Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so i finally got my JB3 and now i want opinions....  (Read 10057 times)

Offline jb3newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Oktava MK012 > (soon to be) W-Mod UA-5 > JB3
Re:so i finally got my JB3 and now i want opinions....
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 04:27:42 PM »
Id say cards if you are taping in small-med clubs.
Ubber is a cool sounding word

localtaper@taperssection.com

Offline obeythekitten

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »
i just checked the specs on both....is this going to be an issue if i get the Cardioids?

Cardioid Powered Stereo Microphone Specifications

*  100 - 12,000 Hz frequency response.  Bass rolls off at 100 hz and treble at 12 khz.

Omni Powered Mic with Bass Rolloff    Specifications

*  20 - 20,000 Hz flat frequency response

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 05:02:39 PM »
i just checked the specs on both....is this going to be an issue if i get the Cardioids?

Is what going to be an issue?  The frequency response?  Just need some clarification to address the question.

Cardioid Powered Stereo Microphone Specifications

*  100 - 12,000 Hz frequency response.  Bass rolls off at 100 hz and treble at 12 khz.

This is a pretty limited frequency response, and you'll find the recordings will suffer from lack of bass and diminished highs as a result.  Many of the mics we use for field recording offer frequency response of 20Hz - 20 kHz.  So you can see, relatively speaking, 100 Hz - 18 kHz is fairly limited.

To me, the bottom line is:  if you like the sample recordings, go for it.  If you find the sample recordings lacking in some fashion (e.g. not enough bass), seek out alternatives.

What's your budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline obeythekitten

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2004, 05:13:49 PM »
well i honestly want to keep this as cheap as possible as this is moreso a fun thing i can also use my JB3 for rather than the sole reason i bought a JB3.

i really liked what i heard with the omni mics (which is what the samples were) but are people saying its not a good idea to use them because of what else they will pick up?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004, 05:19:19 PM »
Omnidirectional mics are just that - they pick up sound from all directions.  Directional mics pick up sound from specific directions, though different patterns are wider and others are narrower.  From widest to narrowest:

subcardioid
cardioid
hypercardioid/supercardioid
shotgun

So, yeah, omnis will pick up more crowd noise around you than directional mics.  If you like the sound samples you posted, then go for it - if you don't do what *your* ears like, you'll never be happy with your recordings.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 05:22:15 PM »
Omnidirectional microphones will pick up sounds from all directions, not just whatever direction they're pointed.

By all means, start off with whatever is in your budget.

Chances are one of three things will happen:
1) you hate the feeling of stressing over your gear at shows (includes sneaking in, if you're stealthig) & will eventually stop/sell the gear you've accumulated

2) love pulling the tapes and are satisfied with the sound quality you get from your current setup

3) love pulling the tapes and get bit by the upgrade bug. once that happens its only a matter of time before you begin to covet other setups & desire a pre/ad and mic upgrade.

No matter what anyone says, have a good time first and foremost.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 05:22:54 PM by mirth »
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline obeythekitten

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2004, 05:27:29 PM »
well they didnt provide samples of the cards in action only the omnis although i was pleased with the samples from the omni mics.......so the much smaller frequency range would be a big downer compared to the omnis? i'm THIS close to takin out the credit card and buying those omnis unless someone tells me otherwise.

my plan is to stealth sometimes but *most* of the time set them up ghetto-style to my jb3 on a stand.

Offline mirth

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 05:43:27 PM »
If you like them, buy them. Just remember that the omnis will pick up sounds from every direction.... up, down, left, right, back. So the annoying guy right behind you whose talking loudly all night will for sure be heard on your recording.

I think the three possible scenarios above still apply. Keep in mind you're going to need extra power for the jb3.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 02:26:42 AM »
I case you aren't aware, the battery box isn't a preamp.  Somewhere you need to bring the mic level signal up to line level.  Personally, I would never let a consumer piece of gear do this process for me.  I have owned portable MD recorders and an M1 and I wouldn't use the mic-in jack on any of them.  Hence, I would never even consider the possibility of maybe thinking about pondering the fact that the JB3 HAS a mic-input and ESPECIALLY never consider the use of it.  More simply, get an outboard pre.  Or use the JB3, whatever you want.

