Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How wide do you space your omnis?  (Read 6200 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
How wide do you space your omnis?
« on: November 04, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »
When using a spaced pair of omnis, how do you determine the best amount of separation based on how far you are away from the sound source, how large the group is, etc?  Much of what i read suggest quite large spacing, like 6 feet, but in my studio, when i do a piano/violin duo or similar, i find that even 2 feet apart results in an overwide LR playback, too much separation, hole in the middle thing.   What do youse guys use?  danke.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How wide do you space your omnis?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
Good question. I'm interested to.

This is the rule I know, when you're outdoor use omni in X/Y pattern but a lot of the rig photos look like they are right next to each other and not necessarily x/y so what gives? Whats the advice?

peace,
sean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »
i've always enjoyed results from a 3' split but that is in a particular room that sounds great where i'm about 20 ft from the stage.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
Here's a blatant self-reference to a post of mine on things to consider when running spaced omnis.  Here's another in a seperate thread.  And yet another.  Feel free to read the other posts in those threads too.  :P
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Here's a blatant self-reference to a post of mine on things to consider when running spaced omnis.  Here's another in a seperate thread.  And yet another.  Feel free to read the other posts in those threads too.  :P

I recently recorded some thunder at 50 cm (~20")...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=62278

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=62275

Worked for me :)

then again any old baffle separated by about 6" is good too...this one is an improvised baffle and I think it did the trick...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=57668

like Mr Gutbucket said, whatever works. I am however very partial to baffled omnis.

digifish

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:34:16 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »
When using a spaced pair of omnis, how do you determine the best amount of separation based on how far you are away from the sound source, how large the group is, etc? 

Unbaffled spaced omnis only record phase differences between their positions.  While the phase cancellations provides a good feeling of spaciousness, they really don't provide provide any detailed spatial information.

There's a better way to do spaced omnis: use a baffle -- either a Jecklin or a Schneider Disk.  Using either one, you'll get the all the omni features we love (a very flat frequency response, much better bass response and much better resistance to wind and handling noise than cardioids), and strong (really strong) location cues.

You can see pictures of both Disks on our Web site.  You can also see a picture of a Jecklin Disk on the Josephson site.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »
When using a spaced pair of omnis, how do you determine the best amount of separation based on how far you are away from the sound source, how large the group is, etc? 

Unbaffled spaced omnis only record phase differences between their positions. 

So arrival time is not encoded by a spaced omni?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Phase is arrival time (in a sense), but the question then becomes can our brain/ear systems make sense of the recorded phase information to decode spatial location, and the answer is generally no.  Especially when played back over a stereo playback system.  You'll hear the "comb filtering", and that's what we perceive as spatial info.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
I'm another proponent of baffles. Omnis can work work from very far back if you understand why and how to apply them.  Take all opinions with a grain of salt, read, digest, experiment and follow your ears.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 01:11:36 AM »
jnorman wrote:

> Much of what i read suggest quite large spacing, like 6 feet, but in my studio, when i do a piano/violin duo or similar, i find that even 2 feet apart results in an overwide LR playback, too much separation, hole in the middle thing.

Many people seem to assume that you couldn't possibly get adequate stereo "separation" from omnidirectional microphones unless they are rather wide apart. But as you've found out, that's a misconception. I really don't know where it comes from, except to note that strangely, some people adhere to "visually driven" theories about audio even when they don't work.

A baffle of some kind can often help, as people here are suggesting; to me the best sounding type seems to be a sphere with the diaphragms of the microphones even with its surface. But even without a solid object between the microphones, you usually don't need wide spacing for good stereo pickup. And I would say that the spacing should be kept as narrow as possible consistent with good overall balance, to hold the "hole in the middle" effect to a dull roar.

--best regards
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:13:30 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:56 AM »
I rarely space omni's wide than ~18".  I use the Williams charts to determine the separation and follow his techniques.  They work quite well.  He has built upon the research of others.  As this is all physics I do not feel the need to reproduce experiments of others.  Instead I follow their guidance.  There are some who like wider spacing.  Williams' papers are on this board in this sub-forum as a sticky at the top of the sub-forum page.

I have a Jecklin which I need to adapt to working with my current preferred omni's.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »
Good question. I'm interested to.

This is the rule I know, when you're outdoor use omni in X/Y pattern but a lot of the rig photos look like they are right next to each other and not necessarily x/y so what gives? Whats the advice?

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.  If you are using omnis in an XY pattern, you will get no spacing whatsoever with the omnis and the sound will be mono, given the nondirectional nature of omnis.

For outdoor shows and festivals, I like spacing my omnis about three to four feet apart; more than that and I get a hole in the center.  I don't use a J-disc, but then again, I am an extraordinarily lazy taper.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »
I usually split 3'. 
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
You might also have a look at Ray Kimber's IsoMike:

http://www.isomike.com/

His recordings are quite fine.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »
That one is tough on sightlines!  I met Ray last spring and talked with him about his IsoMike rig.  I keep thinking about how to incorporate a baffle with a larger mic spacing between mics to set-up farther back in the room.  As the mics get further away from the baffle the baffle must increase in size to keep the same shadowed angle from mic to baffle edge. The IsoMike does that by scaling everything up to gigantic proportions.  I've considered trying two small baffles separated from each other, with the mics just outside of them.  Imagine placing mics the usual distance from a jecklin disk, then splitting that disk down the center like an Oreo cookie and moving the two halves apart.  Secondarily as a second variable, one could angle the baffle faces forward a bit as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com