sound Devices unit think they have the right to say the 680 is not a reliable machine, but I don't think it's fair. In comparison to the SD, yes, they may have a point, but this is mostly to the fact that the TASCAM is not as fool-proof as the SD is. Yes, I meant fool-proof. Film recording mixers who work 16 or 18 hour days recording take after take in freezing cold/blistering heat/God knows what weird conditions will know what I mean - even the best professionals are prone to errors, especially when tired, and SD have designed and built their products with such situations in mind. Their price reflects this. However, I have witnessed cases of SD 744, 788 and even the new 664 freezing and needing reboots. No system is perfect.

Keeping this in mind, there was a list compiled here on this thread with good and bad 680's, and also stating the malfunctions and the apparent causes. I don't think the list has much importance, because the world of tapers is very small in comparison to the hundreds (thousands?) of units produced and sold, and also people who have working units don't tend to google forums and praise their units, but in comparison, the people whose units malfunction (including due to operator error!) google forums and rant about how bad these units are and how crappy Tascam is.

I've never seen a driver who drove a red light and crashed blame the car manufacturer though.

Hope I didn't bore you.

And Happy Holidays :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:41:42 AM by florian.ardelean »
Recorders: SD 744T Tascam HDP2 Sony D50 Olympus LS100 Zoom H2 Tascam IM2
Mixers: SD 422 SD 302 Mackie VLZ4
Microphones: Rode NT2A x 2 - Sanken CS1 - Senn MKH415T x 2 - Senn MKH40 - AKG D190 - Sennheiser MKE-2-Gold - Sennheiser MKE 40 - Audio Technica CC417
Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 x 2 - KRK KNS 8400 x 2 - Beyer 880 - Senn HD 590 - Senn HD201
Headphone amps: Sound Devices HX3 - Presonus HP4
Studio: Protools 9 HD2x2 - Digidesign C24 - Tascam 1804 - Mbox Mini 2 - Macbook with Reaper
Monitoring: JBL 4675Cx3, JBL 8340Ax2, Behringer B2030Px3
Subwoofers: Altec Lansing LFx3, JBL 18', Dynaudio BM14s
Macpro 1.1, MBP 13 2011, HP xw8600 x 2
Storage: Facilis Terrablock 24D

Offline florian.ardelean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My studio's website
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2015, 05:43:25 AM »

Some questions for the owners of DR680:

1. Cascade function. From what I gather, a SPDIF cable between two units will synchronize the transport of the slave unit to the master unit, by recording the mix of the master DR680 on ch 7/8 on the slave unit. Is it possible to cascade 4 units like this, in order to get 6x4 analog ins?

2. If I understood correctly from what I read on this forum, cascading using SPDIF cable will NOT also synchronize the internal clocks of the units. Is this true?

Does it need a "band-aid" in order to achieve a synchronized recording? I understand that I need an ADC with AES/SPDIF out which will slave to the external AES/SPDIF of the Master DR680, correct? I have read that somebody here uses a SD Usbpre2 for this, but then in such a case, the master unit will not control the REC START of the slave unit, correct?

3. What's the cheapest and most reliable way of syncing two recorders while ALSO using the extra digital in on both units? The SD USBpre2 is expensive.

4. Did anyone here ever do a comparison between a stock DR680 and a Busman modified DR680? This question has been lurking around the forums for 4 years now and nobody answered it. Such a comparison would be useful for me in quiet recordings with sensitive mics (e.g. Rode NT-1A)

5. What is the quietest way of powering this unit? Single power source, internal  AA's 1.5V? Internal NI-MH 1.2 Eneloops? Just AC adapter? Just 12 V LiIon battery? Or dual power-both AA's and 12V li-ion?

External battery is pretty problematic (manual states use AC adapter only), support guys say use 12v only, there was a post back somewhere which stated 8-13V, 600mah minimum, I know many people use 9V "DVD" batteries, and I also know that some batteries cause electromagnetic interference.

Due to its low price, it's not set in a cast aluminum body and is not properly insulated from EM interference. I understand that and can work around it.

