Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 109007 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #345 on: January 30, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
It's plainly obvious that Tascam has made some upgrades to the mkii to get more life of out their existing production line tooling which means more net profit.

Timecode is something that also interests me, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about it.  My GH3 has internal timecode, but there's no input to eternally sync it.   

Because of the upgrades to what kind of cards the mkii will accept, I'm wondering if you can use a mkii with an original 680 or if you can only link two of the same model?

edit:  now seeing the mkii at B&H for $599 preorder.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:37:36 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:21 AM »
Apparently didn't get a notification about new posts...

C. With some microphones, the DR680 is reported to have unacceptable amounts of preamp noise (+12dB) when the phantom power is set to ON, there is even a mod indicating how to get rid of this problem - apparently the filtering capacitor of 0.5 uf (2x1uF in series) used to filter the phantom power just at the node before the feeding resistors of 2x3.3 kOhms is much too low to eliminate the audio noise
generated by the internal 48 V converter, so replacing those capacitors is needed for a 12 dB preamp noise improvement with certain mics.

Can't say I've ever noticed a problem. When first turning phantom on there's sometimes some noise for a few seconds, but I've never had any sustained noise past that.

F. Badly designed speaker - hissy, impossible to turn off except with a jack plugged in the auto-sensing Headphone-out jack

You can just turn the volume down.

G. Badly designed headphone amp - very noisy, digital volume control unresponsive, lags behind and sounds like a zipper file, without zero-crossing detection

It could be better, but it works.

H. TRS Jacks 5/6 can cause popping on recording (one unit here had such a problem, was fixed with a contact cleaner called Progold)

I did have an issue once where there was a problem with contact and phantom and/or the mic signal was getting interrupted. Since then, I've made sure to move the plugs in and out and around a bit before recording to prevent any such issues.

K. Support with TASCAM is pretty bad, they apparently want to have 3 tries at repairing the unit before replacing, which could mean up to two months for somebody in the states, but a lot more for someone like me, living in Eastern Europe.

Some people have certainly had issues, but (fingers crossed), I've been using mine a few months short of 2 years, and haven't run into a problem yet. AC power, a few different brands of SD cards (none listed in the approved media list AFAIK), combination of line-in and mic (both dynamic and electret). The biggest issue I've had is running digital in on 7&8 can be confusing. It works fine, it's just easy to do something wrong.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
"...it's just easy to do something wrong."  Agree.  Otherwise, there wouldn't have been so many prior posts asking the question "how do I ?" of one kind and another.  Although Tascam has apparently addressed some of the physical issues with the unit, it is not the easiest recorder to use, IMO.  That's why mine sits unused so much.  You can't expect to just start recording without studying the thing. 

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
"...it's just easy to do something wrong."  Agree.  Otherwise, there wouldn't have been so many prior posts asking the question "how do I ?" of one kind and another.  Although Tascam has apparently addressed some of the physical issues with the unit, it is not the easiest recorder to use, IMO.  That's why mine sits unused so much.  You can't expect to just start recording without studying the thing.

Well, I agree for using the digital input. But I thought it was pretty straightforward using the analog inputs.

It will be interesting to see how the preamp setup compares with the MKII. As I previously noted, if you're recording relatively low level stuff like acoustic instruments, especially with dynamic mics, setting the gain switch to LOW and turning up the gain results in significantly more noise than setting the switch to HIGH and turning down the gain. Not a big deal once you are aware of the issue, but it doesn't seem like the best design.

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
Somebody asked about op-amps on the mkII. 
The mkII uses a better sounding op-amp compared to the mkI.   (BA2115 instead of BA4580)
Only the DR-70D has the NE5532 op-amp.

I thought I mentioned this before, but the Headphone knob is improved on the mkII as well - better taper and finer control.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
The mkII uses a better sounding op-amp compared to the mkI.   (BA2115 instead of BA4580)

I thought I mentioned this before, but the Headphone knob is improved on the mkII as well - better taper and finer control.

Thanks for sharing the info tomuo!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »

Tom - Has Tascam addressed the chronic overheating problems with the DR-680 and if so, how? Also, as the power input protection been enhanced? The first two 680s I owned were immediately fried or had firmware corruption due to improper dc input power protection.

Offline PiotrSzmidt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
Hello everybody, long time reader.

I've read whole 6 threads about DR680. I'm also owner MK I for a year now. I did a capicator mod myself and i must say i can see a difference.

Also about battery power i build a power supply myself. Can say that its checked for more than a 6 months of use and its very good and stable. No problem with overheating and its very efficent.

I used LI-PO battery 11,1 V 25C 10000 mAh (like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10000mAh-11-1V-ZOP-25C-Li-poly-Lipo-Battery-For-Car-Boat-RC-Airplane-Plane-/271587643995) connected to power stabilizer/converter (http://botland.com.pl/przetwornice-step-up-step-down/2127-przetwornica-regulowana-step-upstep-down-s18v20alv-4-12v-2a.html).  This converter is essetnial: you can put any DC voltage from range 2,9 V ti 32 V and you can set (useing multimeter) a desire output voltage in a range between 4V to 12V, and its also giveing max 2A power on the end. I know that its 500mA less that's on the AC power adapter, buts by my test its a bit more thats realy needed - checekd on working unit, all 3 phantoms ON and recording.

This battery give me about 7-8h of recording at least. Never used all. Also there is one more thing thats good with that stabilizer. If the battery is fresh after charge it will give you a bit more  (still less than 12V, but in case of other kind of battery - perhaps higher voltage - it will drop the voltage down to 12V). With time when the battery discharge the voltage will drop, so the converter will upscale the voltage to 12V - cost of capicty of the battery. If the converter will not able to scale the voltage more, and the output voltage will drop more than 1V it will cut off the circut - so the unit will switch to internal battery.

Edit: Also the good idea is to add LiPo Buzzer, not to destroy battery cell with overdischarging.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:54:33 PM by PiotrSzmidt »

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
Where does everyone set there mix levels for independent channels and stereo mix too??

Todd

Offline bdasilva

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
Hello everybody, long time reader.

I've read whole 6 threads about DR680. I'm also owner MK I for a year now. I did a capicator mod myself and i must say i can see a difference.

Hmm, are you taking orders?
 ;D

Offline Chuck

« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
What capacitor did you swap?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline PiotrSzmidt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
Capicators for P48 mod. Ill search the gerslutz for revelant topic with instruction. Its realy simple task. Takes about 30 min if you got just basic skilla wit soldering.

Ok, so the oryginal post of Bert from Audiomaster: http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amforum/index.php/topic,8654.45.html

Also the schema: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/889971-tascam-dr680-opinions-alternatives-2.html

And how its look like to do (photos by @pwhodges)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:52:12 PM by PiotrSzmidt »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2015, 07:09:54 PM »
Awesome. Thanks!

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
So if I understand correctly...the capacitor mod is to reduce noise when using phantom power? Can somebody indicate when the noise occurs? Only with certain mics? True condensers? Electrets? Dynamics?

I know - at least with my unit - that if I'm using a dynamic mic, there's no perceptible difference in noise if phantom is on or off. I don't have any true condensers, and I haven't (yet) done any comparisons with the electrets I do have (which of course would require another preamp for comparison).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com