As for the mics, the response on the cards sucks donkey balls.  If it's between those 2, go omnis.  ALso, check out the Dynamic Audio "Binaurals" if you are looking to go that route.  If you are willing to spend $200 on mics and power, I can give you much better advice in the stealthing realm.

good luck!
peace
~schwills

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2004, 02:59:10 AM »
www.dynamicaudio.cjb.net  <-- on occasion i use the dynamic audio "binaurals" with the fixed battery box (no bass rolloff) plugged directly into the njb3 line in.  I must say my tapes aren't as good as when i used all my handy dandy taper gear, but in a pinch and in situations where stealthing is the only option, these work great for what they are.  I should probably get better stealth mics, but i prefer to use my other equipment so i think its a waste of money.

you can run them directly into the njb3's line in when you use the battery box.  however, it'll sound better with a preamp and an analog > digital converter.  You'd also have better luck with a solid pair of condensors.  I use the superlux mics at the moment while i save up for bigger and better and i must say they're a great set of starter mics.  they came with windscreens, shockmounts, tbar, stand adapter, binaural caps, hyper caps, cardioid caps, and a case - all for $150.

start small and get bigger, and practice, practice, practice.  The easiest way to make a good tape is to know what you're doing, the only way to know what you're doing is buy experience.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline obeythekitten

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
I case you aren't aware, the battery box isn't a preamp.  Somewhere you need to bring the mic level signal up to line level.  Personally, I would never let a consumer piece of gear do this process for me.  

As for the mics, the response on the cards sucks donkey balls.  If it's between those 2, go omnis.  ALso, check out the Dynamic Audio "Binaurals" if you are looking to go that route.  If you are willing to spend $200 on mics and power, I can give you much better advice in the stealthing realm.

i am aware of the preamp issues, but this is something i can buy later once i get my feet wet with a little experience after going directly from mics >line in on my jb3

i don't even plan on stealthing close to a majority of the time, i just want to carry a small smount of equipment as possible for taping in smaller clubs, (attaching "stealth" style mics to a stand) from what i understand  Cardioid mics would serve me best here rather than blowing money on omnis?

i wanted to buy the giant squid mics as it seems like an ideal solution but the frequency range on their Cardioids are insufficient so i'm better off buying the omnis? is this correct?

Offline mirth

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2004, 02:19:40 PM »
my first 'rig' was a sealth omni on a stand setup > laptop and while it wasn't very good sound quality it did what I wanted it to do.

If you haven't checked it out yet, soundprofessionals.com has a large selection of miniature omni & directional microphones. It may be more what you're looking for....

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2004, 04:01:18 PM »
Check out the used SP mics in the yard sale. I owned the 831's & the few times I used them they made good tapes.

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=13356

also

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=12881
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2004, 05:00:50 PM »
I would also suggest the Sound Professionals at853's, these mics have made really good tapes. Keep a good eye on the yard sale section, you can score a helluva good deal on nice stuff all the time.

AND dont be afraid to go mics>battbox>jb3.  It might not sound as pristine as you would like, but on a budget  there's only soo much one can do.

If you like what your doing and want to go further, sell whatever mics you get and buy some new ones, then worry about pre>ad, just keep it fun ;)

bush
Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2004, 03:03:48 AM »
AND dont be afraid to go mics>battbox>jb3.  It might not sound as pristine as you would like, but on a budget  there's only soo much one can do.
Exactly...go ahead with the Giant Squids....either the omni or card (I can't imagine there is that much difference in those small mics).  It will work fine with the JB3.  You aren't going to be pulling recordings that are anywhere near as good as a more expensive setup....but make the initial low investment and see if you are into it.
I haven't actually heard the Giant Squid mics...but I'd assume they are comparable to the low cost Core Sound Binuarals..which I've herad a few good recordings by a friend of mine who has them (loads and loads of mediocre recordins as well).  

Be warned....if you do get into it, you'll most likely want to upgrade in the near future.   But then again you might not be into it...$90 isn't much to put into finding out.

Chapper

..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com