I know such sources of noise are not an issue for taping live shows but I sometimes need to record and layer quiet sounds, sort of like the ticking of a hand-watch, or soft gentle brushes on hair, so any preamp noise must be minimal, because it really adds up if there are 3 or 4 layers of such sounds.
Recorders: SD 744T Tascam HDP2 Sony D50 Olympus LS100 Zoom H2 Tascam IM2
Mixers: SD 422 SD 302 Mackie VLZ4
Microphones: Rode NT2A x 2 - Sanken CS1 - Senn MKH415T x 2 - Senn MKH40 - AKG D190 - Sennheiser MKE-2-Gold - Sennheiser MKE 40 - Audio Technica CC417
Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 x 2 - KRK KNS 8400 x 2 - Beyer 880 - Senn HD 590 - Senn HD201
Headphone amps: Sound Devices HX3 - Presonus HP4
Studio: Protools 9 HD2x2 - Digidesign C24 - Tascam 1804 - Mbox Mini 2 - Macbook with Reaper
Monitoring: JBL 4675Cx3, JBL 8340Ax2, Behringer B2030Px3
Subwoofers: Altec Lansing LFx3, JBL 18', Dynaudio BM14s
Macpro 1.1, MBP 13 2011, HP xw8600 x 2
Storage: Facilis Terrablock 24D

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
Checking in on thread. Just bought a refurb unit from retail section. I'm sure I will have some questions upon receipt of this unit. I've gone through all 6 threads in anticipation but I'm sure something will perplex me when it is in hand.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
One question of of the top of my head, is can you run CA-14/UBB into the DR 680? If so how? Do you need PFAs or will the UBB be enough to power the mics? I would assume that the CA-14/UBB would just need a mini > XLR adapter, I could be wrong on the difference in voltages though.
Would I need the same type of adapter cable to run my tinybox> DR680?
Thanks for any help.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
One question of of the top of my head, is can you run CA-14/UBB into the DR 680? If so how? Do you need PFAs or will the UBB be enough to power the mics? I would assume that the CA-14/UBB would just need a mini > XLR adapter, I could be wrong on the difference in voltages though.

When running my CA-14/9200 > DR680, I use a mini (out of the 9200, assume UBB would be no different) > 1/4' dual cable into two channels on the 680, set at line in/low/phanton off. works fine.
Usually start off with Rec Trim for those channels at 0, and adjust with 9200 gain. Small adjustments then made with 680 Trim as neccesary on the fly.

edit to add - I just realized your posting about the UBB, which provides no gain. But it does power the mics.  Use the Rec Trim to add gain. You might experiment with channel gain (low/high) on the top of the 680. You may have to add gain in post. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:45:01 PM by danny3 »

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
That is the good news I wanted to hear, thank you!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post.
I've read all 2138 posts in this looong thread - feels like a novella :)

:)

Sir, you have my respect. 

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Can someone clarify for me if a Tekkeon 3450i will work to power the 680 if the dip switches on the back are set for 12v?
I have Lenmar 9v DVD batteries, Tekkeon 3750, Tekkeon 3450i, Tekkeon extended battery pack, and a slew of Tekkeonn 3300s. I would assume I could use any of these set to 12v but I want to make sure before I connect a battery to this unit when it arrives this weekend.
TIA!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »
I run my 680 on 12V. Never tried to run it on 9V.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
Checking in on thread. Just bought a refurb unit from retail section. 

well I guess there is one thread I no longer have to re-find (as it was tempting...)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »
9V DVD batteries work (what I use).  12V is optimal, but if the battery-pack is capable of multiple voltage outputs and 'autoselects' which voltage is used, double check that it hasn't been reported to have caused issues.  Batteries that have selectable output voltage which is manually switched or uses a dedicated 'hard-wired' output for 12V are safer.  A straight 12VDC battery without regulation is safe.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline barrettphisher

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
I know it was mentioned before, but can I run re-chargeable batteries inside the unit and also plug a DVD battery at the same time without any worries?  Thanks!
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
Yep.  Always a good idea to keep internals in when using an external battery in case the connection somehow gets interrupted.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Hey Barrett welcome to the multitrack fold!
Beware the internals do not last much beyond a set or so..
(No TBF for me this year. Time an budget is going to renos...)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Yep.  The recorder will switch to the internal AA's if the external battery gets dies, if the connection is intermittent or gets disconnected, or while swapping external batteries.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com