Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking sensitive microphones  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Seeking sensitive microphones
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 05:51:10 PM »
I got excited back in 2008-ish when the 5100 was announced because it was somewhat similar to my arrangement.

A couple threads from back then:
dpa 5.1
Re: DPA 5100 into a hat?

In the first thread I was trying to figure out what's going on inside and even drew a speculative drawing based on the published polar-patterns for each of the 5 primary channels of the 5100.  I've never actually seen one in person, much less looked inside. As I recall, this was prior to DPA offering miniature cardioids and supercards.  The 5100 was likely the first DPA product to use them, in the coincident center position if not in all five positions.  If so it probably uses a miniature omni for the .1 output channel. Output is 5.1.

My arrangement is different in not using any directional mics, instead boundary mounting the omnis on separate faces of the baffle, and that makes the omnis quite directional from the mid-range up.  The mics face forward, back, and left/right.  The baffle is considerably wider in the L/R dimension so the front and backward facing omnis end up being more directional than the L/R pair that are mounted on much narrower curved baffle faces, but are spaced farther apart to compensate.  Output is L/C/R/S.

Edit- if DPA (or anyone) made a miniature figure-8, I'd really love to turn each of those omnis into a on-baffle-boundary-mounted M/S pair, which would require 8 channels total, but would be great fun to play around with, would provide a lot of additional flexibility and potentially make it even better.  But I love this arrangement as is for any seated performance from the right location, especially classical.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:05:26 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 09:22:27 PM »
Gut, you said the 5100 may have been the first DPA product to use mini directional mics, but I believe it uses all omni capsules according to what you said earlier in your linked posts. I really would love to see inside one too, to get a look at the interference tubes and baffles. From what I've heard it's sewn shut. The only thing removable is the optional outdoor furry cover.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 10:17:45 PM »
Heh, thanks. I had to go back and read my own posts again and look at the polars.

Right, does seem all omnis in there, along with what seemed their first use of the tiny interference tubes which later became standard on all of their then-still-to-come miniature directionals, using at least two different very short tube lengths depending on model.  In the 5100, the omnis with the interference tubes installed remain omni until pretty far up, then go increasingly directional with frequency. A 5100 upgraded with their later super/hyper miniatures in the coincident L/R and C positions would probably work better! ..but even that is not really directional enough for 3 coincident forward facing channels.

My apologies to the OP for the OT tangent.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com